Are most Black Louisianians Catholic?

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps
I assume they are because of the history behind Louisana and how Catholic insitutions dominate the state but does it extend to the black community too?

Last edited:

Crude

Superstar
Daps
Most Louisiana Black folks are southern Baptist.

Once you get south of Alexandria which is in the central part of the state the culture and religion changes. Still mostly southern Baptist, but there are a lot of Catholics too.

I think it has something to do with a lot of people down that way being decendents of French settlers and Black people were around it so they adopted it as well.

TNOT

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NOLA
No

Once you go south of I 10 ( technically Alexandria) things change.
That part of the state is referred to as Acadiana. French Settlers made this area home, you’ll know them by “Cajuns”

FWIW New Orleans isn’t considered Acadiana or have a strong Cajun influences.

I was raised Catholic, I didn’t realize this was unusual until I went away to college and nikkas gave me the:usure: when I said I was Catholic

There were a few Black Catholics from the DMV area and some from Cali, and NYC. Other than them everybody else was from Louisiana and the Houston area. I went to a HBCU

I’m rambling....

Growing up we had something called the Black Youth Conference ( BYC). It was like a youth retreats for all the black Catholics in southern Louisiana. It was basically a weekend away from home in Opelousas....... A bunch of teenagers from Lake Charles to New Orleans (coed)

The women ........ my Gawd.... :wow:

George's Dilemma

Banned
Supporter
Daps
No

Once you go south of I 10 ( technically Alexandria) things change.
That part of the state is referred to as Acadiana. French Settlers made this area home, you’ll know them by “Cajuns”

FWIW New Orleans isn’t considered Acadiana or have a strong Cajun influences.

I was raised Catholic, I didn’t realize this was unusual until I went away to college and nikkas gave me the:usure: when I said I was Catholic

There were a few Black Catholics from the DMV area and some from Cali, and NYC. Other than them everybody else was from Louisiana and the Houston area. I went to a HBCU

I’m rambling....

Growing up we had something called the Black Youth Conference ( BYC). It was like a youth retreats for all the black Catholics in southern Louisiana. It was basically a weekend away from home in Opelousas....... A bunch of teenagers from Lake Charles to New Orleans (coed)

The women ........ my Gawd.... :wow:

Reading this makes me realize there's a whole world out there I'm unfamiliar with. Rep.