Best Rapper Alive - 1994

Who's the MVP of 1994?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Inspect Her Deck

Skins of all colours come together as brothers
Daps
This is the first official thread for a series I'll call 'Best Rapper Alive'. Basically, in this thread (http://www.thecoli.com/threads/revi...list-how-can-we-make-it-more-accurate.465427/), I discussed Complex's article that covered this very issue.

I thought we'd do a Coli spin on things and vote for who we believe to be the rap MVP of each year. I will be going from 1985-2015 but the threads won't be made in ascending or descending order. Just random.

Basically, I will be listing contenders as poll options for MVP of any given year and y'all get one vote to vote for your MVP.

POINT SYSTEM
I will only reward the top 5 finishers of each poll.

1st place = 10 points
2nd place = 5 points
3rd place = 3 points
4th place = 2 points
5th place = 1 point

The reason the remaining 4 places matter is because when all is said and done, I'll be tallying up points to see who finishes in the top 10 ever. This is done to reward consistent top 5 placers in multiple years even if they never won the MVP for one given year.

WEIGHTING SYSTEM/MULTIPLIER
I believe that winning the MVP in a super competitive year like 1996 is more valuable than say 2012. For that reason, I will be rewarding winners with extra points in those tougher years. If we take the least competitive year and give it a base value of 1.0, it basically means they adhere to the standard point system. If you the MVP of 2012 and it has a 1.0 base value, you stay with 10 points (10 x 1). If you are the MVP of 1996 and it has a 1.5 base value, you get 15 points (10 x 1.5). The top 5 placers in every thread will have their points multiplied by the base value.

I have not yet determined the base value for each year so we'll decide upon this at a later date. It isn't crucial at this stage.

CONTENDER PRE-REQUISITES
There's only one real pre-requisite. You must have an album released in that year. This matters more to me than it does to you guys since I'm making the poll options, but just so y'all know this is the angle I'm coming from. Snoop Dogg cannot be in contention for 1995 for example.

As for groups and duos, if there's a standout member I will put them for contention if I deem them worthy enough e.g. Andre 3000 for 1998 or Ice Cube for 1988.

As for number of contenders per thread, it will depend on the year. A year like 1994 will likely have 10-15 contenders (max poll option is 15), but for 1985 it could be 5-6 only.

-----------------------------------------------

Today, we're looking at one of the most competitive and classic heavy years in 1994.

I thought I'd also make a new hashtag for y'all to follow, so you can keep up to date with every thread release. Let's go with #BRAColi.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
I just realised something @mobbinfms....we might not get 5 placers for every thread

if we just get two for example (Nas and Big), I'll just reward whoever's selected

that will just further illustrate one's dominance in a given year with the voting I guess

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Like the BRA hashtag :shaq:
Where's O.C. and Pharoah?
Master P??
Voted Nas :ahh:

will add both of them to the poll

yeah Master P released...idk why I picked him though....kinda like an outsider's shot hah

as for this poll....

Biggie is the more conventional popular MVP pick....he had a 'bigger' (no pun intended) year

Nas in many peoples' eyes released the better album....only I think RTD is better

gotta go Biggie tbh

mobbinfms

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
TPC
will add both of them to the poll

yeah Master P released...idk why I picked him though....kinda like an outsider's shot hah

as for this poll....

Biggie is the more conventional popular MVP pick....he had a 'bigger' (no pun intended) year

Nas in many peoples' eyes released the better album....only I think RTD is better

gotta go Biggie tbh
Breh - Master P was just emerging on the Bay scene thanks to the compilation West Coast Bad Boyz in late 94. He was virtually unknown nationwide. You should take him off.

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
IMO Nas, but Big and Nas are the only ones getting votes :mjlol:

well that's fair enough

idk maybe Meth has an outside shot but Tical as an album wasn't in the same stratosphere....his popularity and MVP appeal certainly was

maybe one or two Reggie Noble fans will come through

but for all intents and purposes it is between Nas and Big, and rightfully so

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Breh - Master P was just emerging on the Bay scene thanks to the compilation West Coast Bad Boyz in late 94. He was virtually unknown nationwide. You should take him off.

I can't take him off, it won't allow me

he won't get votes anyway tbh

Inspect Her Deck

Daps
Warren G :bryan:

I would say Nas or O.C. at that time.

you mention OC but laugh at Warren G? Even though his shyt was hot everywhere? Even though he released just as good (if not better) an album?

It's about to be a repeat of the Source Award for Nas:mjcry:
I wonder if losing this award will inspire him to drop an album on par with IWW :wow:

was the first proper Source Awards show in 1994? It seems when they were handing out best rapper Source Awards prior to that year, they were doing it in the Yo MTV Raps studio or something...I saw it in 1991 and 1992 for Cube and Redman respectively