Any power lifters in here that compete?

Mofongo

Pro
Daps
Im looking for advice or even you sharing your experience(s)in any of your competitions.

The gym I'm on is having a bench comp next month. I'll probably show up to watch how things are, other than that, my bench isn't impressive.

GuChiMeng

East (Asian) Atlanta Santa
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
I've done an meet once with my province's IPF affiliate. What do you need to know?

Mofongo

Pro
Daps
I've done an meet once with my province's IPF affiliate. What do you need to know?

Just general shyt. How do you train when competing?
I've been lifting for a year now doing 12-15 reps and haven't lifted heavy.

Daps
Reppin
The Last of the Outlaws
Training for my first as a lifter as we speak so I can offer what I'm currently going thru if it helps.

People are shockingly supportive at the ones I've been to.

Focus on lifts you KNOW you can make

Try to time your PR's for the platform and not the gym.

Do you know your current 1rep maxes? Not the "I almost died doing it" but the actual one.

GuChiMeng

East (Asian) Atlanta Santa
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Just general shyt. How do you train when competing?
I've been lifting for a year now doing 12-15 reps and haven't lifted heavy.

A pretty classic approach to meet prep is increasing intensity the closer you are to the meet.

You should start off with fairly high volume with moderate weight at first and as you get closer to the meet, lowering the number of sets, increase the weight and lower the amount of reps. Like, 2-3 sets for 1-3 reps working with 90%+ of your 1RM 2 weeks out. Of course, your main focus should be in the big 3 lifts. You should be squatting and benching at least 2x/week. 12-15 reps is an OK range for accessory lifts. For the big 3 you should be starting prep off with 6-8ish reps and working your way down to 1-3 reps with heavy weight. There are so many good programs on the internet. Candito 6 week program is awesome if you're around an intermediate level lifter.

On the last week, you should maybe have 1 session with light weight just to keep your CNS tuned and not lift again till the day of the meet. Monday-Tuesday is a good time to fit this session in. Stretch and foam roll every god damn day when you're 5 days out from the meet if you're not already doing so.

Best advice I can give to you for the meet, esp your first, is try your best to go 9/9 on your lifts. If you miss an attempt it can fuk you up. Your first attempt should be something you KNOW you can nail for a set of 3. Your second attempt I'd go by feel and your third should be a PR if you hit the second attempt.

I feel a lot of people take meets way too seriously and make a big deal out of it like there's some ridiculous strict regimen you have to follow, but honestly just diving into it and experiencing it is enough. It's really not that serious and quite a bit of fun, especially on the local level. When you do state/national level meets is when it gets more serious and judging gets more strict.

Why don't you try participating in the meet?