Bill to make lynching a federal crime

Secure Da Bag

Veteran
Daps
The Senate’s Three Black Members Introduce Bill to Finally Make Lynching a Federal Crime

The only three African-American senators currently serving in the United States teamed up Friday to introduce a bill that would finally make lynching a federal crime.

The bill, called the “Justice for Victims of Lynching Act of 2018,” was introduced by Sens. Kamala Harris (D-CA), Cory Booker (D-NJ) and Tim Scott (R-SC).

“Lynching is a dark, despicable part of our history, and we must acknowledge that, lest we repeat it,” Harris said in a statement. “From 1882 to 1986 there have been 200 attempts that have failed to get Congress to pass federal anti-lynching legislation, it’s time for that to change.”

After all these previous attempts, which date back to 1918, Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-KY) has said that he he said. “But if we need one at the federal level, I certainly would support it.”

:wtf:

How isn't one already? Though this bill is necessary, as I alluded to, this should have been done decades ago. The cynic in me gets the feeling that this might be for Presidential nominee attention. But. Given the things that are being said and done in this country, this bill is far better than nothing.

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
How isn't one already? Though this bill is necessary, as I alluded to, this should have been done decades ago. The cynic in me gets the feeling that this might be for Presidential nominee attention. But. Given the things that are being said and done in this country, this bill is far better than nothing.

:dahell: its not???

That's what I was thinking. Isn't the whole point of federal civil rights legislation that lynching became a federal crime?

This has got to be just a technicality over the language or something. Right?