Are wealthy blacks banned from helping the black community?

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red
Hear me out brehs.....

I don't mean just saying "Here, $30,000 for every black person in America guys, yay!" That makes no sense. But I mean in the sense of having a foundation that has specific goals of aiding black-owned institutions/black communities around the country/world.

Quick story about myself. My senior year of high school (2 years ago) I got accepted to Morehouse College, and was ABSOLUTELY ecstatic. I was going to be a Morehouse Man™. I was gonna be the tall, dark, handsome breh in a tailored suit casually busting million dollar business deals and driving from my top floor office in my navy blue Wraith to my 10,000 square foot mansion and my IG model wife & 3 kids. They didn't give me financial aid :mjcry: So that didn't happen. I'm still planning on financial success, but I attend a public state university instead. I'm also in the process of starting an e-commerce business in my dorm room.

While thinking of the good life, that's when I thought of this thread question. When I obtain wealth, I want to start a foundation, with two of my actions when I do is to donate a LARGE chunk, in the 9 figure range, as grants for black entrepreneurs. Bootstrapping sucks dikk. Then I want to make large donations to Morehouse & FAMU, because I want Morehouse to be the black Harvard & because FAMU has a LOT of potential and is the unofficial college of my family lol.

But how come no other wealthy blacks have thought of this?:patrice: Both schools have lots of successful alumni, and there are NUMEROUS successful black entrepreneurs. Are they that uncreative, that apathetic towards black people, or are the powers that be threatening them with loss of wealth/assassination if they do?:jbhmm:

TL15

Veteran
Daps
I typed in "Endowment list Morehouse" and they received 135 million

Your assumption that people aren't donating and giving back to HBCUs is easily disproved with a 5 second google search :snoop:

(granted, this is far less than many other schools I know :whoa:...just addressing that before the goal post is shifted)

Morehouse College | House News

Rhapture

♊Dogset Emperor and Sociopathic Socialite ♊
Supporter
Daps
Some give back and some don't. I don't think anyone is holding the ones who don't back.

Memorial Stadium Piru

WE BYKE BABY
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Big Red

Your assumption that people aren't donating and giving back to HBCU's is easily unfounded with a 5 second google search :snoop:

That's nice, but in reality $135MM isn't that much compared to the rest of America, and especially for a crown jewel of the HBCU system. My shytty public school has over $200 million

TL15

Veteran
Daps
That's nice, but in reality $135MM isn't that much compared to the rest of America, and especially for a crown jewel of the HBCU system. My shytty public school has over $200 million

That doesn't mean anything. That's a false parallel.

There is a difference between: "no one is giving back" and "how come their endowment is not AS LARGE AS other schools"

A million dollars is a lot of money. It's not a lot compared to what LeBron James has...but that doesn't mean it's not a lot of money.

There can be numerous reasons why the endowment is smaller...but that doesn't mean they aren't getting money donated. $135 million per year (with plans to increase to $300 million) is a good amount for a school that represents one of the minorities of this country.

Couth

I gave her D she got mad
Daps
Most wealthy people aren't in the charity business. That's not how you get wealthy.

And because its so much harder for a black person to come up I think self made black people understand that more then anyone. fukk a handout. Go get it yourself.

Daps
Most wealthy people aren't in the charity business. That's not how you get wealthy.

And because its so much harder for a black person to come up I think self made black people understand that more then anyone. fukk a handout. Go get it yourself.

the charity business involves tax deductions. lol, best believe wealthy people are in the charity business. it may not be how you get wealthy but its a way to save on taxes and stay wealthy

One

Moreese Bickham with the pistol
Daps
First of all Howard is closest to the Black Harvard. Assuming we're not paying attention to the Black history already existing at these schools.
:wow:

Jokes aside, I don't know if you really meant 9 figures, donations definitely aren't useless but it's better arranging some sort of program distributing wealth that will replenish and continually give rather donating income, it better suits the needs of everybody and is mutually beneficial.

Wealthy Black people being "banned" from helping the Black community is an absurdity. People donating just want to know their money is being used effectively, the current institutions with a history of donating to the Black community are just outdated that's why other avenues are now being put into place.

Aside from the obvious, I think the only obstacle between donating to Black people is often just a place to receive it. Who would it be given to to ensure even distribution? UNCF, NAACP, 100 Black men? A better more involved modern vessel needs to exist.

Last edited:

Ya' Cousin Cleon

OG COUCH CORNER HUSTLA
Daps
Reppin
Harvey World to Dallas, TX
It’s an uphill battle

You have those who feel their charity should suffice

You have those who think charity isn’t enough and we have to build are our own

You have those that don’t care either way

And then you have those who will play the game to rig it in favor of themselves and their circle at the expense of others.

Daps
People give all the time, believe it or not.

That question is very interesting, though.

I think many of our people have a very outdated, self-defeatist view of economic oppression.

Look at racism as a game like Super Mario Brothers. On the lowest levels, is it easier to advance to the next stage. The level of skill needed to succeed is low. The higher you go up, the more difficult it becomes to succeed. To 'beat the game', while doable, requires an exceptional individual.

I'd suggest to any black person who doubts black upward mobility to go spend some time in the DC Metro. Yeah, yeah ... ATL got it too, but DC is a step or two up, in my opinion. Doesn't mean racism isn't there, but you will certainly see that the ability to improve your lot in life is not that uncommon if you're black.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps

Your assumption that people aren't donating and giving back to HBCUs is easily disproved with a 5 second google search :snoop:

(granted, this is far less than many other schools I know :whoa:...just addressing that before the goal post is shifted)

It’s $135M per year, it’s $135M in total, and that’s not that much. I think it actually points to just how much money “isn’t” donated to Morehouse, Spelman’s endowment is about double what Morehouse’s is because they have a loyal alumni base that does donate.
That doesn't mean anything. That's a false parallel.

There is a difference between: "no one is giving back" and "how come their endowment is not AS LARGE AS other schools"

A million dollars is a lot of money. It's not a lot compared to what LeBron James has...but that doesn't mean it's not a lot of money.

There can be numerous reasons why the endowment is smaller...but that doesn't mean they aren't getting money donated. $135 million per year (with plans to increase to $300 million) is a good amount for a school that represents one of the minorities of this country.
Most of the reasons are lack of alumni support and slight mismanagement.

TL15

Veteran
Daps
It’s $135M per year, it’s $135M in total, and that’s not that much. I think it actually points to just how much money “isn’t” donated to Morehouse, Spelman’s endowment is about double what Morehouse’s is because they have a loyal alumni base that does donate.

Most of the reasons are lack of alumni support and slight mismanagement.

but 135 Million in total or each year is a lot of money. Comparatively speaking...it may not be a lot of money compared to other schools, but it is a lot of money in general. It's a silly statement to say "how come no one donates to the school" when there is an endowment that currently sits at $135 million. That is a large pool of money independent of what the next school has.