African-Americans are more likely to get hired, but get paid less in tech industry

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Good conversation. It was touched on before, but I think that many African Americans look at their prior employment salaries (and their friends' prior employment salaries) as a measuring stick instead of the actual industry standard.

Years ago, I was making $11/hour so when I was promoted into a salaried position, I had a # in my head that I was willing to accept. The manager threw her # out first and it was +20% higher than my number. I was just looking to get enough money to live more comfortably. Growing up, the only milestones that seemed tangible was breaking $30K/year to get by or $50K/year for some added comfort. Everything above and beyond that feels like icing on the cake that is good to have but not really a necessity or something that is worth a managerial meeting over.

That type of attitude is what I believe keeps a large portion of African-Americans being paid. I don't blame the businesses because their job is to pay you what you think you are worth. I think that financial literacy needs to be reinforced more in the African American community and the conversation on negotiating needs to be included in it.

Two Stacks

New Orleans Shoe Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans, Louisiana
Good conversation. It was touched on before, but I think that many African Americans look at their prior employment salaries (and their friends' prior employment salaries) as a measuring stick instead of the actual industry standard.

Years ago, I was making $11/hour so when I was promoted into a salaried position, I had a # in my head that I was willing to accept. The manager threw her # out first and it was +20% higher than my number. I was just looking to get enough money to live more comfortably. Growing up, the only milestones that seemed tangible was breaking $30K/year to get by or $50K/year for some added comfort. Everything above and beyond that feels like icing on the cake that is good to have but not really a necessity or something that is worth a managerial meeting over.

That type of attitude is what I believe keeps a large portion of African-Americans being paid. I don't blame the businesses because their job is to pay you what you think you are worth. I think that financial literacy needs to be reinforced more in the African American community and the conversation on negotiating needs to be included in it.

you mind me asking what was your number and what was their offer for you coming from $23k?

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
It's a balancing act. Making six figures loses it's novelty quickly when you are in the 28%+ tax bracket with no write-offs or dependents (and non-dependents with their hands out).

For the novice negotiator: Glassdoor.com is good for company reviews. Also, it helpful to review job interview questions for as well as salary/benefits comparison which can be filtered by role and city/state. Indeed.com's salary comparison tools are helpful, as well as those from Paycheckcity and Salary.com. Location is more important when gaging salary. Working in technology in California and NYC would require more earnings for decent standard of living than Atlanta, Raleigh/Durham and Dallas/Ft Worth. Also there are more educated/skilled professionals in the former cities and more competition, something else to consider when negotiating.

Sometimes the benefits outweighs the salary. I once worked a project that paid 84K however this included covered internet, housing, and international travel 25% (great for building airline alliance points) which brought me to about 98K. Bonuses can be taken into account when negotiating salary as well. Once was presented an offer of 90K. Negotiated higher a higher base which put me at 105K with bonus.

Many of my friends/classmates make 130K-300K but they have advanced degrees from the Ivys as well as the connections and/or are in their mid 30s,40s/50s. Supposedly your salary caps by age 40 so if you haven't reached your goal by then, statistically you won't.

Macallik86

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
you mind me asking what was your number and what was their offer for you coming from $23k?
At the time I wanted 30 and they gave me 38.

My circumstances also played a part as well... I was living alone in a deceased relatives house that was in foreclosure so I was looking to move out on my own before I became homeless.

Those shytty circumstances were happening to everyone around across the country a few years back, but African-Americans were disproportionately affected which gives a bit credence to the idea that African Americans tend to come from lower socio-economical backgrounds and so are more likely to take whatever they can get.

Two Stacks

New Orleans Shoe Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
New Orleans, Louisiana
At the time I wanted 30 and they gave me 38.

My circumstances also played a part as well... I was living alone in a deceased relatives house that was in foreclosure so I was looking to move out on my own before I became homeless.

Those shytty circumstances were happening to everyone around across the country a few years back, but African-Americans were disproportionately affected which gives a bit credence to the idea that African Americans tend to come from lower socio-economical backgrounds and so are more likely to take whatever they can get.
I'm 30, and I make 30k base. bonuses this year should realistically put me at 34k, ambitious would be 40k.