Apple 9/9/15 Event Thread (iPhone 6S, 6S Plus, AppleTv, iPad Pro...)

Scientific Playa

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Championships
i just saw this....

Apple loses key music streaming executive
Matthew Garrahan in New York

0c06d8af-e451-4eb8-bbd1-a25be17dbfa1.img

The architect of Apple’s online radio strategy has resigned two months after the launch of its Beats1 radio service, said people familiar with the matter.

Ian Rogers was part of the executive team that joined Apple last year when the company acquired Beats, the audio group started by Dr Dre and Jimmy Iovine, for $3bn.

Since the completion of the deal Mr Rogers has led the development of Apple’s Beats1, hiring Zane Lowe, the former BBC radio DJ, as a presenter and crafting an eclectic mix of shows streamed from London, New York and Los Angeles that have been well received by critics and listeners.

News of his departure caught colleagues off guard. He is leaving the west coast to work for a Europe-based company in an unrelated industry, people familiar with the situation said.

Apple confirmed that Mr Rogers was leaving the company but declined to comment further.

The departure of one of Apple’s most senior music executives will also surprise the music industry, which has pinned its hopes on the success of the company’s music streaming strategy.

Streaming is becoming the dominant form of digital music consumption and is growing rapidly as download sales decline.

In the US, total sales of album downloads fell 9 per cent in 2014 while sales of individual tracks declined 12 per cent, according to Nielsen Music data. However, demand for streaming increased more than 50 per cent, with 164bn songs streamed.

Beats1 is an integral part of Apple’s strategy, with the free global radio service acting as a gateway to paid the company’s music streaming subscriptions. At a splashy launch in late June that featured appearances from stars including Drake and The Weeknd, Tim Cook, Apple’s chief executive, said the new streaming service represented the “next chapter” of music.

Apple said this month that 11m people had signed up for free trials of Apple Music in the first four weeks since its launch. More than three-quarters of those people have continued to use the service every week.

This compares with 75m active users of Spotify, the Swedish music streaming group, which operates an advertising-supported and paid-for service. Pandora, the online radio group, has close to 80m active users.

The true popularity of Apple Music will only become clear in late September, when the first adopters of its 90-day trial offering must decide whether to pay $10 a month to keep using the service.

While Beats1 has been lauded for its diverse playlist and energetic hosts, the Apple Music app has been criticised by some for its complex design and difficulty in managing existing iTunes libraries. In July, prominent Apple blogger Jim Dalrymple called Apple Music a “Nightmare” because it lost music he had previously purchased.

Apple attempted to fix some problems relating to iCloud Music Library’s ability to sync and manage offline tracks with a mid-August software update.

A music industry veteran, Mr Rogers ran streaming at Beats before the company was acquired by Apple. Before that, he ran Topspin, a music services start-up that helps artists interact with their fans.

Additional reporting by Tim Bradshaw

Ric 7 hours ago
Time for the social activist-cum-CEO to go - he is single-handedly destroying, in just a few years, the whole legacy of innovation and perfectionism left by SJ.

The cumbersome, unwieldy and absolutely unintuitive Apple Music is just one example; likewise for the Apple Watch, which continues to be a solution in search of a problem. Last but not least, the decision to distribute dividends, the Beats purchase and the hiring of execs who have absolutely NOTHING to do with the company's corporate culture just show how Mr Cook is way above his head - he is the true Peter Principle at Apple.

Alas, the usual short-term investors will love to keep him on board - after all, quick ROI is all that matters for them.

TeaDrinker 4 hours ago
@Ric The distribution of dividends is irrelevant. Apple cannot productively use its cash pile, so keeping it does nothing for investors.

As far as Steve Jobs making a "legacy of innovation and perfectionism", that's rather laughable. He combined things other people had invented and refined them, so the perfectionist comment might be true, but not the innovation one, not since his return to Apple at least.

Further, Apple has struggled since the iPhone to launch a product which has performed consistently as well as the iPhone. You could argue Apple is close to a one hit wonder with a bunch of other consistent-ish products supporting it, and that was the case under Jobs as much as under Cook. Or do you think that the Apple TV and iPad have been blowout successes, relative to the iPhone? The iWatch has probably been at least as impressive as either of those, given the downward trajectory of the iPad currently.

Or let me guess, Cook destroyed the iPad while also managing to keep increasing iPhone sales at the same time because he's a bad CEO. Or maybe Apple just aren't as broadly successful as people like to think and hope, and have only managed to maintain their single halo product without having the same level of success with anything else in their entire history under Jobs AND Cook.

And on the one hand you think it's bad to have spent the money on Beats, and on the other it's bad to give the money back to investors. So what should they be doing with their >$100b? There is almost nothing sensible to buy unless they bought their entire supply chain.

SeamusLamb
7 hours ago

Collateral damage was user's playlist; it's nearly impossible to play a list you create automatically. Whether intentional or not it has frustrated million. Cockups like this are important news. Apple has lost the high ground of "software that just works". Software on all platforms has become abysmal. "Fear the Update" is now the norm.

Appleshuttlemister
9 hours ago

If he wasn't fired, maybe he should have been...or at least somebody should be. Apple Music is confusing when it should have been easy to do something simple and great. They paid $3 Billion for the brains to design this when what they had before was great and easy to use...looks like they overthought it...people thinking they had to justify the $3 Billion by making it complicated?

The bad news is they blew an opportunity to grab a huge audience and the good news it can be corrected...but will take some time after its corrected to restore what they lost. This, of course, reminds me of their not ready for prime time mapping app for the iphone...it's finally ready for prime time but Apple lost millions of users by releasing it before it was ready and lost the opportunity to have exclusive users that wouldn't have bothered to download the Google App if Apple's was decent.

Financially, this is not a big deal as everyone's losing money in this space but it was a senseless loss of reputation.

By the way, the advertisements for Apple Music are horrendous also.

Last edited:

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
This may be my fitst time in years not buying a phone straight up.

What's the best way to grab an iPhone for At&t? Official AT&T store, retail store (Best Buy, Walmart), or the Apple Store?

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
Does it matter? Just buy wherever closest to you

It does if one spot is more hassle free than the others. All of the spots are within a 2 mile radius for me so it really doesn't matter where I get it. After posting I read that Apple Store is probably the most streamlined experience as they're not trying to upsell plans and shyt :manny:

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps
‍‍‍‍‍‍
I might wait until some iPhone 6 price drops during Christmas and just cop that

The improved experience attracts me though :francis:

Gotta jump on it early, otherwise you'll be like I've been for the past 2 or 3 years -- stuck cause you couldn't bring yourself to make the jump ::sadcam:

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
This may be my fitst time in years not buying a phone straight up.

What's the best way to grab an iPhone for At&t? Official AT&T store, retail store (Best Buy, Walmart), or the Apple Store?

doesn't matter where u get it. apple will still give u the same warranty no matter what. and u can add apple care to a device bought at a non apple store. on top of that, the price of the device is the same no matter which store. so I'd cop wherever is most convenient for u.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
Not on contract. I just buy my phones used for cheap and then sell them when I upgrade. Bought my 5S for $300 in December of last year. Might just sell it for $300 or $280 and just put some money with it and cop a 6.

I got enough cash to buy a 6S outright but I'm going to use that money for other stuff though.

you think a 5S could fetch $300 still???? :patrice:

Clark Wayne

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
FL
you think a 5S could fetch $300 still???? :patrice:
On Craigslist? Depending on where you're located and what condition the phone is in and the amount of GB you have definitely, if not then at the least $280.

I remember I bought a 4S for $280 in 2012 and sold it for $250 in 2013 even with it having fukked up wifi.

Hell I bought a iPod touch on Craigslist for $150, used it for a year and then sold it for $140.

It also helps if your phone is either unlocked or with a carrier like AT&T since services like Straight Talk and Cricket run on AT&T towers.

The resale value on IPhone's is one of the main reasons why I can't ever see myself using a Android phone.

If you buy the phone outright and just keep it in mint condition you can upgrade every year and only have to spend maybe $250 or $300 for the next iPhone without having to get a contract.

beaniemac

Rap Guerilla
Daps
Reppin
The Chi (South Side)
On Craigslist? Depending on where you're located and what condition the phone is in and the amount of GB you have definitely, if not then at the least $280.

I remember I bought a 4S for $280 in 2012 and sold it for $250 in 2013 even with it having fukked up wifi.

Hell I bought a iPod touch on Craigslist for $150, used it for a year and then sold it for $140.

It also helps if your phone is either unlocked or with a carrier like AT&T since services like Straight Talk and Cricket run on AT&T towers.

The resale value on IPhone's is one of the main reasons why I can't ever see myself using a Android phone.

If you buy the phone outright and just keep it in mint condition you can upgrade every year and only have to spend maybe $250 or $300 for the next iPhone without having to get a contract.

I have sprint, so I can't unlock it for other carriers :sadcam: