Are We In For A Potential Pro Wrestling Boom?

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
With Chris Jericho in NJPW to help with the US expansion and NJPW doing shows in the US could you see a small boom? Also, Bullet Club shirts are being sold at Hot Topic.

I don't see a Monday Night Wars type boom, but I see something like non utilized WWE guys going indy and Japan.

Or the Jack Swagger types doing MMA.

Kunty McPhuck

Scust Szn has Returned
Daps
Reppin
Books and Pencils
Wrestling as a whole is in a good place, because their are places for talent to work and earn coin outside of WWE. But you'll need consistent creative booking ideas and the charismatic personalities that will impact culture for more than 5 mins to create a any sort of boom on a commercial level. But with horrible booking tailored to specify people and not the overall product and the lack of charisma of the current day stars not being larger than life, it won't rise past the niche product that Wrestling is and always has been.

Also there is too much other shyt for people to do, in our adhd society for it, to last longer than just being a fad.

SirReginald

The African Diaspora Will Be "ONE" (#PanAfricana)
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Pan Africanism
Wrestling as a whole is in a good place, because their are places for talent to work and earn coin outside of WWE. But you'll need consistent creative booking ideas and the charismatic personalities that will impact culture for more than 5 mins to create a any sort of boom on a commercial level. But with horrible booking tailored to specify people and not the overall product and the lack of charisma of the current day stars not being larger than life, it won't rise past the niche product that Wrestling is and always has been.

Also there is too much other shyt for people to do, in our adhd society for it, to last longer than just being a fad.
Good point. Also, the indy scene is thriving too.

stro

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Indiana
I'd say we're in a boom. Judging it based on ratings or mainstream appeal from the late 80s or Attitude Era is the wrong way to look at things. WWE recently had their biggest quarter OF ALL TIME. NJPW had their best year and best Tokyo Dome attendance in 15 years. ROH had their best year ever. Indies are hotter than every all around the world. There are probably 50 streaming services.

El Cocodrilo

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It takes the right people to trigger the boom

Unless you get a Hogan or Austin you'll just nearly have a boom without having a boom

But wrestling isn't doing bad at all either :manny:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
Considering the wrestling landscape as a whole, the business is certainly on the rise. Wouldn't call it a boom yet - thought it is if you are judging it as a viewer/fan, there's more stuff available than ever - how is Mexico doing? Does anyone know?

MightyHealthy

said what he said
Daps
Reppin
PUROGANG
Considering the wrestling landscape as a whole, the business is certainly on the rise. Wouldn't call it a boom yet - thought it is if you are judging it as a viewer/fan, there's more stuff available than ever - how is Mexico doing? Does anyone know?
CMLL is ready for Fantasticamania.

There's a chap on Reddit who breaks it down for non-fans.

I don't keep up with AAA. I just bank on Vampiro, Sexy Star, or money being the cause for whatever breakdown is happening over there.

Last edited:

Jmare007

pico pal q lee
Daps
Reppin
Chile
CMLL is ready for Fantasticamania.

There's a chap on Reddit who breaks it down for non-fans.

I don't keep up with AAA. I just bank on Vampiro, Sexy Star, or money being the cause for whatever breakdown is happening over there.

Yeah, February is the anual CMLL shows in Korakuen. I meant business wise in Mexico though, I have no clue how well they are doing after the big Atlantis vs Ultimo Guerrero that did big business.

Superstar
Daps
What we're seeing now is not so much a boom, but an end to the talent glut of the 2000s. It took over a decade for alternative wrestling outlets to reemerge in the United States after WCW and ECW were bought out. But they finally did, and now it seems like there's more wrestling than ever, but only because there was so little wrestling from 2001 to 2010.

JerseyBoy23

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Essex County, NJ
Wrestling is having a financial boom right now but I don’t think a popularity boom will happen soon. What we’re seeing in 2018 is how much the hardcore fans left are willing to pay for wrestling.

Right now in America at least, we only have 3 million or so weekly viewers for RAW, which is a fraction of the size of the wrestling viewership in the previous two booms.