Advice for raising sons in White area?

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Figthing borg at Wolf 359
Trying to ask the Coli for real advice (no I am not a c00n :stopitslime:)

Not sure where we will be 10 years from now but I have two young sons (under 5) and my wife got a good new job that required us to move since the commute was killing her. As far as commute and school district (I'm not trying to pay private school) we settled in an area that while not 100% White, is only 10% Black or so.

We can deal and we actually have a great and diverse set of neighbors (Whites, Asians, Indians, etc.). Both of us grew up in 90+% Black neighborhoods and would have been fine in a good Black neighborhood for our kids though logistics isn't working out.

The thing is, while I won't raise my kid as a hater, I am not sure what dynamics to expect if he grows up in this area and goes to these schools. I went to a half White school growing up though my pops was big on Black cultural pride and history so I never really tried to punk out, always loved Black women, and never had identity issues etc.

Not sure what my sons will experience and think though. Anyone else grow up in this context and have any advice? In the end, I know I can't force a kid to fit a certain mold but we were both discussing a friend of hers who raised her kids in a completely White area and now has trouble since they don't want to think of themselves as Black and have trouble relating to other Black kids.

Best case, I would like my kids to learn to navigate both worlds and seamlessly be friends with and know how to interact with those who aren't Black but also understand they are Black and not be ashamed of this, but rather proud. Also, though I am not necessarily against IR I do not want them to put non-Black women on a pedestal as the ideal of beauty and not be able to see what is wonderful is sistas. Any help appreciated.

Klyk21

Hate is Rising, Love is Dying....
Daps
Reppin
Atlanta, Ga
Don't have kids but I would suggest putting them in activities early (chess club, football, bball, baseball, soccer etc). Try to remind them that even though you all are in the same class, racism will trump classism any day. Let them know early that they are judged first by their skin and second by "appearance." Get them involved in learning chess early as early as possible....and vote in your local elections and attend PTA meeting with them when they have them

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Just make sure they're aware of their heritage, and let them take pride in it. I'll have to assume going to a white school will be the most difficult part of this journey, so try to join the PTA and get involved with other school associations.

SeveroDrgnfli

Ain't nobody tryin to get indicted.
Daps
Reppin
Always
You shouldn't. @Sagat myself and @SheWantTheD are a few examples of what the results will more than likely be. I'm not saying your kids are going to be fukk ups but they will have issues that could express themselves in different ways.

Thing is navigating both worlds is impoasible. Both worlds will never accept them because they can sense they're different. Being different isn't good man. The nail that stands out gets hit with a hammer.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
Don't have kids but I would suggest putting them in activities early (chess club, football, bball, baseball, soccer etc). Try to remind them that even though you all are in the same class, racism will trump classism any day. Let them know early that they are judged first by their skin and second by "appearance." Get them involved in learning chess early as early as possible....and vote in your local elections and attend PTA meeting with them when they have them

Great advice, I was a chess player as well. Not sure when that "conversation" will happen but they are def too young right now.

DrBanneker

Space is the Place
Daps
Reppin
You shouldn't. @Sagat myself and @SheWantTheD are a few examples of what the results will more than likely be. I'm not saying your kids are going to be fukk ups but they will have issues that could express themselves in different ways.

Thing is navigating both worlds is impoasible. Both worlds will never expect them because they can sense they're different. Being different isn't good man. The nail that stands out gets hit with a hammer.

Social or school issues or both?