Active shooter at UNLV campus /*3 faculty members killed, gunman,Anthony Polito, killed by police/ Finals canceled/ *updates in OP

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
UPDATED NEWS REPORT

In person activities suspended, Finals cancelled

3rd shooting victim died

University of Nevada, Las Vegas

President's Message​

Dec. 6, 2023, 7:31pm
Dear UNLV Community,
Today is a tragic day for UNLV. It is with the utmost sadness and grief that I am writing to you about a shooting that took place late this morning on our campus – our home. We're all still in shock as we process the unfathomable event. Members of our community lost their lives and others were injured. My heart aches for our UNLV family. I know all of us are sending our love and support to the victims, their families, and friends during this difficult time.
While the investigation remains active at this time, what we know is this. At approximately 11:45 a.m. on Dec. 6, University Police Services issued an alert to shelter in place following a report of shots fired in Frank and Estella Beam Hall on UNLV's Maryland Pkwy campus. Officers worked swiftly to tend to victims and to identify and contain the suspect, who is confirmed deceased. There is no longer an active threat to the UNLV campus. A family reunification and assistance center has been established at the Las Vegas Convention Center, North Hall 1 and 2. Mental health support services and other resources are currently available there. Call 702-455-AIDE (2433) or visit www.facofsouthernnevada.org/ for more information.
All classes and academic and academic-related activities, as well as, UNLV performing arts activities are canceled through Sunday, Dec. 10. UNLV Health (Medicine) clinical practice and dental practice will be open for patient care. All faculty and staff should work remotely Thursday and Friday and check with their supervisors for further guidance or with any questions. Some staff may be asked to work from the office depending on their job function. We are currently evaluating campus operations for next week and will update faculty, staff, and students accordingly after a further assessment is made.
We are also working closely with law enforcement to allow faculty, staff, and students to have access to campus to pick up personal belongings and other needed items later this evening, and a notification text will be shared with the campus community. We have been informed there will be no access to Beam Hall, the Flora Dungan Humanities building, the Student Union, Wright Hall Buildings A, B, and C, and the UNLV Book Store until further notice. We are also working to get students back into their campus housing accommodations this evening, and ensure they have access to food and other essential services. Please watch for future notices or visit UNLV.edu for the latest official updates.

Student Counseling & Psychological Services (CAPS) will be providing crisis support services to students both in-person and via telehealth beginning tomorrow, Dec. 7. Please contact 702-895-3627 or caps@unlv.edu to access support services.
In addition, the Student Health Center and Faculty and Staff Treatment (FAST) Center plan to be open with full healthcare services available. Please call 702-895-3370 for more information. UNLV faculty and staff are also encouraged to use the Employee Assistance Program.
I am incredibly grateful to the countless first responders from University Police Services, the Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Department, Clark County Fire Department, and all emergency responders and medical personnel for their immediate and dedicated response. Their actions today were brave, heroic, and indicative of the strength and resilience of our community.
I also commend our students, staff, and visitors, who heeded the call to shelter in place on our main campus while officers responded and subsequently went from building to building to ensure everyone's safety.
We will forever remember and honor those we have lost and who were injured. I'm grieving for the victims of today's senseless shooting, and my heart breaks for the many students, faculty, staff, parents, loved ones, and community members who suffered through hours of painful uncertainty while officers ensured that our campus was safe and secure again.
UNLV is strong and UNLV is resilient. Our community of faculty, staff, students, and alumni will pull together to support one another in this time of crisis. Know it's okay not to be okay at this dark time. Ask for help if you need it. You are part of an incredible community and together we will pull through.
Sincerely,
Keith E. Whitfield, Ph.D.
President

Last edited:

Prince.Skeletor

Don’t Be Like He-Man
Daps
Reppin
Bucktown
I personally believe that we cannot decouple mass shootings from war & foreign policy.

People say it’s guns & video games, but other countries have guns & video games & no such seriously frequent mass shootings.

But the country with the most mass shooting is also the country with the most blood on their hands.
Whether directly, by proxy or as a proxy.

8====D

¡Vamos Spurs Vamos!
Daps
Reppin
210 | 334
Shootings will never stop.

Unfortunately, it is what it is.

Stay strapped when you can and aware of your surroundings, no matter how comfortable the environment might feel.

Stay safe all my brehs and brehettes.

DonB90

Superstar
Bushed
Daps
I personally believe that we cannot decouple mass shootings from war & foreign policy.

People say it’s guns & video games, but other countries have guns & video games & no such seriously frequent mass shootings.

But the country with the most mass shooting is also the country with the most blood on their hands.
France? England? Germany?:ohhh:

And its the access to guns. I'm positive crazy people exist in every corner of the world. how many of them can order an AR-15 online then drive down to the local gun shop to pick it up like its a Chipotle to go order?

Digital Omen

All Star
Daps
Nothing will change until the child of a powerful individual is hit.
"violent" countries like El Salvador, Brazil, Haiti, etc...they don't have this shyt. Their shyt is street, not some random MS-13 going on a rampage at a university or elementary school in Salvador.
It is what it is. Until a powerful individual feels the pain personally, expect more of the same.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Here we go again. :francis:

Nah, most Americans don't even care about foreign policy. The real problem is obvious, people just don't want to admit it because they're caught up in gun culture - there are just way too many guns in circulation and they're too easy to get.

That's the real reason why it happens so much here. Every country has mentally ill people, it's just that here they can easily go buy or borrow a gun.

acri1

The Chosen 1
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Detroit
Nothing will change until the child of a powerful individual is hit.
"violent" countries like El Salvador, Brazil, Haiti, etc...they don't have this shyt. Their shyt is street, not some random MS-13 going on a rampage at a university or elementary school in Salvador.
It is what it is. Until a powerful individual feels the pain personally, expect more of the same.

That won't make a difference. No one powerful person getting shot is going to make Congress pass gun control laws or really do anything else.

The only way this will change is if people start voting better. But that's unlikely since most of America is :mjpls: and obsessed with guns.