Advanced Warfare runs better on X1: Is Sony mandating 1080p at the sacrifice of smooth gameplay?

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...er&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=socialoomph

With patch version 1.04 installed, the PS4 version's constant 1080p output comes at a price. We catch dips between the 50-60fps lines during battles through Seoul's streets - with drops to the high 40s caught when throwing the 'threat' grenades to scan the area for enemies. Even in perfectly matched scenes, the Xbox One's performance tends to hold at a perfect 60fps by comparison.

Why wouldn't they just use the dynamic resolution technology being used in the X1 version. It's obvious they have the capability and that it offers a smoother gameplay experience. Same happened with ghosts. Plenty of other PS4 games would benefit from lower resolutions as well.

Is Sony pushing devs torward 1080p and forcing them to sacrifice gameplay so Sony can keep with the "most powerful" marketing strategy? Are PS4 owners ok with this?

B86

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Da Burgh
Honestly breh, it's 2014...the devs should be pushed to 1080p, but at the same time these a$$holes at MS and Sony should have released hardware that would handle 1080p/60 with no hiccups anywhere.

Even if the consoles had to cost more :yeshrug: . If I'm not mistaking, PS3 sold very well with a $600 (maybe it was $700) pricetag at launch

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Honestly breh, it's 2014...the devs should be pushed to 1080p, but at the same time these a$$holes at MS and Sony should have released hardware that would handle 1080p/60 with no hiccups anywhere.

Even if the consoles had to cost more :yeshrug: . If I'm not mistaking, PS3 sold very well with a $600 (maybe it was $700) pricetag at launch

No it didn't sell well at this price. And the idea that games "should" be at 1080p or anything else is exactly why we have the problems.

Devs are more concerned with numbers cause they are easier to market. You can put 1080p or 95 metacritic on your box. But you can't put advanced graphical techniques or new gameplay options on the box.

Devs shouldn't be pigeonholed into meeting some arbitrary standards. They should be free to bring their artistic vision.

What if a dev comes up with a new great idea, but has to scrap it cause they can't get it to 720p? Or what if things like A.I. could be better, but they don't put it in so it stays at 1080p? You ok with that? I'm not.

We've been playing games for decades and never cared about the specs of indivudual games so much. That was some shyt PC nerds did. I say leave them to it, and give devs the freedom to do whatever they want.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Right now, the majority of our testing has concentrated on the campaign mode, where Sledgehammer Games really pushes the boat out visually. However, we briefly dipped into the multiplayer mode on both systems in order to gain some first impressions on resolution and frame-rate. We'll need to test this much more thoroughly across a range of maps, but initial results suggest that the dynamic resolution switch is disabled on Xbox One, leading to a static 1360x1080 presentation throughout. Meanwhile, PS4 locks to native 1080p. This is significant, bearing in mind that multiplayer is the key focus for many COD fans, but the good news is that overall gameplay frame-rates seem just as solid as our recent testing on the Gamescom and EGX builds - a state of affairs that extends to both systems.
MP runs at a consistent 60fps 1920x1080p on PS4 and 60fps 1360x1080 on XB1.

MP video

Looks perfectly fine to me.

Last edited:

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
yea its just a few spots in the campaign

more important in the MP

side bar: ain't you the one who prefers 30fps? :laff:
The trade off isn't worth it for a barely perceptible difference.

Switching between Forza 5 and Forza Horizon, I can't see the difference in framerate, but I definitely can see the jump in graphics/detail.

I've switched back and forth on PC and the difference is more pronounced there so I can understand peoples preference when you have the extra power/options. But on consoles where compromises have to be made 60fps just isn't worth it.

is it black girl lost or shorty owe you for ice?
2aTO813.png

He can't see the difference between a locked 30fps game and a locked 60fps game but he can somehow see rare half second dips in a game that's basically running at 60fps 98% of the time?? :yawn:

:mjlol: @ "PS4 games could use lower resolutions."

mj-laughing.gif

Ryse would've been even better at 720P with that logic. :troll:

:snooze:

Last edited:

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
Smooth 30>>>>>jittery 60 especially if the extra power is used to improve graphics. It's difficult to call out a 30fps game if its super smooth like forza. It's very easy to notice inconsistent drops from 60 for a game built around that speed. But y'all already knew that and would rather come in here and try to attack me instead of talking about the topic at hand.

You bringing up my old thread only proves my point. If the cod devs could add more graphics, A.I. Ect, at 30fps. Then the game would be better for it.

As it stands they're stuck chasing these arbitrary standards and the experience is less because of it.

ll_simon

GQ MoTY Candidate
Daps
Reppin
#NJLives #LWO
Smooth 30>>>>>jittery 60 especially if the extra power is used to improve graphics. It's difficult to call out a 30fps game if its super smooth like forza. It's very easy to notice inconsistent drops from 60 for a game built around that speed. But y'all already knew that and would rather come in here and try to attack me instead of talking about the topic at hand.

You bringing up my old thread only proves my point. If the cod devs could add more graphics, A.I. Ect, at 30fps. Then the game would be better for it.

As it stands they're stuck chasing these arbitrary standards and the experience is less because of it.
You realize CoD wouldn't be half the game it was if it ran at 30 frames right.

MeachTheMonster

YourFriendlyHoodMonster
Daps
Reppin
Tha Land
You realize CoD wouldn't be half the game it was if it ran at 30 frames right.

Yes it would. Plenty of devs are able to make 30fps very smooth and responsive.

1080p 60fps is marketing point blank period. That's not to say that it isn't the right choice for some games. But the idea that its what all games "should" be is asinine.