AZ Recalls Nearly Signing To Dipset

Uncle Phil 36

All Star
Daps
AZ recently discussed how close he came to inking a deal with Dipset in 2007. In an exclusive conversation with HipHopDX, the Brooklyn, New York-native explains that potentially joining Dipset was one of several options he considered while still learning the “mechanics” of the independent model.

“At that time, I was dealing with somebody that was doing business with [Cam’ron] and I was doing business with them,” AZ said. “They hooked that up and Cam was interested. I felt like it was a business move at that particular time if I would’ve went through with it. It didn’t go too far. It was a thought and a short conversation and then was left alone. But at the time, they was hot and doing what they were doing. As artists, you have to still make sure you’re a part of the conversation.

“I was independent but at the same time, I was figuring out the mechanics of that word 'independent,'" he continued. I was testing the waters with a lot of things just to see what was going on. At the time, I was out in the game by myself. So I was seeing who was doing what out there. A lot of artists get caught up in what they get caught up in and they didn’t care less even though we’re in the same circle and the same movements as far as music. There’s strength in numbers. I was just seeing where the mindsets of people were. It’s that type of game. All for one and one for all. You gotta figure it out while your moving.”

AZ Recalls Nearly Signing To Dipset, Details "Doe Or Die II" | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX

AZ On "Illmatic": "I Helped Build That House" | Rappers Talk Hip Hop Beef & Old School Hip Hop | HipHop DX

CoCKy GeNiuS

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Heatmakers were gon by 07', with the Dips at their peak during that time AZ could of benefited off of that push.... I would of wanted him just to sign and continue to do his thing in his own flavor though, as much as I loved the Dips they didn't mesh with the flavor AZ brought at all...

Cory MBA

Bigger Picture
Daps
AZ recently discussed how close he came to inking a deal with Dipset in 2007. In an exclusive conversation with HipHopDX, the Brooklyn, New York-native explains that potentially joining Dipset was one of several options he considered while still learning the “mechanics” of the independent model.

“At that time, I was dealing with somebody that was doing business with [Cam’ron] and I was doing business with them,” AZ said. “They hooked that up and Cam was interested. I felt like it was a business move at that particular time if I would’ve went through with it. It didn’t go too far. It was a thought and a short conversation and then was left alone. But at the time, they was hot and doing what they were doing. As artists, you have to still make sure you’re a part of the conversation.

“I was independent but at the same time, I was figuring out the mechanics of that word 'independent,'" he continued. I was testing the waters with a lot of things just to see what was going on. At the time, I was out in the game by myself. So I was seeing who was doing what out there. A lot of artists get caught up in what they get caught up in and they didn’t care less even though we’re in the same circle and the same movements as far as music. There’s strength in numbers. I was just seeing where the mindsets of people were. It’s that type of game. All for one and one for all. You gotta figure it out while your moving.”

AZ Recalls Nearly Signing To Dipset, Details "Doe Or Die II" | Get The Latest Hip Hop News, Rap News & Hip Hop Album Sales | HipHop DX

AZ On "Illmatic": "I Helped Build That House" | Rappers Talk Hip Hop Beef & Old School Hip Hop | HipHop DX

Sosa and Killa
:sadtorejoice:

H.S.

All Star
Daps
how is he only half done with DoD 2? he announced it in 09 :snoop:

It's crazy to think this album was supposed to drop not long after OB4CL 2. Most of the songs and freestyles he's released over the last year or so have been really good, though. Hopefully Doe or Die II follows suit.