Barbary Lion vs Siberian Tiger

Sword

Rookie
Daps
i aint saying they'd win, i'm saying they're just a more dope animal than the rest of the animal kingdom. they #1 on my list

1. tigers
2. dolphins
3. penguins (fukking cuteness factor)
4. lions
5. leopards

secondly, most these fights would never happen outside of human intervention in which case it's not really objective data

India....they co-existed in the wild, they fought, the tiger lost.

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
India....they co-existed in the wild, they fought, the tiger lost.
you know this how? that was so long ago...how many incidents, what species of tiger and lion? what age, sex, size, etc.? there's a reason captive tigers are smaller than captive lions, most people aren't going to keep an 800 lb animal with the solitary disposition of a tiger around. i've skimmed thru this thread, and a lot of the "evidence" you posted is tainted. but you also have like 4983 posts in here, so i'm not going to keep going as i don't care and truly hate "this animal vs that animal" topics as it points to a bit of a sickness in the human psyche.

Sword

Rookie
Daps
you know this how? that was so long ago...

It wasnt that long ago, romans are long ago, india was just a century ago.

how many incidents, what species of tiger and lion? what age, sex, size, etc.?

If you did read the thread, you would have seen the bonus round posted on the very first post. India has had around 10 incidents, a smaller asiatic lion killed a bengal tiger. 4 occasions in the wild, surat, bangalore, and ganges yamuna. So logic applys, if the hunter said just as big, both were adults, tiger so gender male, this happened in india so the sub-species is obvious, a bengal and a indian lion.

there's a reason captive tigers are smaller than captive lions, most people aren't going to keep an 800 lb animal with the solitary disposition of a tiger around.

I dont really see your point or agenda here. Bears are double to triple the size of tigers and also solitary, and tigers average more in the lines of 400 lbs in captivity. Not 800, 80% of the tiger sub-species like bali, sumatran, malay, indo, south china, ect are either the size of a large leopard or jaguar.

i've skimmed thru this thread, and a lot of the "evidence" you posted is tainted. but you also have like 4983 posts in here,

I dont even have 500 post yet, where are you getting 4,000+ from? And define tainted? You mean something that goes against your tiger >>> everything views?

so i'm not going to keep going as i don't care and truly hate "this animal vs that animal" topics as it points to a bit of a sickness in the human psyche.

Biology is not a sickness, its a science, when you take things personal and have no objective, its a sickness, hence just favoring tigers >>>>>>>>> everthing else it can be called a sickness, because you blind your self to all facts, rational and reasonable, when you are interested in biology and ecology its education.

Many of the sites you see are just fan made, unlike the bonus round thread, it takes opinions exclusively from the people of india, I would think biologist, historians and naturalist of india hold alot more merits than any other people to cite, as they know the tiger/lions indigenous history, they lived with them side by side and even studied them in their wild states .

Last edited:

Sword

Rookie
Daps
Its interesting to note, around 4 of the 1,000 pound lions like sultan, all have manes that extend to the underside, this heightens the probability barbary lions were the largest.

FaTaL

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Its interesting to note, around 4 of the 1,000 pound lions like sultan, all have manes that extend to the underside, this heightens the probability barbary lions were the largest.
I'm surprised scientists haven't been successful in bringing back the Barbary lion

Sword

Rookie
Daps
I'm surprised scientists haven't been successful in bringing back the Barbary lion

Its difficult at this stage, even the lions from Morocco owned by the king had been Dna tested, and they were not barbary lions. The only known bones tested positive came from england, who lions that were gifted to the king. And those were in the 14th century, so they cant really pin point what century the barbary lion went extinct.

The last known wild ones were alleged to be shot in the late 18th century, but were they barbary, or similar to the adida lions? Of course I dont think all were wiped out, if they did do a thorough search in all the zoos, sanctuary's and circuses, I'm pretty sure they can find a descendant. And from there they can set up re-wilding programs.

Since the asiatic lion is also a decedent of the barbary in recent geno patterns tested, they are suggesting using them to reintroduce to north africa, but again...they should look for pure breds first, since a indian lion is still not a barbary, that would be like saying, well all of the irish was killed off, lets take the closets thing related and try and re-populate with a Scottish man and lady. Its not going to be the same.

Sword

Rookie
Daps
If they can bring back the asiatic lion from 20 to 523, pretty sure they can do the same with the barbary lion.

Sword

Rookie
Daps
The bottom line is, the tiger is vulnerable to being bitten in the neck, and there are no records that even suggest a lions mane can be easily by-passed, let alone casually by-passed or extremely by-passed. So the lion has a big advantage in this fight, in terms of lions like this:
AFW-17-RK0097-02P.JPG

The tiger cannot bite the lions throat, nor disembowel him, so how is the tiger winning? In that state alone, the lion has more durability added in with more endurance, how is the tiger winning?

Last edited:

Sword

Rookie
Daps
The tiger weighed 75kg and measured 234cm from nose to tail along the curves.
http://www.nishorgo.org/tbltd/uploa...9872_037 - sundarban tiger project report.pdf

Males weigh from 150–190 kg (330–420 lb)
https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct...w6j5W-kjh-J3ybeTS67qkA&bvm=bv.125596728,d.cGc

The average weight of female tigers in the Sundarbans forests was 76.7kg (170lb) as compared to 138.2kg of other tigers, according to the US
Sundarbans tigers are ‘half the weight of other Bengal tigers in South Asia’ | Latest News & Updates at Daily News & Analysis

The smallest recorded weights for Bengal tigers are from the Bangladesh Sundarbans, where adult females are 75 to 80 kg (165 to 176 lb).
Bengal Tiger

The female tigers from the Sundarbans had a mean weight of 76.7 kg
http://www.carnivoreconservation.org/files/thesis/barlow_2009_phd.pdf

So bengal tigers across all its population weighs more in the lines of 140 kg. Not 221 kg.

Sword

Rookie
Daps
Sub adult lion being weighed 280 kg Dr Almero
IWGuCht.jpg

280 kg sub-adult lion killed
http://www.impalabullets.at/catalog/1-24_en.pdf

Male lion’s weight, depending on the living environment is between 190-280 kg
http://www.ajibha.com/archives/31

(Panthera leo),.The animal stands upto 120cm high at the shoulder and weighs upto 280kg.
African Lion

The lion is the largest of Kenya's three big cats, weighing up to 280 kg.
The wildlife of LUMO

Males weigh around 190-280 kg and in individual cases up to 300 kg
Lion

The white lion is light in colour and at 280 kg,
Bowhunting eMagazine -

captive_and_wild_lions_in_africa_1.png

300 kg African male lion
Captive and wild lions in Africa

I still yet to see any tiger weighed in the past 20 years that breached 262 kg. While there are over 20 male lions who most are even sub-adults known to be 280 kg.

Last edited: