Advice on Creating a YouTube Channel Dedicated On Inspiring Underrepresented/Disadvantage Youth...

Kasper KArr

Go-getter from the Lower East Side
Daps
I am a first-generation, low-income background Black medical student (MD/PhD) at a very prestigious institution. I am very passionate about outreach and mentoring, and recently I have decided to use my position to do more, help other minorities from underrepresented/disadvantaged background across the world and inspire them to pursue an education. I come from the street, been locked up as a teen, lost my family to the streets and drug game. But I was fortunate to move beyond my circumstances and make it to becoming a doctor. And I've always wanted to do this YouTube vlogging thing, but never got to it. But lately I feel like it's time and want to create a channel for this. I am thinking about doing those vlogs where I talk about shyt I been through, my comeup, the lessons I learned, and how to move to make your educational goals come true. Topics I intend on talking about are like resilience, being the first in your family to graduate from highschool and how to navigate this educational realm, how to apply for things like fellowships and scholarships, how to network, and how to use one's past regardless of where we come from as fuel to make your dreams come true.

What I am asking is if anyone has any advice on making this happen? Or how to make this work. I gave NO desire to be "famous" nor will I be selling any shyt. I have been given so many blessings and an event that recently happened made me realize that I need to do more on this earth and help others. Furthermore, I recently read this June 2017 publication on a study titled "An American Crisis: the Lack of Black Men in Medicine" and that shyt just made me sad. And I realize I can do my part to make a change.

Anyways I would wholeheartedly appreciate any advice, words of wisdom, what things I should incorporate to make this channel a success and reach those young men and women who want to transcend their circumstances. Thank you in advance.

Kasper KArr

Daps
Heres an idea, teach the youth about bitcoin and other cryptocurrency. Lots of money in that space right now.
While ashamedly I am not up on that topic, that is a good idea. I have been thinking about doing some financial freedom topics and being one's own boss and just making moves to establish oneself outside of one's main hustle...so perhaps doing that will be good. Thanks for the idea bossup. And yes I concur, it just comes down to just doing it like you said!

Kasper KArr

Daps
Your story is your selling point btw remember that. Someone from the streets becoming a Dr is a rarity. Use that wisely bro.
Thank you bro. Yeah man I realize that. At times I am in class with cats who parents discoveredd this medical device or founded this drug company that created this life saving drug and all that jazz and I am like damn son, I am just a cat from the hood who hustled and shyt to make ends meet. In other words, I agree man it is seldom you find someone like me (not gloating) and that is what compels me to do this man cause I know I can resonate with others in the hood stuck and looking for a way out that most people can't. But yea bro my intention is to use it wisely and just bring change our community needs by drawing from my experiences.

Kasper KArr

Daps
Yea just create the content and they will come. And try to use your social media to pull people to your site. If I'm not being clear just let me know and I can clarify or go into more detail.

Congrats bro and thank you for giving back to the community :salute:
You're welcome brother. This is how we fukking make moves and transcend our circumstances. When once of us makes it, we gotta ensure to send that elevator back down and bring others up with us. And more importantly, never forgetting where we come from1

On the other things you said, Elaborate my brother if you can. In other words, I intend to use my social media to draw people in but truth is I have mostly are older cats from the hood I grew up with, some of my peers, and few other people I met along the way. In other words, not my target audience. So how do I get my message to the kids and youth who need it? I know the use of hashtags and shyt but I am looking for a bigger platform. Cause I surmise aint everyone in the hood saying "shyt let me youtube to see if theres someone who looks like me and understands my struggle and see if they have a channel" I would love advice on how to get my channel to the right people and just making an impact. So far I am connecting with ppl I knew from school who are know Public school teachers and sort of seeing how they see best I can target their students but idk.

Hiphoplives4eva

Solid Gold Dashikis
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
black love, unity, and music
While ashamedly I am not up on that topic, that is a good idea. I have been thinking about doing some financial freedom topics and being one's own boss and just making moves to establish oneself outside of one's main hustle...so perhaps doing that will be good. Thanks for the idea bossup. And yes I concur, it just comes down to just doing it like you said!
I’m sorry, I didn’t read you entire thread. If your and md/ph student congrats. That’s a tough and LOnG field. Whatever you do, don’t let the channel deter you i from your studies. Your goal should be to complete your PhD as quickly as possible. You don’t want to be chasing that md/phd for 8 years. Breh.

OsO

Souldier
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
On the other things you said, Elaborate my brother if you can. In other words, I intend to use my social media to draw people in but truth is I have mostly are older cats from the hood I grew up with, some of my peers, and few other people I met along the way. In other words, not my target audience. So how do I get my message to the kids and youth who need it? I know the use of hashtags and shyt but I am looking for a bigger platform. Cause I surmise aint everyone in the hood saying "shyt let me youtube to see if theres someone who looks like me and understands my struggle and see if they have a channel" I would love advice on how to get my channel to the right people and just making an impact. So far I am connecting with ppl I knew from school who are know Public school teachers and sort of seeing how they see best I can target their students but idk.

Great question.

I would go to the platforms, websites, forums, etc. where your target audience is and flood it with your content. That's the ground up approach.

The top down approach is to strategically find people to network with. People who if you can convince them your content has value they will allow you to spread your content to and through their network. That way you can get 100 people just by converting one. An example of this would be school counselors, people who work in community centers, career centers, churches, vocational programs, etc.