Wig-Twisting Season
Daps
latest
Sega of America ruined the Saturn for us by jumping the gun :pacspit:

Japan was eating off it until like 2001 :to:

IslandG

All Star
Daps
While to this day I prefer cartridges to optical media as I hate loading with a passion, Nintendo's usage of cartridges over CDs for the N64 were what allowed Sony to gain traction in the videogame market. If Nintendo had used CDs the gaming market would not resemble what it is today at all.

Last edited:

ORDER_66

The Fire Rises 2023
Daps
Reppin
Queens,NY
While to this day I prefer cartridges to optical media as I hate loading witha passion, Nintendo's usage of cartridges over CDs for the N64 were what allowed Sony to gain traction in the videogame market. If Nintendo had used CDs the gaming market would not resemble what it is today at all.

mvi2SOC.gif

levitate

I love you, you know.
Daps
Reppin
The Multiverse
You still can't buy used games and shyt
Not sure if /s or not. If so, please enlighten me kind sir. Which item in my quote was not part of the original Xbox One announcement? Were these original Xbox One details not off-putting to the gaming community resulting in less than desired sales, price drops, and Microsoft playing catch-up to Sony?

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
While to this day I prefer cartridges to optical media as I hate loading witha passion, Nintendo's usage of cartridges over CDs for the N64 were what allowed Sony to gain traction in the videogame market. If Nintendo had used CDs the gaming market would not resemble what it is today at all.
I can't agree with this. Certain cartridge games did have load times. Also, Nintendo quickly switched gears once they saw the PS and dropped the Gamecube. So we did get to see what Nintendo would have done with CDs fairly early on. While Nintendo is the king of Hardware innovation for video games, they are very stubborn, and stagnant when it comes to their software. Regardless of the format, whether its cartridge, cd, blu ray, or if they start selling thumb drives, the end user experience will remain very much the same with Nintendo. Family friendly gaming with what seems to be no real interest to compete in the late teen to adult gaming market.

IslandG

All Star
Daps
I can't agree with this. Certain cartridge games did have load times. Also, Nintendo quickly switched gears once they saw the PS and dropped the Gamecube. So we did get to see what Nintendo would have done with CDs fairly early on. While Nintendo is the king of Hardware innovation for video games, they are very stubborn, and stagnant when it comes to their software. Regardless of the format, whether its cartridge, cd, blu ray, or if they start selling thumb drives, the end user experience will remain very much the same with Nintendo. Family friendly gaming with what seems to be no real interest to compete in the late teen to adult gaming market.

Remember I was talking about the N64 era. there was no loading games on the N64 cartridges at the time. The cartridges were not that big. A port of Resident Evil 2 I think was the only game on the N64 that had anything appearing close to load times due to having to uncompress the FMV that they crammed into the cartridge.

Bear in mind that I am not saying that load times was the reason why nintendo won or lost. In my opinion the low cost of CDs meant that that third parties coud produce much more copies at a very low cost at very low risk. Cartridges were much more expensive for third parties to manufacture. I also think they had to buy them from Nintendo. This meant third parties started focusing on the playstation.

With respect to the Gamecube comment, I'm saying you wouldn't have gotten to the point where gamecube would have had to compete against the Playstation 2. If nintendo had gone CDs, Final Fantasy VII etc would have gone to Nintendo and Playstaion 1 would never have gotten much traction (certainly much less) so there may not even had been a Playstation 2 for Gmaecube to go up against..etc

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Remember I was talking about the N64 era. there was no loading games on the N64 cartridges at the time. The cartridges were not that big. A port of Resident Evil 2 I think was the only game on the N64 that had anything appearing close to load times due to having to uncompress the FMV that they crammed into the cartridge.

Bear in mind that I am not saying that load times was the reason why nintendo won or lost. In my opinion the low cost of CDs meant that that third parties coud produce much more copies at a very low cost at very low risk. Cartridges were much more expensive for third parties to manufacture. I also think they had to buy them from Nintendo. This meant third parties started focusing on the playstation.

With respect to the Gamecube comment, I'm saying you wouldn't have gotten to the point where gamecube would have had to compete against the Playstation 2. If nintendo had gone CDs, Final Fantasy VII etc would have gone to Nintendo and Playstaion 1 would never have gotten much traction (certainly much less) so there may not even had been a Playstation 2 for Gmaecube to go up against..etc

I just can't agree with the idea that Nintendo fell behind or things would have been different if they would have changed the physical format their games were on. Regardless, they were still putting out the same very safe games. PS came out with violent games. Stuff that appealed to a much more mature audience. What Nintendo needed was a Sony partnership like they were going to have in the beginning before they pulled out and left Sony on their own. The format wasn't the issue. It was their leadership.

Fatboi1

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Not sure if /s or not. If so, please enlighten me kind sir. Which item in my quote was not part of the original Xbox One announcement? Were these original Xbox One details not off-putting to the gaming community resulting in less than desired sales, price drops, and Microsoft playing catch-up to Sony?
:mjlol:

:troll:

IslandG

All Star
Daps
I just can't agree with the idea that Nintendo fell behind or things would have been different if they would have changed the physical format their games were on. Regardless, they were still putting out the same very safe games. PS came out with violent games. Stuff that appealed to a much more mature audience. What Nintendo needed was a Sony partnership like they were going to have in the beginning before they pulled out and left Sony on their own. The format wasn't the issue. It was their leadership.

Nintendo themselves were putting out the family friendly games. The lack of third parties meant that Nintendo game themselves became the center of attention as no one else was making games for the N64. If the third parties had remained on the system you would have much more diverse type of games on the system and the family friendly thing wouldn't have been so dominant. People talk about Mortal Kombat being censored but Mortal II came out on the Super NES and had full blood. Killer Instinct was another violent games. Turok. Doom 64 and a bunch of Mortal Kombat games came out on the N64 early in the N64's lifecycle too and these were very violent games. So it's not like Nintendo was that averse to having violent games on their system; it's just that Nintendo themselves were not the ones to make them.

Kamikaze Revy

Bwana ni mwokozi wangu
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Outer Heaven
Nintendo themselves were putting out the family friendly games. The lack of third parties meant that Nintendo game themselves became the center of attention as no one else was making games for the N64. If the third parties had remained on the system you would have much more diverse type of games on the system and the family friendly thing wouldn't have been so dominant. People talk about Mortal Kombat being censored but Mortal II came out on the Super NES and had full blood. Killer Instinct was another violent games. Turok. Doom 64 and a bunch of Mortal Kombat games came out on the N64 early in the N64's lifecycle too and these were very violent games. So it's not like Nintendo was that averse to having violent games on their system; it's just that Nintendo themselves were not the ones to make them.
:ehh: I like how you put that