Abraham Lincoln and Civil War Myths, Explained

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
OG History is a Teen Vogue series where we unearth history not told through a white, cisheteropatriarchal lens. In this explainer, Adam Sanchez explains myths of the Civil War, including the truth about President Abraham Lincoln's motivations for ending the practice of slavery in the United States. Sanchez teaches at Harvest Collegiate High School in New York City and is an editor of Rethinking Schools magazine and the Zinn Education Project organizer and curriculum writer.

GettyImages-1308080.jpg

Earlier this week, Trump’s chief of staff, John Kelly, stated on Fox News that Confederate General Robert E. Lee was an “honorable man” who fought “for his state” and that “the lack of an ability to compromise . . . on both sides" led to the Civil War.

In these comments, Kelly parroted one of the many Civil War myths: that the war was a dispute over states’s rights. This fable was widely promoted by the United Daughters of the Confederacy, which rewrote textbooks across the South to deemphasize the “right” that Southern leaders were most concerned with: profiting from the ownership of other human beings. This “Lost Cause” myth is particularly useful for Kelly and the Trump administration because it hides the essential reason the South seceded — to preserve slavery and white supremacy — allowing Trump’s white supporters to claim that they are preserving their “heritage” rather than racial privilege. Today, the idea of Confederate “heritage” as a unifying call for the white South pits white people against people of color.

But this isn’t the only Civil War myth still taught in schools. One of the biggest surprises for my high school students in New York City, who have been taught previously that President Abraham Lincoln freed the slaves, comes when they read Lincoln’s own words.

When running for Senate in 1858, Lincoln stated to a crowd in Illinois, “I will say, then, that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of bringing about in any way the social and political equality of the white and black races; that I am not, nor ever have been, in favor of making voters or jurors of negroes, nor of qualifying them to hold office, nor to intermarry with white people. . . . And inasmuch as they cannot so live, while they do remain together there must be the position of superior and inferior, and I as much as any other man am in favor of having the superior position assigned to the white race.”

When Lincoln was elected president, rather than a “lack of an ability to compromise,” he repeatedly offered racist compromises to the slaveholders in the South. In his first speech as president, given on March 4, 1861, Lincoln assured the South that he had “no purpose, directly or indirectly, to interfere with the institution of slavery in the States where it exists,” and he offered to support the Corwin Amendment, which would have prevented Congress from ever tampering with slavery in any state. In the first two years of the war, Lincoln floated other racist compromises, including preserving slavery until 1900, offering compensation to slaveholders (not to enslaved people), and attempting to have black people emigrate out of the country.

Students realize that even the Emancipation Proclamation, celebrated as the centerpiece of Lincoln’s benevolence, can be interpreted as a compromise. The preliminary Proclamation, issued in September 1862, gave Confederate states three months, until January 1, 1863, to rejoin the Union or Lincoln would declare their slaves free. The clear implication is that any state — or even part of a state — that rejoined in that time could maintain slavery. The Proclamation specifically exempts loyal slaveholders still in the Union. In fact, a huge portion — the most boring part, my students assure me — simply lists areas that are “left precisely as if this proclamation were not issued.”

In August 1862, Lincoln made clear in a response to New York Tribune editor Horace Greeley that slavery was not his primary concern. He wrote, “My paramount object in this struggle is to save the Union, and is not either to save or to destroy slavery. If I could save the Union without freeing any slave I would do it, and if I could save it by freeing all the slaves I would do it; and if I could save it by freeing some and leaving others alone I would also do that. What I do about slavery, and the colored race, I do because I believe it helps to save the Union.”

Therefore, it was not Lincoln but the white Southern leaders’s inability to accept any curtailment of slavery that prevented compromise. At the start of the war, Lincoln was under immense pressure from Northern elites who had financed slavery and from Northern businessmen whose profits depended on the cotton produced in the South. The entire U.S. economy was dependent on slave labor. While enslaved people made up less than 13% of the population in 1860, their economic worth (in dehumanizing capitalist terms) was valued at more than the factories, banks, and railroads combined. This is why shortly after the South seceded, in 1861, Mayor Fernando Wood suggested to the New York City council that the city should go with it. Those in power in the North were desperate to “compromise” with the South, and Lincoln, at least initially, was happy to oblige.

There was another “side”— too often left out of textbooks — that refused to compromise. The abolitionists, one of the largest social movements in U.S. history, and, most important, the enslaved themselves understood that slavery was so monstrous that it needed to be completely eliminated. They refused to appease the slaveholding South. Abolitionists petitioned the government, organized rallies and public meetings, produced anti-slavery pamphlets and books, and created a vast network to harbor runaways.

Every step of the way, they criticized Lincoln’s half-measures. Condemning Lincoln and Congress’s proposals to compensate slaveholders, abolitionist John Rock asked a crowd in Abington, Massachusetts, “Why talk about compensating masters? Compensate them for what? What do you owe them? What does society owe them? Compensate the master? No, never. It is the slave who ought to be compensated. The property of the South is by right the property of the slaves. You talk of compensating the master who has stolen enough to sink ten generations, and yet you do not propose to restore even a part of that which has been plundered. This is rewarding the thief.”

The enslaved, who had fought back in various ways since slavery began, escalated their own resistance during the Civil War. As soon as the Union Army came within reach, enslaved people freed themselves — by the tens of thousands. As historian Vincent Harding so eloquently wrote, “This was black struggle in the South as the guns roared, coming out of loyal and disloyal states, creating their own liberty. . . . Every day they came into the Northern lines, in every condition, in every season of the year, in every state of health. . . . No more auction block, no more driver’s lash. This was the river of black struggle in the South, waiting for no one to declare freedom for them. . . . The rapid flow of black runaways was a critical part of the challenge to the embattled white rulers of the South; by leaving, they denied slavery’s power and its profit.”

These runaways also created a political problem for Lincoln’s strategy of compromise, as well as an opportunity for the all-white Union Army, in desperate need of soldiers and laborers. For all its problems, Lincoln’s Emancipation Proclamation was an acknowledgement that the Union needed black soldiers to win the war, and the Proclamation officially opened the Army to African-Americans for the first time. With black soldiers now taking up arms against the South, Lincoln’s war for union was transformed into a war for liberation. The uncompensated emancipation of four million people from slavery ushered in a revolutionary transformation of U.S. society led by African-Americans.

The reason this history is so often hidden or distorted is because truly understanding the causes of the Civil War, and how that war was transformed, requires a view of history that sees beyond presidents, generals, and the elites. As historian Howard Zinn stated, “Whatever progress has been made in this country has come because of the actions of ordinary people, of citizens, of social movements.” That progress has come because people have refused to compromise on justice and equality.

No doubt, this is what scares people like President Donald Trump and Kelly: that those uncompromising people, black and white, might unite once again against those in power.

David_TheMan

Banned
Daps
If the union cared about abolishing slavary they would have abolished immediately, not waited until after the war to do so.
They might have wrote an emancipation proclamation freeing slaves in the union, not just rebel states and they would have done it immediately.
The union would not have entered in and voted on the corwin amendment.Corwin Amendment - Wikipedia a amendment to the constitution that was presented March 1861 before the official declaration of war in april.
If Lincoln was against slavary he would not have endorsed this amendment and tried to get the southern state governors to know he would push for it, if they stayed. Furthermore the union wouldn't have only withdrawn the amendment after the war was won.

We as black americans need to abandon the idea that white americans fought a war for our benefit, they did not, they fought it for white interests on both sides. The Union and the Confederates were both equally white supremacist racist bigots. End of, and if Lincoln had lived god knows how many black americans would have died when he was planning on loading us on boats and force resettling us somewhere in africa.

The civil war isn't black americans war, if it was the USA wouldn't have treated black americans as badly as they did as if for some slaves things never changed.
I would suggest some of you read Slavary by another name, to see what the US government knowingly allowed to happen to black slaves recently freed, such as putting them back in the same slave pens to work for the same slave owners, except under the guise of prison labor.

Mensch Fontana

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SOHHICEY
If the union cared about abolishing slavary they would have abolished immediately, not waited until after the war to do so.
They might have wrote an emancipation proclamation freeing slaves in the union, not just rebel states and they would have done it immediately.
The union would not have entered in and voted on the corwin amendment.Corwin Amendment - Wikipedia a amendment to the constitution that was presented March 1861 before the official declaration of war in april.
If Lincoln was against slavary he would not have endorsed this amendment and tried to get the southern state governors to know he would push for it, if they stayed. Furthermore the union wouldn't have only withdrawn the amendment after the war was won.

We as black americans need to abandon the idea that white americans fought a war for our benefit, they did not, they fought it for white interests on both sides. The Union and the Confederates were both equally white supremacist racist bigots. End of, and if Lincoln had lived god knows how many black americans would have died when he was planning on loading us on boats and force resettling us somewhere in africa.

The civil war isn't black americans war, if it was the USA wouldn't have treated black americans as badly as they did as if for some slaves things never changed.
I would suggest some of you read Slavary by another name, to see what the US government knowingly allowed to happen to black slaves recently freed, such as putting them back in the same slave pens to work for the same slave owners, except under the guise of prison labor.
WW2 wasnt about the Jews but it benefited them, same shyt different war

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
The Civil War was totally about slavery for the confederacy, don't get that twisted. The fact that Lincoln was a moderate (at the time) on the issue of slavery and had several quotes saying that he did not agree with it on a personal level, was a big part in why they seceded. He also said that he would not allow new states added to the union to be slave states, which would have put them behind the free states in terms of voting. They felt the tide was coming that the union was going to impose their will on them and take away the most important aspect of their economy, which was free labor.

However, the Union/Lincoln did not have the same intentions as the Confederacy feared. Without the South seceding, Lincoln does not abolish slavery. Maybe it happens 15-20 years later, but not during LIncoln's term. From a political perspective, they did not free the slaves out of compassion for them. They did it as a power move to hurt the South. Mind you, there were some abolitionists and somewhat compassionate people that spoke out against slavery, but they were rare in the political system. And even of those folks just wanted to see blacks as a permanent underclass in society. They didn't want to see us free to become lawyers and doctors.

If kids are still learning that Lincoln freed the slaves out of the kindness of his heart, that surprises me. I took American History in 1994-1995, with a Jewish teacher, and both the textbook and his lectures were aligned with what actually happened. I can't imagine any HS textbook printed in the past 25 years that would paint a picture of Lincoln as an emancipator. If these teachers and textbooks exist, it needs to be called out.

Over the years I've spoke with many white people on the issue of the Civil War and Lincoln, and pretty much all of them will admit he was a racist and did not have our best interests at heart. But he was the right person at the right time because the fact that he represented the North's interests was the catalyst to the war that allowed us to at least get out of physical bondage. Plus he was able to preserve the union. If he's given props it should only be for that, but not in any way related to the freeing of slaves.