Amy Coney Barrett CONFIRMED to the U.S. Supreme Court

Who will it be?

• Amy Coney Barrett: A 7th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge since 2017, a Trump appointee.

Votes: 33 82.5%
  • Barbara Lagoa: An 11th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals judge since December 2019, a Trump appointee.

Votes: 2 5.0%
  • Allison Jones Rushing: A Fourth Circuit U. S. Court of Appeals judge since 2018, a Trump appointee.

Votes: 1 2.5%
  • Someone else

Votes: 4 10.0%

• Total voters

CBSkyline

Chill
Daps
The fact that so many thought Romney would "do the right thing" is just more proof of how resistance twitter and a large portion of the MSNBC pundits, have rotted a good portion of Democrats brains, to the point some still truly believe there are republicans who are honest actors.

Romney is the same guy who bragged in front of an old white crowd while running against Obama that "No one asked to see my birth certificate. You all know I was born right here :mjpls:" The guy, like all republican politicians and operatives, has no sense of decency. He's just like Flake and only pretended to possess it when it doesn't matter, or won't mess with the outcome. The truth is, he like the rest of the so called "Never Trumpers" love every single policy decision Trump makes. What they hate is that his racism doesn't come with a side of plausible deniability, and he doesn't give them an out.

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
thomas is not retiring at all, definitely not under a democratic president.

Speculation swirls about next Supreme Court vacancy

Since Trump won the 2016 election, rumors of Thomas’s departure have swirled, particularly after the retirement of former Justice Anthony Kennedy in June 2018 cleared the way for Trump’s second Supreme Court nominee.

Thomas, 71, has repeatedly denied the claims. "I'm not retiring," he said adamantly last spring while speaking at Pepperdine University.

According to more than a half dozen Washington lawyers, friends and former Thomas clerks interviewed by The Hill, the justice has no plans to leave the bench.

"He will die on the court," said Thomas’s close friend Armstrong Williams.

The latest chatter comes as Thomas enjoys a moment in the spotlight: a documentary about his life just aired on PBS, the normally reticent justice drew plaudits for his sharp questions during telephonic oral arguments and former Thomas clerks have been ascendant in the Trump era.

“He's just warming up," Williams said. "He still feels young, and there's a lot of work to do.”

Helgi C. Walker, a partner at Gibson Dunn and a former Thomas clerk, said her onetime boss continues to wield his principled views to “drive the debate about key issues.”

“I have no reason to think the justice is going anywhere,” she said.

so this is in some ways good news because it means there is no guarantee he will retire under a republican president like kennedy did. we have the possibility of getting lucky and having thomas die with a democratic president.

i also didn't realize alito was already 70, although i think its more likely he will wait to retire under a republican president. maybe we get lucky and he heads out early unexpectedly

I’m trying to be nice and not wish death on anyone but ... that’s what I was hoping for.

Sandra Day O'Connor left for her husbands health

I wouldn’t pull that packing court maneuver until they start going after the liberal agenda you are passing.

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
I’m trying to be nice and not wish death on anyone but ... that’s what I was hoping for.

Sandra Day O'Connor left for her husbands health

I wouldn’t pull that packing court maneuver until they start going after the liberal agenda you are passing.
i think the argument for this is much stronger if dems move on it immediately.

if they do it with the memory of McConnells stunt fresh in peoples minds its very easy to argue its being done out of principle and to prevent Republicans from cynically stealing SCOTUS.

whereas if they wait until after SCOTUS strikes down Democratic legislation it will appear self-serving

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
i think the argument for this is much stronger if dems move on it immediately.

if they do it with the memory of McConnells stunt fresh in peoples minds its very easy to argue its being done out of principle and to prevent Republicans from cynically stealing SCOTUS.

whereas if they wait until after SCOTUS strikes down Democratic legislation it will appear self-serving
If the problem is that they stole two seats then he would need to make it clear to people that’s the reason for the move and not because of the fact they are Conservatives.

My problem is that last how do you stop Republicans from just adding seats and back and forth so on and again.

My hope is that if they wait until they start legislating from the bench on popular issues it would at least justify to people why the move happened.

19-

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Goon Squad - Catset
If the problem is that they stole two seats then he would need to make it clear to people that’s the reason for the move and not because of the fact they are Conservatives.

My problem is that last how do you stop Republicans from just adding seats and back and forth so on and again.

My hope is that if they wait until they start legislating from the bench on popular issues it would at least justify to people why the move happened.
i would frame the argument that way publicly, rather than as attacks or criticisms of the justices themselves. make the argument completely about principle and how republicans behaved hypocritically between 2016 and now 2020

as far as tit-for-tat adding seats, well at that point the cats out of the bag and the ball will be in republicans court once they control the white house and senate. thats a problem i do have with this solution, but i think allowing them to create a 6-3 court with no repercussions would be a worse outcome. its pick your poison at this point

Json

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Central VA
i would frame the argument that way publicly, rather than as attacks or criticisms of the justices themselves. make the argument completely about principle and how republicans behaved hypocritically between 2016 and now 2020

as far as tit-for-tat adding seats, well at that point the cats out of the bag and the ball will be in republicans court once they control the white house and senate. thats a problem i do have with this solution, but i think allowing them to create a 6-3 court with no repercussions would be a worse outcome. its pick your poison at this point

We are in a death spiral. That’s why I hope putting DC and Puerto Rico in play will lock Republicans out of the legislative branch for the next decade.

This will bait them into judicial overreach then I’d pull the lever on packing the court.

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
The most dirtbag Trump supporters don't even like his picks. They were hoping to get 2 Clarence Thomases but both Gorsuch and Kavanaugh have voted with the liberals of the court pretty often. If I'm not mistaken, both voted to grant legal protection to transgenders which they were mad about.

Kavanaugh sided with the liberals against Apple

Gorsuch has been siding with defendants in criminal cases

Cave Savage

Feminist
Daps
Reppin
Women's rights
Reagan: O'Connor, Rehnquist to chief, Scalia, Kennedy
HW Bush: Souter, Thomas
W Bush: Alito, Roberts
Trump: Gorsuch, Kavanaugh

Which one did it worst? :patrice:

Souter was a fail for HW. He drifted left. More than made up for it with Thomas though :scust:

Souter was god awful for conservatives :heh:

He became a liberal within 5 years and retired at 70 so Obama could pick his replacement.

Reagan probably was the worst of these for them, since he picked 2 swing votes and only 1 hard liner.

Side note: These SC cases can be very interesting

United States v. Lopez - Wikipedia

NkrumahWasRight Is Wrong

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Uncertain grounds
Souter was god awful for conservatives :heh:

He became a liberal within 5 years and retired at 70 so Obama could pick his replacement.

Reagan probably was the worst of these for them, since he picked 2 swing votes and only 1 hard liner.

Side note: These SC cases can be very interesting

United States v. Lopez - Wikipedia

I actually meant who nominated the worst judges all around not that they failed for their own agendas. Sorry because that wasnt made all that clear by my post. It kept getting deleted as I switched tabs on mobile then I got frustrated and just listed them

And yes i enjoy reading SC decisions. I really should make more time to read them. State of MA wanted to get my dad on the bench after being a state prosecutor but he moved back here and went criminal defense