#ADOS Byron Allens Lawsuit Struck Down: Attack On Civil Rights, or Defense of But For?

Do you support the Supreme Court Decision?

• No, they are attacking the rights black Americans fought extremely hard to gain

• Yes, he needs to prove beyond waiver-able doubt that this is all based off race

Results are only viewable after voting.

SupremexKing

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC/DOHA
Supreme Court sides with Comcast in Byron Allen’s racial discrimination lawsuit

The Supreme Court sides with Comcast in Byron Allen’s racial discrimination case
by Christian Hetrick, Updated: March 23, 2020

JC7MZYD73ZHCRBJVWGL2IFADHM.jpg

CHRIS CARLSON / AP

The U.S. Supreme Court sided with Comcast in a high-stakes civil rights case Monday, ruling that media mogul Byron Allen must show race was the determining reason that the cable company refused to carry his channels in order for his discrimination case to survive.

In a unanimous decision, the Supreme Court ruled that a lower court used the wrong legal standard in allowing Allen’s $20 billion racial discrimination lawsuit to proceed. The Supreme Court sent the case back to the Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit in California for reconsideration.

The case was closely watched by legal experts and civil rights groups, which warned that a Comcast victory could make it harder for others to bring racial discrimination cases by setting a high bar. The case drew in business groups and the Trump administration, which filed briefs supporting Comcast, and more than two dozen civil rights groups, including the NAACP, which backed Allen.

Allen, an African American entertainment executive, says the Philadelphia cable giant racially discriminated against him when it refused to carry his cable-TV channels on its systems. Comcast says race had nothing to do with rejecting Allen’s channels, noting that they had low ratings.

The high court did not weigh the merits of Allen’s allegations. At issue was whether a person filing a racial-discrimination lawsuit must allege that race was the determining reason that a contract decision was made, or if a person can merely allege that race was one “motivating factor” for a case to proceed.

“To prevail, a plaintiff must initially plead and ultimately prove that, but for race, it would not have suffered the loss of a legally protected right,” Justice Neil Gorsuch wrote on behalf of the court, in an opinion released Monday morning.

“We are pleased the Supreme Court unanimously restored certainty on the standard to bring and prove civil rights claims," Comcast said in a statement. “The well-established framework that has protected civil rights for decades continues. The nation’s civil rights laws have not changed with this ruling; they remain the same as before the case was filed.”

Allen said he would continue his fight by asking Congress and presidential candidates to revise the statute in question to overcome the Supreme Court’s ruling.

“Unfortunately, the Supreme Court has rendered a ruling that is harmful to the civil rights of millions of Americans,” Allen said in a statement. “This is a very bad day for our country.”

He filed his $20 billion suit under Section 1981 of the Civil Rights Act of 1866, a Reconstruction-era law that prohibits discrimination against African Americans in business contracts. Specifically, the law ensures that everyone in the United States has the “same right” to make and enforce contracts.

Comcast petitioned the Supreme Court to hear the case after the Ninth Circuit ruled that Allen’s suit had sufficient claims to proceed to discovery and depositions. The cable giant said the Ninth Circuit’s decision loosened standards on discrimination cases.

Civil rights groups blasted the Supreme Court’s decision.

Derrick Johnson, NAACP president and CEO, called the ruling a “huge step backward in our march toward achieving equal opportunity for all."

“This ruling weakens our nation’s oldest civil rights statute and may shut the courthouse door on some discrimination victims who, at the complaint stage, may simply be without the full range of evidence needed to meet the court’s heightened standard," said Kristen Clarke, president and executive director of the Lawyers’ Committee for Civil Rights Under Law, based in Washington.

Allen is a successful comedian who worked with Jay Leno and David Letterman and now controls the largest African American-owned entertainment company in Hollywood. In February 2015, when he sued Comcast in federal court for not carrying his channels, the Philadelphia cable giant was seeking to acquire Time Warner Cable, which would later be acquired by Charter Communications.

A federal judge initially dismissed the suit, brought by Allen’s Entertainment Studios Networks and the National Association of African American-Owned Media, concluding there could be legitimate business reasons for Comcast to act as it did. Allen then appealed.

Among other things, Allen alleges that a Comcast executive told someone at Entertainment Studios Networks that “we’re not trying to create any more Bob Johnsons.” Johnson is an African American TV executive who created Black Entertainment Television, or BET, and sold it to Viacom for $3 billion almost two decades ago. Court documents do not say who at Comcast allegedly made that comment or when.

TLDR: Byron Allens lawsuit that used the Civil Rights Act of 1866 to force Comcast to pick up his channels, citing racial discrimination was struck down by the Supreme Court after being validated in the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals in CA, it has now been sent back to them for reconsideration, because racial bias needs to be proven as the sole reason. But for racism, this would have happened, is the logic.

Thoughts? Anyone feel as though this was a valid point? Or is this a further erosion of black peoples ability to punish racial discrimination in the court of law? Does this mean that we will no longer be able to use white peoples court system to conduct economic warfare against them?

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
Basically Ginsburg gave him an opening to find racial discrimination in discovery. But he has to find the evidence to prove it. Also, what she says is that the Congress needs to amend 1866 to allow what he's trying to sue for. Which is a "motivating factor" as opposed to "the defining concrete reason". A heavy burden indeed.

SupremexKing

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC/DOHA
Basically Ginsburg gave him an opening to find racial discrimination in discovery. But he has to find the evidence to prove it. Also, what she says is that the Congress needs to amend 1866 to allow what he's trying to sue for. Which is a "motivating factor" as opposed to "the defining concrete reason". A heavy burden indeed.

He'd have to find something akin to what, an actual recording or an email? So technically they are right, since Comcast has provided evidence that race isn't the only basis? So basically Allen has been tasked with asking white supremacy to change it's rules in his favor

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
He'd have to find something akin to what, an actual recording or an email? So technically they are right, since Comcast has provided evidence that race isn't the only basis? So basically Allen has been tasked with asking white supremacy to change it's rules in his favor

Did Comcast provide that evidence? People here have been saying there wasn't any evidence shown that Comcast was racist.

Either way Ginsburg told the Congress what they have to do to fix the problem. The CBC needs to get hit up all through 2020 to get that law changed.

SupremexKing

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC/DOHA
Did Comcast provide that evidence? People here have been saying there wasn't any evidence shown that Comcast was racist.

Either way Ginsburg told the Congress what they have to do to fix the problem. The CBC needs to get hit up all through 2020 to get that law changed.
i feel like both sides of the argument are based off conjecture and hearsay. from what I've seen is their logic is that it needs to be provable that race is the sole factor right? that's something that's damn near impossible to prove.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
:jbhmm:
1. I always found the basis of this suit odd. I interpreted the " Section 1981 of the Civil Rights Act of 1866" to mean that I as an African American has just as much right to...
  • Draw up(have a lawyer draw up) a contract.
  • Sign onto someone elses contract.
  • Have that contract enforced to the agreed upon terms.
I.E. If we agree on terms via contract you can't break the contract leaving me as an African American with no legal recourse to enforce those terms when every other groups terms are enforced. And my contract terms holds just as much weight to be enforced as anyone elses.

2. I do agree that not to even allow discovery to build a case with is to be plain ...."shytty".
That said I'm aware cases get tossed out all the time in the early stages, in which case discovery was not possible. I'm just not up on legal procedure enough to know what typifies a case(any case) that is tossed out before the discovery phase kicks in.

On a selfish note I know I want the freedom to contract with who I want to. If I want to do business with just black folks I don't want someone saying I must contract with them also. Now if I do have a contract with them then by all means enforce it. But just because I provide a service doesn't mean I should have to provide that service to you. Though interstate commerce clause has something to say about that ....

Hell he prob would have been better off using the tried and true interstate commerce angle :yeshrug:

Civil Rights.
It had been generally established some time ago that Congress had power under the Commerce Clause to prohibit racial discrimination in the use of the channels of commerce.Boynton v. Virginia, 364 U.S. 454 (1960); Henderson v. United States, Civil Rights Act of 1964, Title II, 78 Stat. 241, 243, 42 U.S.C. § 2000a(b). The Court sustained the Act as applied to a downtown Atlanta motel that did serve interstate travelers,Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States, 379 U.S. 241 (1964). to an out-of-the-way restaurant in Birmingham that catered to a local clientele but that had spent 46 percent of its previous year’s out-go on meat from a local supplier who had procured it from out-of-state,Katzenbach v. McClung, 379 U.S. 294 (1964). and to a rural amusement area operating a snack bar and other facilities, which advertised in a manner likely to attract an interstate clientele and that served food a substantial portion of which came from outside the state.Daniel v. Paul, 395 U.S. 298 (1969).

Writing for the Court in Heart of Atlanta Motel and McClung, Justice Clark denied that Congress was disabled from regulating the operations of motels or restaurants because those operations may be, or may appear to be, “local” in character. “[T]he power of Congress to promote interstate commerce also includes the power to regulate the local incidents thereof, including local activities in both the States of origin and destination, which might have a substantial and harmful effect upon that commerce.”Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States, 379 U.S. 241, 258 (1964); Katzenbach v. McClung, Heart of Atlanta Motel v. United States, 379 U.S. 241, 257 (1964).

The evidence did, in fact, noted the Justice, support Congress’s conclusion that racial discrimination impeded interstate travel by more than 20 million black citizens, which was an impairment Congress could legislate to remove.379 U.S. at 252–53; Katzenbach v. McClung, 379 U.S. 294, 299–301 (1964).

The Commerce Clause basis for civil rights legislation prohibiting private discrimination was important because of the understanding that Congress’s power to act under the Fourteenth and Fifteenth Amendments was limited to official discrimination.Civil Rights Cases, 109 U.S. 3 (1883); United States v. Reese, The Fair Housing Act (Title VIIII of the Civil Rights Act of 1968), 82 Stat. 73, 81, 42 U.S.C. §§ 3601 et seq., was based on the Commerce Clause, but, in Jones v. Alfred H. Mayer Co., 392 U.S. 409 (1968), the Court held that legislation that prohibited discrimination in housing could be based on the Thirteenth Amendment and made operative against private parties. Similarly, the Court has concluded that, although § 1 of the Fourteenth Amendment is judicially enforceable only against “state action,” Congress is not so limited under its enforcement authorization of § 5. United States v. Guest, 383 U.S. 745, 761, 774 (1966) (concurring opinions); Griffin v. Breckenridge, 403 U.S. 88 (1971).

- Civil Rights.

Last edited:

President Sakora

Supporter
Daps
if anyone's read "the new jim crow" you'd know the courts are complicit in racial discrimination. they won't even allow you to legally obtain the stats about particular things like the higher rate of prosecution for blacks in america to prove race is the factor in harsher sentencing.

it's an enlightening read it helps to explain a lot.

President Sakora

Supporter
Daps
wow only 4 votes and one page, this site's black membership has either gone to shyt or nikkas know all they need to know about the truths about race in america and are plain tired so they're steady doing their part to just stay afloat or they're finding a way to thrive despite it all.

ogc163

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Bronx, NYC
His case was always weak. I was disappointed in Tone and Yvette in co-signing Allen's hyping of the case, and exaggeration of the potential downside risks for the Black community.

videogamestashbox.com

Hotep
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
When I win I bring we with me
:yeshrug:
Tyler Perry WON
(Perry bet on & "contracted" with black people instead of begging white folks)
giphy.gif

:jbhmm:
Reminds me of my comment earlier in regard to that nonsense about Byron Allen not wanting to play in the negro leagues
Thats one of those things that sound good in theory but make no sense in practice.

A culture is the means & ways that a society meets it's various needs in a given environment.
The cultural production that comes about as a result of the above is the economy
Excess production above and beyond a societies needs are goods marked for export as some other societies luxury good

I.E. Those two things("negro leagues" & "global leagues") are not antithetical
The "negro leagues" as he calls it is your local economy while the "global leagues" is simply excess goods you sale as a luxury on the world market.

BASIC EXAMPLE:
Black music is a cultural production made to meet the needs of a given population("negro leagues")
The music industry takes those goods and sales them worldwide as a luxury good("global leagues")

6a00d83451b36c69e201bb0a0540f7970d-500wi

4713.jpeg

midia-music-forecasts-2018-2026.png

This kind of ass backwards thinking is part of the reason black people don't own our own music industry :martin:

If you have the negro leagues in front of you then...

• Buy cameras
  • Film games
  • market & distribute those games world wide(Europe, Japan, China, Korea, Brazil, Cuba, Jamaica, Trinidad, Ghana, South Africa, Kenya, India, etc etc)
Now you have a global entity:myman: ...rooted in a valued cultural product that you create & control:ufdup:

Don't get me wrong I'm proud of the brother:hubie: ...but rooting for him to make that power move:ufdup:

Sony to Buy Out EMI Music Publishing for About $2 Billion
EMI Music Publishing for sale at $4bn+, Sony has already held talks - report - Music Business Worldwide

:wow: