Another Banger from WALT: White America Must Heal Itself

mastermind

Rest In Power Kobe
Daps
Another great article from @Walt. Read up brehs

White America Must Heal Itself: 2016 Is 1965 and 1984

Here are some excerpts:
White America Must Heal Itself: 2016 Is 1965 and 1984

Last weekend, during a writing retreat, I ended up in Mount Vernon, Iowa. Iowa entered the Union as a free state and was a hub for the Underground Railroad, but I wasn’t surprised to see a handful of Confederate flags flying from homes as I drove through towns called Solon and North Liberty. Ours has never been a populace with an honest understanding of its own history.

Mount Vernon itself was quaint and comforting, a small town that seemed like a propaganda piece about an America I’ve never known to exist except in the abstract imaginings of politicians who cynically hark back to “the good old days.” Main Street housed a local health food co-op, an independent coffee shop that sold art and trinkets, a Neapolitan-style pizza shop with a wood-fired oven, and several antique shops.

At one antique shop called Polly Ann’s, I found a bunch of artifacts of our more overtly racist past: a glass with a Sambo caricature playing the banjo; a series of framed Cream of Wheat ads featuring happy “darkies” speaking broken English; mammy-themed salt-and-pepper shakers; cartoons starring big-lipped spear-chuckers. I also found this Aug. 27, 1965, issue of Life magazine, which was a bargain at $7—$10 to $20 cheaper than any of the racist memorabilia. Then again, racism has always been more profitable in America than any genuine commitment of black American life to the historical record.

Before the age of social media and camera phones, blacks rationalized the lack of white empathy and understanding as a product of segregation, propaganda and ignorance. At this point, we have to accept that this proudly professed blindness in the face of research, eyewitness reports, governmental investigations and the increasingly frequent appearance of black snuff films is not blindness at all, but a hatred so stubborn as to appear incurable.

We thought, given the concept of human decency, that video evidence and protests would curb police violence. So far, in 2016, police killings have increased. In our attempts to appeal to the collective American conscience, it seems we have overestimated its existence. A significant portion of white Americans see what they want to see, believe what they want to believe. They live is a fact-free world, and Donald Trump doesn’t play fast and loose with the truth to fool them, but because he has correctly identified it as their native language.

“If you’re black and you haven’t been successful in the last 50 years, it’s your own fault. You’ve had every opportunity; it was given to you,” Miller said.

The War Report

NewNewYork
Daps
Reppin
The Empire State
4 comments in and already you have a white dude coming up with every excuse in the book. White people can't help themselves. Their privilege is so ingrained.

Jimi Swagger

I say whatever I think should be said
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Turtle Island to DXB
4 comments in and already you have a white dude coming up with every excuse in the book. White people can't help themselves. Their privilege is so ingrained.
I know right, I found this comment interesting:

Jim Kocsis ·
Georgia State University
White people aren't talk because they are standing on anyone. Most white people are indifferent to the issues of black Americans, as they should be, because in a free society, the individual or at least their family, should be the focus of achievement efforts. The fact that black American families have been destroyed by the "help" provided them by Democrats is at the root of the problem, as is the denial by black Americans, like this incompetent author, to own their own problems. How is it that other groups have entered this country, dirt poor and subject to discrimination, (Vietnamese boat people were a great example) and they avoided the cultural dysfunction and multigenerational poverty of black America? Even African immigrants who come here today, often from horrendous circumstances, achieve success at much higher rates than existing African Americans, because they don't accept the "victim hood" trash sold by vile people like this author.

EDIT: and this one :lolbron:

Jay El ·
Film Producer at Miramax
Frankly, white America can suck my dikk from the back. Sorry not sorry

Last edited: