Apple Begins Testing Speedy M3 Chips as It Pursues Mac Comeback

Tunez

Lloyd Banks Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Southside, 2gz Up
As Apple prepares to launch its next M2 Macs, the company is already ramping up testing of M3 chips. Also: Meta shows its true feelings about the Apple Watch, and the executive in charge of the TV+ business is leaving. Lastly, Final Cut Pro is coming to the iPad — and what that may mean for Apple’s mixed-reality headset.

Last week in Power On: Apple sees emerging markets rescuing it from a sales slowdown in the US and China.

• 12 CPU cores (six high-performance cores/six power-efficient cores)
  • 18 graphics cores
  • 36GB of memory
If the chip in testing is indeed the base-level M3 Pro, that would mean the increase in core counts compared with the M2 Pro would be similar to the jump from the M1 Pro to the M2 Pro. It would have two more power-efficient CPU cores and two more graphics cores. In this case, the amount of memory is also jumping by 4GB on the top-end configuration.

If the M3 Max were to get a similar gain as the M2 Max (compared with the M1 Max), that would mean Apple’s next high-end MacBook Pro chip could come with up to 14 CPU cores and more than a whopping 40 graphics cores. Speculating even further, that would mean the M3 Ultra chip could top out at 28 CPU cores and sport more than 80 graphics cores, up from a 64-core limit on the M1 Ultra.

I’m sure you’re wondering: How can Apple possibly fit that many cores on a chip? The answer is the 3-nanometer manufacturing process, which the company will be switching to with its M3 line. That approach allows for higher-density chips, meaning a designer can fit more cores into an already small processor.

My belief is the first Macs with M3 chips will begin arriving toward the end of the year or early next year. While the first 15-inch MacBook Air with an M2 chip is set to arrive this summer, the company is already working on M3-based iMacs, high-end and low-end MacBook Pros, and MacBook Airs, I’m told.

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
they need to stop the bullshyt and put out Mac Gaming PCs. People have shown they'll pay the Apple Markup regardless.

I'm surprised they havent considering how strong their processors are...:francis: i mean i guess they dont care about money... shyt apple could sell their processors wholesale to the PC crowd and let the market decide you dont need their OS to game.

TripleAgent

Holding my nuts fukking thousand dollar lesbians
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Baltimore
they need to stop the bullshyt and put out Mac Gaming PCs. People have shown they'll pay the Apple Markup regardless.

I'm surprised they havent considering how strong their processors are...:francis: i mean i guess they dont care about money... shyt apple could sell their processors wholesale to the PC crowd and let the market decide you dont need their OS to game.
DOA without all the major devs on board

xXMASHERXx

Superstar
Daps
DOA without all the major devs on board
At this point, I could only see Apple getting into mobile gaming and using something like Apple TV as a sort of console to play mobile games on. Also, from the majority of Mac users that I have met and know, if they did any gaming it was always on console not on PC:yeshrug:

Daps
Curious to see the price. The M2 macbook air wasnt that successful because of it and because the M1 gen is still amazing.

ridge

Daps
my m1 pro performance is insane..scubbing through 4k video on premiere pro with zero lag or quality drop off on a macbook with the fans not even going off is incredible

cant even imagine how good m3 will be lol

el_oh_el

Bulls On Parade...
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
H-Town
apple is doing way too much with their silica.

the M2 already flopped because the M1/M1 pro/max/ultra were fukking ridiculous and are still top tier 2 years after the fact.
I had zero urge to upgrade from my M1 air. shyt does everything with a breeze. Only just now barely getting the itch for the M3 due to wanting a larger screen.

Rice N Beans

Junior Hayley Stan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, IL
They need to extend the life of the ARM variants. 10 year update path or whatever and entice business users.