Americans have weak hearts, AA at bottom of list

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps

DALLAS — A staggering 80 percent of the U.S. population has either low or moderate cardiovascular health — meaning just one in five people have a heart that’s in excellent shape, according to a new study.

Using the American Heart Association’s new Life’s Essential 8 checklist, researchers discovered that just 19.6 percent of the country has a cardiovascular health score which the checklist considers “high.”

Meanwhile, the study of more than 23,400 U.S. adults and children found 62.5 percent only have “moderate” cardiovascular health and 17.9 percent have “low” cardiovascular health.

How does the checklist measure heart health?​

The Life’s Essential 8 looks at eight essential components that combine to give someone idealheart and brain health. The measures include diet, physical activity, nicotine exposure, sleep duration, body mass index, blood lipids, blood glucose, and blood pressure. The new scale is an upgrade from the American Heart Association’s Life’s Simple 7, which did not measure sleep health.

Using a scale of 0 to 100, a score of 100 means someone has the highest or healthiest cardiovascular health score. Scores under 50 fall into the “low” cardiovascular health range, while scores between 50 and 79 indicate “moderate” heart health. Anything over 80 indicates “high” cardiovascular health. According to the new study, less than 20 percent of America reached this healthy standard.

“These data represent the first look at the cardiovascular health of the U.S. population using the AHA’s new Life’s Essential 8 scoring algorithm,” says lead study author Dr. Donald M. Lloyd-Jones, president of the American Heart Association, in a media release. “Overall, the cardiovascular health of the U.S. population is suboptimal, and we see important differences across age and sociodemographic groups. Analyses like this can help policy makers, communities, clinicians and the public to understand the opportunities to intervene to improve and maintain optimal cardiovascular health across the life course.”

The findings come from health information from U.S. National Health and Nutrition Examination surveys completed between 2013 and 2018. The survey included roughly 9,900 children under the age of 19.

Americans are stuck in the 60s​

Overall, the average American adult only scored 64.7 on the Life’s Essential 8 checklist. Children scored 65.5 out of 100. For kids, the checklist adjusted the scores to fit the age-related differences in diet, physical activity, and BMI.

Women scored slightly higher (67) than adult men (62.5), with both groups posting their lowest scores in diet, physical activity, and BMI categories. In general, the scores also dipped lower as adults got older.

When looking at the differences between the country’s racial and ethnic groups, the study finds Asian Americans have the best average cardiovascular health scores. Non-Hispanic White individuals had the second-highest health scores, with Hispanics (not including Mexicans), Mexicans, and Non-Hispanic Black individualsfollowing in that order.

Concerningly, children’s diet scores had an average of just 40.6 and a miniscule 0.45 percent of the entire study group achieved a perfect score of 100.

The findings are published in Circulation, the American Heart Association’s flagship, peer-reviewed journal.

We go through a unique stress living in this country, but we have to improve the factors that we control, mainly diet and exercise.

You don’t need a gym to go for a walk or run. Instead of buying boxed and fast foods eat a simple home cooked meal on the regular. Limit alcohol and smoking. Focus on mental health and face the issues you’re running from.

Folks know what to do, but why don’t they do it?

PortCityProphet

Follow me to the truth
Daps
Reppin
Bama ass DC

We go through a unique stress living in this country, but we have to improve the factors that we control, mainly diet and exercise.

You don’t need a gym to go for a walk or run. Instead of buying boxed and fast foods eat a simple home cooked meal on the regular. Limit alcohol and smoking. Focus on mental health and face the issues you’re running from.

Folks know what to do, but why don’t they do it?

I dont think most people know or care.
Ask a lot of older folks 50+ they don't know how to cook in a healthier manner. Ask a lot of folk 50 and under and they dont care.
Recently had a conversation with an elder cousin (70 something) she complimented my sister's and I generation on how we eat healthier than hers and we were like ya'll didn't know about healthy eating you really didn't have options. You ate whatever you bought and used whatever you could to make it taste good. Weren't restaurant options back then so it was straight home cooked meals in grease and fat with salt. Food education was completely different back then.
Now the younger people know or should know about the benefits of diet,exercise, and smoking but they don't care. We're lazy and sedentary and for the most part happy to be that way. Who cares if you're fat everybody else is fat too so it's normal. Working out is hard, eating right takes time and effort and that's something young folks want no parts of.

You can only save those who want to save themselves.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
I dont think most people know or care.
Ask a lot of older folks 50+ they don't know how to cook in a healthier manner. Ask a lot of folk 50 and under and they dont care.
Recently had a conversation with an elder cousin (70 something) she complimented my sister's and I generation on how we eat healthier than hers and we were like ya'll didn't know about healthy eating you really didn't have options. You ate whatever you bought and used whatever you could to make it taste good. Weren't restaurant options back then so it was straight home cooked meals in grease and fat with salt. Food education was completely different back then.
Now the younger people know or should know about the benefits of diet,exercise, and smoking but they don't care. We're lazy and sedentary and for the most part happy to be that way. Who cares if you're fat everybody else is fat too so it's normal. Working out is hard, eating right takes time and effort and that's something young folks want no parts of.

You can only save those who want to save themselves.
How can they not know, I’m sure they’ve been to the doctor and received information on how to improve their heart health. They can’t say they don’t know where to get info because people are quick to get news from the internet. We live in the age of information (and disinformation). Maybe you’re right that they don’t care.

This shyt sucks because ppl I love and care for could check out for things they have a measure of control over.

Swirv

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Uncle sam loves it. He ain't wanna pay your ass social security when you older. He rather you die preferably with no will so they can take what you have left or make your family suffer in probate court
I beg to differ breh. Billions upon billions are spent on healthcare for obesity related ailments. If folks took care of themselves, that money could be spent elsewhere.

Black Mamba

Superstar
Daps
Mines great and I eat everything I want.
I just put work in to offset
Health is wealth stop being lazy ass fat people mostly too

Pure Water

Superstar
Daps
Didn't someone link a video on how American heart health started getting worse after I think it was corn syrups got introduced into our diets?
It in small doses isn’t bad. The problem is it’s in everything. When I grocery shop I have to make conscious efforts to avoid it. Hell nowadays I avoid sugar as much as possible. Sodium is another thing that’s not bad for you when ingesting the recommended amount, but everything has too much sodium in it. Basically it’s all the process foods.