About to cop(no pun intended) an ex-police unit...

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
I currently have a civilian base model Crown Vic LX, but it's an 02 and I desperately want to upgrade to a newer Police version CV or maybe even an ex Police Dodge Charger.

In case you're like ":mindblown: why would anyone want an ex-police vehicle??".. Well, for one, I'm not rich by any means, therefore, I need a good used car.. and I'm not in the market for benz's beemers and audis.

And I certainly do not like toyotas and hondas, or any other 'small' foreign car, for that matter. :comeon:

Plus I'm a gear head and know how to work on Vics :smile:.

But aside from that they are just flat out excellent cars to own, contrary to ignorant popular belief, and they are great to own for many reasons. Most notably their reliability, service records, and cheap repair if/when something finally does go wrong.

Take a quick glimpse at just some of the many differences between Police CV's (P71's) and civilian Crown Vics (P74's):

• The Police Interceptor is equipped with an external oil-to-engine-coolant oil cooler to reduce engine oil temperatures, allowing the vehicles to operate at high rpm/high loads for an extended period of time without the risk of engine oil overheating and subsequent engine damage.
  • The Police Interceptor engine calibration includes a slightly higher idle speed (by approximately 40 rpm) and minor changes in the emissions settings. The computer is tuned for more aggressive transmission shift points, and the transmission itself is built for firmer and harder shifts.
  • The 2006–present Police Interceptors are mostly equipped with a 3.27:1 rear axle ratio (Axle code Z5) and are electronically limited to 140 mph (225 km/h) due to critical driveline speed limitations. This compares to the standard non-P71 2.73 rear axle ratio with a speed limitation of 110 mph (177 km/h) for all "civilian" Crown Victorias.
  • Another difference is the P71's "severe duty" shock absorbers that offer a stiffer ride than the standard Crown Victoria. Police Interceptors also have higher-rate coil springs, approximately 0.8 inches (20.3 mm) of additional ground clearance, and thinner rear antiroll bars than the base Crown Victoria does not have a rear antiroll bar.
    mj.gif

• All Police Interceptors also come with T-409 stainless steel dual exhaust systems without resonators. Standard Crown Victorias come with a stainless steel single exhaust system.
    mj.gif

• On 2004 and newer models, P71s have a 200 A alternator and a 78 A hbattery. (both bigger/stronger than civilian Crown Victorias.)
  • Larger diameter front & rear anti-sway bars. Civilian units do not even come with a sway bar, let alone both front and rear equipped. The difference in handling/cornering are night and day between the two units.
  • 200 amp alternator with a clutch built in the pulley to prevent squealing on upshifts.
  • Heavy-duty front lower control arms (stiffer rubber bushes and thicker aluminum).
  • The P71 has a far more aggressive engine tune. The P71 odometer reads up to 140mph and generally top out at about 130ish, civilian reads 120mph and tops out at about 106-109mph due the factory tuned engine.
  • Black "honeycomb" grill. :mj:
  • Black rear panel between rear lights.
  • Bigger brakes (discs/pads)
    mj.gif
  • Bigger torque converter with higher stall speed
  • etc, etc, etc!!!!
    mj.gif

Naturally, the key is to find a low mileage mint condition unit, as you would with any vehicle. There is a huge difference between purchasing an ex FBI fleet 2008 Crown Vic with 90,000 miles on it, and an ex NYPD unit with 90,000 miles on it, get my drift? :comeon:

These are the choices I've narrowed it down to. Which one would you choose if you had about a $9500 spending limit :patrice: Keep in mind, $5000 or less is ideal, $9500+ is pushing to the limit, damn near living check by check for the next 3 mos, status: cont..

KyokushinKarateMan

Train hard, fight easy
Daps
Reppin
U.S.
2007 Ford Crown Victoria Police Interceptor
101, 323 miles
$3995.00

thumbImg.php

thumbImg.php

thumbImg.php

thumbImg.php