AITA For Being Mad, or Should I Be Flattered?

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
I am the admitted fashion plate in the family. I’ve always been complimented on my sense of style and attention to detail.
I admit I don’t necessarily know how this makes the other girls in the family feel, but for sure my fam isn’t the type to put us against each other!

I attended an event recently and received many compliments from head to toe- hair style down to my heels. And I was the only woman present rocking a particular jewel tone, so I stood out even more. However, everyone looked great! What I wore just popped against the crowd.

That being said, my mom called me laughing (and this is some mean-girl ish I am not trying to adopt from her) because apparently a relative attended an event this weekend and her mom sent pictures to the other elders about her great her daughter looked…

She copied my look from the hair (slightly different, but same effect), dress color, accessories and GotDAMN shoe color and design! Like, wtf?

My mom and I have our issues, which I’ve noted here before, but she definitely takes pride in my looks and style. :mjlol: So she said the minute she saw the picture she had to call me because it was so obvious.

For a little backstory, this is the daughter of the relative who told my mother to tell me that my looks wouldn’t last forever :skip:. So that makes it a little funnier.

This topic is for ladies and gents because it happens to us all:

How do y’all handle people copying your style? I don’t want to have to purposely stunt at events to
1- ensure I’m not being copied or
2- see if my look gets copied again.

I guess what I’m saying is… B__h stole my look and I feel a way!
I curate my ensembles to evoke a particular response and Ionno how I feel about someone copying me. Feels like theft. :picard:

But I also know how trivial this may sound beyond the undergrad years (because there were definitely arguments about stuff like this back then :wow:)

Copied me down to the shoe style and heel length. :what:

And no, Coli, no pictures will be included.

The Half-Blood FKA Prince

Shroom gummies, liquor and destiny
Daps
Anything that holds real or perceived value will be copied. Can't stop it, won't stop it. Take the compliment and just be sure it's public knowledge you did it first, because that is where the beef starts......whose the originator
This right here sis. Just take it in ur stride and take pride in being the family trend setter.

As for the woman's mom talking shyt just remember haters gone hate but actions speak louder than words. Do ur part by being completely unbothered.

Like the poster above said they can copy what ur current style but can not anticipate the next. Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery. Take it for a compliment. U wouldnt be wrong to say something but at the same time the narrative would just be attempted to be twisted into pettiness. Dont take the bait. Ur glowing reputation speaks for itself.

Gloxina

Superstar
Daps
Just be satisfied with the highest form of flattery ma.

This is literally a "keep doing what you're doing" moment, so sad to say, yeah you're kinda the a-hole in this one, but not a huge one.

Just be happy that you've got a literal fanbase.
😆my mom said to take it as flattery.

Not trying to be the a-hole. This just hasn’t happened in a minute. Lol

Born Rich

triple entendre, don't ask me how...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
W$GT$
be insulted that you inspire other women, brehettes :lolbron:

Last edited:

LauderdaleBoss

#TunnelGang #RingGangRadio
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Lauderdale
it's flattery until someone that looks better than you does it, which is rare because most fine broads got their own style.

personally I don't like the shyt unless they pay homage (tell you that you inspired them)

shyt used to happen to my ex and she'd take it to heart.

Daps
I am the admitted fashion plate in the family. I’ve always been complimented on my sense of style and attention to detail.
I admit I don’t necessarily know how this makes the other girls in the family feel, but for sure my fam isn’t the type to put us against each other!

I attended an event recently and received many compliments from head to toe- hair style down to my heels. And I was the only woman present rocking a particular jewel tone, so I stood out even more. However, everyone looked great! What I wore just popped against the crowd.

That being said, my mom called me laughing (and this is some mean-girl ish I am not trying to adopt from her) because apparently a relative attended an event this weekend and her mom sent pictures to the other elders about her great her daughter looked…

She copied my look from the hair (slightly different, but same effect), dress color, accessories and GotDAMN shoe color and design! Like, wtf?

My mom and I have our issues, which I’ve noted here before, but she definitely takes pride in my looks and style. :mjlol: So she said the minute she saw the picture she had to call me because it was so obvious.

For a little backstory, this is the daughter of the relative who told my mother to tell me that my looks wouldn’t last forever :skip:. So that makes it a little funnier.

This topic is for ladies and gents because it happens to us all:

How do y’all handle people copying your style?

I have set so many styles in my group of folks over the years that it's ridiculous. I don't mind you borrowing my style but hating on me like :hhh: while knowing deep down that you're internally like :ehh: :whew: is something ill never explain.

I have no problem telling another man that I like something they're wearing. One time this dude tried to clown me for telling him I liked his shirt. Had me like :dahell:

So I have learned to keep my compliments to myself more often than not.

But the funny thing is that I recently originated a new style and I'm waiting to see who's going to be the first person to copy it. I think the only reason they haven't done it yet is cause they don't know where I got the shirt (ordered it online) and unless you know exactly what to search for, you'll never find it.

It took me several months to find this particular style cause I knew exactly what I wanted.