Any producers has experience with selling beats online

Dawunonli

Rookie
Daps
Wanted some tips on how do you price or what the range of it for leases for mp3, wavs, track outs, exclusives

How to develop a custom contract for leases and exclusives

And on average how long does a beat lease should last?

producingfire

Music Producer
Daps
Reppin
Miami
As far as how long a lease lasts,
it depends on how you set up your licences. Many producers don't go by length of time but more so- the number of units sold. The number of videos that can be made using the tract ect.

As for how to develop a custom contract there are templates you can find online (Google) and edit them out via Microsoft word, and then you can turn them into pdfs and forward them a long with each sell of an exclusive. As far as pricing goes, that also depends on the producer.

I've seen an mp3 as low as .99 cents and as high as $100 I've seen wav files go for 50+ and i've seen trackouts go for 100+

I know this is a pretty general answer, so any specific questions you have let me know.

Dawunonli

Rookie
Daps
As far as how long a lease lasts,
it depends on how you set up your licences. Many producers don't go by length of time but more so- the number of units sold. The number of videos that can be made using the tract ect.

As for how to develop a custom contract there are templates you can find online (Google) and edit them out via Microsoft word, and then you can turn them into pdfs and forward them a long with each sell of an exclusive. As far as pricing goes, that also depends on the producer.

I've seen an mp3 as low as .99 cents and as high as $100 I've seen wav files go for 50+ and i've seen trackouts go for 100+

I know this is a pretty general answer, so any specific questions you have let me know.

When you say units, you mean how many beats sold or the sales of the song that they leased for?

When it comes to the wavs and mp3, I'm tryna figure out what the average rate or range is typical for a mp3 and wav.

Also in terms of the lease I typically thought it's 6 months to a year it's allowed to use then it's negotiable afterward if the song goes well

producingfire

Music Producer
Daps
Reppin
Miami
When you say units, you mean how many beats sold or the sales of the song that they leased for?

When it comes to the wavs and mp3, I'm tryna figure out what the average rate or range is typical for a mp3 and wav.

Also in terms of the lease I typically thought it's 6 months to a year it's allowed to use then it's negotiable afterward if the song goes well

When I say units I'm infering to the amount of times they sell the record- With your beat- Also the total number of streams through platforms such as spotify- Youtube, Tidal (etc)

The mp3 range is typically what I gave you in the last post, I've seen more often then not people price them at $30.00. However I seen some price them lower and higher with various different option. Typically you have a basic mp3 licence, a wav license, a trackout license and an unlimited license that allows for unlimited units to be sold and trackouts to be used. Then you will have an exclusive license which is a buyout of the track. that leaves 4-5 good options. Utilizing all of them is the key to accommodating various types of clients. I' know some artists that least beats on a time method, but I don't see much of that. Mainly because unless you get enough money upfront, not leasing it out to as many people as possible caps the income stream on a track. If you do that make sure the premium is worth it. After all Beats aren't cars, they can be mass produced and as many people that are willing to pay for them can have access to them, Music libraries, music supervisors, artists, etc. The list is huge.

Dawunonli

Rookie
Daps
When I say units I'm infering to the amount of times they sell the record- With your beat- Also the total number of streams through platforms such as spotify- Youtube, Tidal (etc)

The mp3 range is typically what I gave you in the last post, I've seen more often then not people price them at $30.00. However I seen some price them lower and higher with various different option. Typically you have a basic mp3 licence, a wav license, a trackout license and an unlimited license that allows for unlimited units to be sold and trackouts to be used. Then you will have an exclusive license which is a buyout of the track. that leaves 4-5 good options. Utilizing all of them is the key to accommodating various types of clients. I' know some artists that least beats on a time method, but I don't see much of that. Mainly because unless you get enough money upfront, not leasing it out to as many people as possible caps the income stream on a track. If you do that make sure the premium is worth it. After all Beats aren't cars, they can be mass produced and as many people that are willing to pay for them can have access to them, Music libraries, music supervisors, artists, etc. The list is huge.

I appreciate it bro thank you

DJ Paul's Arm

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Cali
How do leases work?

I read that artists can only use it for a certain amount of time but how do you know they'll follow that?

I mean they send the cash, you send the beat, contract states that you can use it for X amount of time, how can you trust a strangers honesty?

producingfire

Music Producer
Daps
Reppin
Miami
How do leases work?

I read that artists can only use it for a certain amount of time but how do you know they'll follow that?

I mean they send the cash, you send the beat, contract states that you can use it for X amount of time, how can you trust a strangers honesty?

There are ways to track it, however the only way you really are going to bother tracking something like that is if the song is generating money. If the song is generating any real money you will know it. IE (The song ends up on the billboard charts, Radio, TV (background music at a local resort, restaurants etc.

Make sure you sign up for a Performance rights organization (BMI or ASCAP that can help you track the song, so if you do make some money you will know because your PRO will be paying you out. The thing about a song is that it's a digital product now a days more than ever so once you release it it's time isn't really a usable factor unless its a company, like an ESPN they actually lease tracks out for a certain amount of time to use in their shows (from time to time.) they will say hey we want rights to use this for 1 season which will be defined by the contract, and if they use it after that, they have to come back to you, they are a million dollar company they don't want problems. If its a single person then again the money is trackable if they break an obligation like that you can put out a cease and desist and take them the court if the money is really that significant. As for how you track the number of units every quarter typically 4 months you can hire a lawyer to audit the songs usage, but that costs money and again, it may not be worth it. Rule of thumb is if it makes significant money you will know if something is a hit it usually finds its way to us rather we want the music to or not.

If your agreement is amount of tie of use with an individual and they still use it the way you generally track it is by seeing what it is used for and when it's used again by getting a lawyer and auditing. It's generally easier with individuals to contract them based on unit sells that way if you see it reaches certain milestones- hits billboard, Grammy status, album sell numbers you can again track it.