A White author calculated just how much racism has benefited her. Here’s what she found

Ezekiel 25:17

Veteran
Daps
Coli making it seem like every white person is rich volume #982 :banderas:

I know several white folks that are doing OK. Each of em got a basic house in a basic neighborhood or rent in a basic neighborhood, and drive used pickup trucks.

Easy-E

Suffering From Success | 1316 Days
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Island of Relevancy, Forever
This is way more important than we give it credit.

What is the ‘White bonus’ you describe in the book, and how is it different from White privilege?

The “White bonus” is an estimate of the money a White person gets or saves because of White supremacy, public policies or private practices. For me, this was a really humbling exercise.

I’ve been on food stamps and had a stranger live in the bedroom of my one bedroom apartment to save rent through those periods. But at the end of the day, my family has spent about $146,000 to help me out since I left home. That’s money they’re not required to spend by the government. That’s extra money they have.

As I dug into my family’s story, every time I started to peel back the layers, I thought, “Would grandpa have had the money if he wasn’t White?” Well, no. He became a banker around 1930 when across the whole United States, there were a quarter million bankers and only 80 of them were Black. Then he bought a house with a racial covenant (a clause in many 20th century property deeds that explicitly prohibited Black people from owning or occupying real estate).

My grandpa on my other side of the family was a millwright. That’s a job that often was racially restrictive in practice for a long time. He got that job because he worked for his dad, who ran a welding business from his dad. (My great-grandfather) came up from the Ozarks in the early 1900’s and got a job in the foundry at a General Motors plant outside of Detroit.

Easy-E

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Take the G.I. Bill (a post-World War II law that gave returning veterans free college, job training and other benefits). We created this benefit, that in practice, was only intended for White people. Maybe a few people of color were going to be able to access it and it was written as if it was colorblind, but everybody understood it was going to be implemented in a way that would benefit White people and nobody else. But we talk about benefits like that as if it is a natural right for an American to have.

Even "well meaning" White Ppl gotta stop this POC shyt.

Most non white ppl in America during this time were American Descedents of slavery.

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
Hopes her book does well
The 1st review on Amazon of her book :laff:

Daniel Garcia

1.0 out of 5 stars Its racist to think your rich because of racism
Reviewed in the United States on April 29, 2024

Worst theory ever. Your rich because your white so your staying rich by writing a book(s) to make money. People just like the author (white, single, liberal, City-dwelling (NYC & LA) women) are sitting at a desk making up ways to tell the most successful nation how bad we are to spread freedom and a high-standard of living around the world.

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
The 1st review on Amazon of her book :laff:

Daniel Garcia
1.0 out of 5 stars Its racist to think your rich because of racism
Reviewed in the United States on April 29, 2024

Worst theory ever. Your rich because your white so your staying rich by writing a book(s) to make money. People just like the author (white, single, liberal, City-dwelling (NYC & LA) women) are sitting at a desk making up ways to tell the most successful nation how bad we are to spread freedom and a high-standard of living around the world.
This is exactly the reason I hope it does well

BigMoneyGrip

I'm Lamont's pops
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Straight from Flatbush
Props to her for pointing it out.. That’s why I tell my brehs and sistas if you see a cac on the street begging for money don’t give them shyt… THEY ARR WHITE, ain’t no reason to be in that situation when your skin already gives you an advantage at a bare minimum

Marc Spector

the 4'11 Cuban
Daps
Reppin
The Milky Way
Even "well meaning" White Ppl gotta stop this POC shyt.

Most non white ppl in America during this time were American Descedents of slavery.
Most is not all and the second you dont mention non Black people, you lose credibility when someone inevitably comes out of the woodwork with "well actually my grandmother was Japanese, interned during the war and was subject to a lot of racism in the Bay Area including housing policies designed to keep Asians out".

I agree with you that the plight of African Americans needs to be singularly highlighted. But any significant progress we make doesnt happen without buy in from Non Black people and that doenst happen if the message isnt palpable to Non Black people who have some shred of dignity.

Easy-E

Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Most is not all and the second you dont mention non Black people, you lose credibility when someone inevitably comes out of the woodwork with "well actually my grandmother was Japanese, interned during the war and was subject to a lot of racism in the Bay Area including housing policies designed to keep Asians out".

I agree with you that the plight of African Americans needs to be singularly highlighted. But any significant progress we make doesnt happen without buy in from Non Black people and that doenst happen if the message isnt palpable to Non Black people who have some shred of dignity.

The problem is diluting the history of black people (descendants of slaves) to make it fit.

There's no brown slavery.

There's no LGBT red lining.

Most "POCs" were litterally not in this country before the 1950's. I say that with respect--just quoting the facts.

RamsayBolton

Superstar
Daps
The problem is diluting the history of black people (descendants of slaves) to make it fit.

There's no brown slavery.

There's no LGBT red lining.

Most "POCs" were litterally not in this country before the 1950's. I say that with respect--just quoting the facts.

Mentioning that other people of color were getting mistreated by white people doesn't really detract from our own plights.

IDK about population numbers but white people were doing everyone dirty. A few reminders is fine.