An Oral History of the 2003-2004 Los Angeles Lakers, the First Super Team

Regular_P

Just end the season.
Daps

:banderas: :francis: Chauncey was great, but even during the Lakers 3-peat, every PG laced up the Lakers. Lakers have always been terrible for some reason against PG's come playoff time, even during the Showtime years too.

You mean when guys like Troy Hudson were lighting them up in the playoffs? :snoop:

BrothaZay

Non-FBA. AdosK
Bushed
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The suburbs

:banderas: :francis: Chauncey was great, but even during the Lakers 3-peat, every PG laced up the Lakers. Lakers have always been terrible for some reason against PG's come playoff time, even during the Showtime years too.

#8 Kobe one of the most underrated man to man defenders alltime imo. Man to Man defense is underappreciated in general imo

O.T.I.S.

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
The Truth
Chauncey said it in the other thread...

They knew if Kobe was guarding you they were desperate... Lakers PG's have always been trash on defense for some reason during that period

All that did was wear Kobe down on offense despite Kobes excellent defense

PTBG

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Cali
You mean when guys like Troy Hudson were lighting them up in the playoffs? :snoop:
Troy Hudson, Speedy Claxton, JJ Barea, etc. every PG's, even backup PG's always went off against the Lakers. :wtf: Troy Hudson became modern day Damian Lilliard going against the Lakers, Lakers for sure lose that series in 04 if Hudson & all the Wolves PG's weren't injured. :mjlol: They had KG playing PG and bringing the ball up near the end of the series.

C-Styles

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
The Windy City
would it be safe to say if they didn't add Malone or Payton and still kept that team the way it was, that they'd have a better chance of winning against the pistons? i just felt there was too many EGOS in one team, why mess with the chemistry that got you 3 in a row in the first place??

Sonny Corinthos

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Port Charles, NY
Troy Hudson, Speedy Claxton, JJ Barea, etc. every PG's, even backup PG's always went off against the Lakers. :wtf: Troy Hudson became modern day Damian Lilliard going against the Lakers, Lakers for sure lose that series in 04 if Hudson & all the Wolves PG's weren't injured. :mjlol: They had KG playing PG and bringing the ball up near the end of the series.

Bibby got damn near maxed out after that 02 series against the Lakers

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
That was one heck of a starting lineup :ehh:.... to get swept in 5 games in the finals :heh:

WOAHMYGOODNESS

Your TSC World Champion
Daps
I think we would've beaten the Pistons in 6 with a healthy Karl Malone.

We were an average team at best without him and a dominant one with him.

With Malone were 33 - 9 (.785)
Without Malone 23 - 17 (.575)
No yall werent

WOAHMYGOODNESS

Your TSC World Champion
Daps
Is it just me or does Chauncey Billups always get annoying af when talking about this series? Not that im a bitter laker fan but dude just swear up and down that pistons were some kind of dynasty and they werent worried about the lakers at all :comeon:
7 straight conference finals apperancwa, two finals apperances, a title with "no superstar" to speak of as rhe coli loves to hang they hat on. All time great defense, ;naaters of the screen and roll, and hall of fame coaching with larry brown

Numpsay

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
PAT 2 HTown
If Malone doesn't get injured we win that series and likely win again the next year.

And its funny folks act like Shaq didn't eat that series on account of Kobe. Dude went for about 35-20 in 2 or 3 of those games and I'm almost sure both those games were losses. Unless y'all think Kobe stopped Shaq from going for 50-30 that argument is asinine.

No_bammer_weed

✌️ Coli. Wish y’all the best of luck. One
Daps
but even during the Lakers 3-peat, every PG laced up the Lakers. Lakers have always been terrible for some reason against PG's come playoff time, even during the Showtime years too.

I dont know about before 1996, but that "some reason" since has been...

fisher.jpg

I mean duke ran the triangle well, and was a nice floor general/leader with all the "intangibles" and whatnot, and Bean stayed in love with him for whatever reason, but man was he ever a liability come playoff time against even average PG's....let alone elite. Troy Hudson looked like the second coming of Oscar Robertson against fish, and then was never heard from again...

Sccit

LA'S MOST BLUNTED
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
LOS818ANGELES
Because of all the speculation, Shaq demanded the trade and he got it. Phil was told on Father’s Day that he wouldn’t be coming back. It was just a disappointment not to come away with a championship and know that there wasn’t going to be a chance for redemption and get it right the next time because the band was breaking up.

we can finally end the narrative that Kobe forced Shaq out

WE BEEN KNOWN ABOUT IT .. SEARCH MY CLASSIC THREAD ON KOBE VS SHAQ