Basquiat's 'Untitled' Painting Sells For $110 Million, The Most Ever Paid For An American Artwork

HoloGraphic

Trillionaire
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Toronto
Maybe so at that last paragraph.
Put your knowledge to test. Your free to choose which art piece(s) of his and break it down.

I'm entirely too lazy to do this. But this does sounds like a good idea for a personal project. Maybe.

Could it also be that he was high on heroin? His painting high or sober, does it make a difference and does it get the same breakdown?

What, on earth, does that change for a professional artist? The artist himself is a part of the art. I dont want to say heroin/drugs enhances but it opens the artist in a way. Though I want to say a true artist doesnt rely on drugs but thats a whole different philosophical debate on channeling higher dimensions of the brain.

There is also antoher artist that painted self protraits under the influence of many drugs.

As for drug use and professional critique....depends on the quality of the artist, IMO. You get drunk and apply sloppy skills means much less than if you smoke heroin in an art house as one of the most prominent artists of your time... thats a bit different.

Bro, don't bother. You are talking to people who were brought up to think the more realism = better.

You're exactly right. Art teaches us to look beyond the base, the obvious. To use our intuitions, empathy and sensitivity to partake in a deeper, richer reality. A doorway to deeper dimensions.

Reminds me of the concept of the movie They Live.

Anyways, I may be mistaken but wasnt his [Basquiate's] earlier art less abstract?

Last edited:

IVS

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
In the sky
Meh! I'm unmoved. And Im not a fan of his art for the most part.

Last edited:

mortuus est

Veteran
Daps
I like your analysis. However, if he was high on heroin..breh was junkie...does that change if the heroin was kicking and he was just painting all.over the place, would you have a different analysis?

before the heroin he was a weed head from young by the way

Poitier

My Words Law
Supporter
Daps
You're exactly right. Art teaches us to look beyond the base, the obvious. To use our intuitions, empathy and sensitivity to partake in a deeper, richer reality. A doorway to deeper dimensions.

Anyways, I may be mistaken but wasnt his [Basquiate's] earlier art less abstract?

He started off doing tags and graffiti.

Rozay Oro

2 Peter 3:9 if you don’t know God
Supporter
Daps
I'm entirely too lazy to do this. But this does sounds like a good idea for a personal project. Maybe.

What, on earth, does that change for a professional artist? The artist himself is a part of the art. I dont want to say heroin/drugs enhances but it opens the artist in a way. Though I want to say a true artist doesnt rely on drugs but thats a whole different philosophical debate on channeling higher dimensions of the brain.

There is also antoher artist that painted self protraits under the influence of many drugs.

As for drug use and professional critique....depends on the quality of the artist, IMO. You get drunk and apply sloppy skills means much less than if you smoke heroin in an art house as one of the most prominent artists of your time... thats a bit different.

Well tag me when you do.
@Poiter stfu
Low end theory album cover shyts on Basquiate's fukkery

egsteel

All Star
Daps
Money laundering

:usure:
This was the first thing that came to mind. And the buyer is from Japan? Probably just cleaning money for his yakuza brethren. Just like how that russian billionaire bought Trump's $45 million house for $90 million then demolished it.

Black Magisterialness

Moderna Boi
Supporter
Daps
@Poitier and @JahBuhLun dropping gems in here...I feel like I'm back in college again. :wow:

Poitier is right in dudes hustle and talent to address these issues under the noses of white folks.
but Jah also right in acknowledging that if dude wasn't on the Scene at that time when goofy, coked up white kids and art critics needed a negro to knight he wouldn't be as revered.

:salute:

JahBuhLun

Graphic Alchemist
Daps
@Poitier and @JahBuhLun dropping gems in here...I feel like I'm back in college again. :wow:

Poitier is right in dudes hustle and talent to address these issues under the noses of white folks.
but Jah also right in acknowledging that if dude wasn't on the Scene at that time when goofy, coked up white kids and art critics needed a negro to knight he wouldn't be as revered.

:salute:
Appreciate that. With anything, it's a matter of location, timing, opportunity, seizing on that opportunity and networking with the right people. But I think it was @Poitier who pointed out the most important factor, that is he was a hustler, producing work and getting out there. Here are 2 scenes from his bio pic that kinda speak to what I was saying about Rene Richard putting him in the spotlight with his "Radiant Child" article.

Here's an actual interview

This shows Fab Five Freddy in the beginning talking about his art, the Basquiat interview starts at the 5:30 mark.