Anyone notice the absence of black monuments...** Update** The Black Monument Project

invalid

Banned
Daps
celebrating anti-slavery heroes, slave resistance, or black liberation in the US? In light of Charlottesville and the national debate over Confederate monuments and preserving the legacy of southern slavers that committed treason against the U.S., what's missing from the national debate is why their is an absence of black monuments commemorating our liberation. I didn't really notice this as well or even consider it a "thing." But I was on Twitter and came across this fascinating thread....

You can definitely see how unconsciously deep white suppression hits in the U.S., considering the vast amount of monuments commemorating slaves in ...

St. Croix:

Virgin Islands:

Surinam:

Guyana:

Brazil:

Haiti:

Curacao:

Mexico:

Dominican Republic: :mjpls:

Puerto Rico:

Cuba:

St. Martin:

Which "supposedly" was to be the real representation of the original Statue of Liberty

Jamaica:

This shyt just goes on and on..... Definitely check out this thread.

Had me
tenor.gif

Does anyone know of any monuments in the states that commemorate black slaves? There was mention of one in a Dallas cemetery in this thread. Any others?

We need to campaign to set up black monuments commemorating every instance of rebellion, resistance and insurrections in the spot of every Confederate memorial. And we need to spearhead this on our own.

******Update*******

The Black Monument Project - an initiative to erect black monuments in all 50 states.

Last edited:

invalid

Banned
Daps
Most of those monuments show black ppl in bondage. Not sure that's a good image to reinforce to future generations.:patrice:

Monuments of civil rights leaders and the like would be dope tho.

Actually, all of the monuments show blacks taking liberation in their own hands hence the breaking away of chains in most of the depictions. Either that or those that initiated rebellion.

The point is, it doesn't matter what we memorialize, as long as it replaces current symbols of white domination.