Ben Carson Says Poverty Is Largely ‘a State of Mind’

gangreen

Top Notch
Daps
Reppin
Brooklyn #byrdgang
I understood his premise but he is oversimplifying poverty in America.Poverty and especially the cycle of poverty in this country is based on numerous factors.

Terrible political comment a decade ago but now in this climate it doesnt matter what they say. They say things we move on, didnt he say some dumb ass statement that african Slaves were immigrants earlier this year.

Im not really surprised because thats what the whole Trump movement and Administration is about. Thinking that big problems that has plagued this country for decades are simply solved by a very simple solution. Like the other Presidents and members of congress before them haven t thought about the things they are proposing.

Build a Wall, Pull out of Nafta, Take the oil away from Iraq, Get rid of Public Schools, it goes on and on with these people.

Cobratron

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
more Carson Quotables
GIF--laughing-funny-LOL-haha-hehe-hilarious-fun-happy-laugh-Idi-Amin-Dada-GIF.gif

the african immigrants had the mindset that they were slaves :troll:
Sounds like a few posters here.

DynamoEAR

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston/ATL
Old black men who have been around white people so long feeding them that "well you made it here so the other blacks have no excuse" lines so much that they start to believe it...

One of the biggest problems in the black community is that older well to do black people...tend not to like other black people...

The most racist and ignorant shyt I have heard about black people have actually been from other older black people...

They always on some "you nikkas is embarrasing me in front of massa" stuff...
Disagree. It's absolutely not an age thing. I've seen so many younger black people buy into that.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I haven't read the book, but some of these idealogies and belief systems are similar to some said and I perceive to be advocated by people like Charlamagne, esp. in that book he wrote. The "If I did it, so can you, and just as "easily" and successfully too", the whole country seems to be founded on that misleading premise.

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
there is nothing wrong with what he said

there is another side to to poverty, which has to do with the social structures and institutions that are set up to benefit some certain people, but poverty is a mindset and a culture

theworldismine13

God Emperor of SOHH
Daps
Reppin
Arrakis
this argument shows why black people should not be liberals or conservatives

black people are poor because of both institutional racism and because of a poverty mentality, anybody that says one without the other is saying a half truth

Breh13

Smh.
Supporter
Daps
I'm for taking all the money from some rich people. With their rich state of mind they should be back up there in no time. :troll:

Anyway, to some extent he isn't wrong.

Larry Lambo

Superstar
Daps
there is nothing wrong with what he said

there is another side to to poverty, which has to do with the social structures and institutions that are set up to benefit some certain people, but poverty is a mindset and a culture

I agree with what he said on an aggregate level, but he oversimplified the issue. The pathology that permeates low income urban areas has more impact on upward mobility than the actual poverty itself. If you grew up poor but in an area with no crime, no gangs, no drugs, and people that respect themselves and others, then the poverty would be much easier to overcome.

I look at my family and a lot of my uncles/aunts/older cousins were able to rise out of poverty in the 60's and 70's versus the generation that came about later. Sh*t was bad back then but the families were stronger even if was just a single mother, and they had positive people in their lives. The social ills in the black community were a fraction of what they are now.

But that was then, society is different now and being poor and being in a destructive environment is mainly one in the same. Most families in the hood aren't "Good Times" anymore. Sh*t is hella bleak for these kids, and even if they have a good parent(s), they still have to fend for themselves in a terrible environment

So to say it's all about mentality, is ignoring the environment that exists. Now if everybody had the right mentality, then yeah sure, it would be easier for people to move up, But to expect individuals to have that mentality knowing the obstacles that they have to dodge is not fair or realistic. You have to improve the conditions before the individuals will change.

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
"MIND ON MY MONEY MONEY ON MY MIND"
if you dont have a mindset to escape poverty you never will....

Ben speaking over ya'll heads again
You're speaking backwards. The mindset to escape poverty isn't going to get you out of poverty.
Opportunities, social capital, access to resources, luck, and a mindset are usually necessary to escape poverty.