Black Art/Independent Films Part 2

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
If you're a fan of art/independent films and wanna see more made by and starring people who look like us, then hopefully this thread can be a resource and place of discussion.
- @CJVisuals

I've decided to make part 2 of @CJVisuals thread to expand on more black indie work/blk film, plus the old thread last page keep "error" up on my mac

@O.Red

Original thread :

http://www.thecoli.com/threads/black-art-independent-films.135608/

QOK.jpg

Disney has slotted Mira Nair’s drama “Queen of Katwe” for a September 23 theatrical premiere in the USA. It will open in a limited release to start, and then expand it a week later on September 30, to other cities around the country.

Lupita Nyong’o co-stars in the film which is based on “The Queen of Katwe: A Story of Life, Chess, and One Extraordinary Girl’s Dream of Becoming a Grandmaster,” by author Tim Crothers, which tells the true story of Ugandan chess prodigy Phiona Mutesi, also known as “The Queen of Katwe.”

For 10-year-old Phiona Mutesi (Nalwanga) and her family, life in the impoverished slum of Katwe in Kampala, Uganda, is a constant struggle. Her mother, Harriet (Nyong’o), is fiercely determined to take care of her family and works tirelessly selling vegetables in the market to make sure her children are fed and have a roof over their heads. When Phiona meets Robert Katende (Oyelowo), a soccer player turned missionary who teaches local children chess, she is captivated. Chess requires a good deal of concentration, strategic thinking and risk taking, all skills which are applicable in everyday life, and Katende hopes to empower youth with the game. Phiona is impressed by the intelligence and wit the game requires and immediately shows potential. Recognizing Phiona’s natural aptitude for chess and the fighting spirit she’s inherited from her mother, Katende begins to mentor her, but Harriet is reluctant to provide any encouragement, not wanting to see her daughter disappointed. As Phiona begins to succeed in local chess competitions, Katende teaches her to read and write in order to pursue schooling. She quickly advances through the ranks in tournaments, but breaks away from her family to focus on her own life. Her mother eventually realizes that Phiona has a chance to excel and teams up with Katende to help her fulfill her extraordinary potential, escape a life of poverty and save her family.

Nair directs from a screenplay penned by William Wheeler.

The film is produced by Lydia Dean Pilcher (“The Darjeeling Limited”) and John Carls (“Where the Wild Things Are”), with Will Weiske and Troy Buder serving as executive producers.

Last edited:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Bilal.jpg

FINAL TRAILER + POSTERS FOR ‘BILAL: A NEW BREED OF HERO’ – INSPIRED BY STORY OF ETHIOPIAN SLAVE WHO BECAME “VOICE OF ISLAM”

Actor Adewale Akinnuoye-Agbaje partnered up with Barajoun Entertainment, to produce and star in its first feature film production. The “Lost,” “Annie” (and more) star voices the lead character in an animated feature film titled “Bilal: A New Breed of Hero,” which will be unlike anything produced in the region to date.

“The movie tells the story of a real superhero, an African slave who was brought to Arabia 1,000 years ago and fought for his freedom,” the actor said earlier in the year. “He became an inspiration to generations and we’re retelling his story 1,000 years later.”

The story is based on the true story of Bilal Ibn Rabah, a freed slave of Ethiopian origin who converted to Islam and became a trusted companion of the Prophet Muhammad after he gained his freedom

The film’s short synopsis reads: A thousand years ago, one boy with a dream of becoming a great warrior is abducted with his sister and taken to a land far away from home. Thrown into a world where greed and injustice rule all, Bilal finds the courage to raise his voice and make a change. Inspired by true events, this is a story of a real hero who earned his remembrance in time and history.

Last summer, in a very informative profile of the project in Abu Dhabi-based arts and culture magazine, The National, we learned further that a team of about 250 animation professionals (including some who have worked on movies such as “Shrek,” “Life of Pi,” “Star Wars” and “The Avengers”) were working on the project.

“My inspiration was my kid, and myself,” said Ayman Jamal, the screenwriter, founder and managing partner of Barajoun Entertainment. “When I watched movies like ‘Braveheart’ or ‘Malcolm X’ when I was in my late 20s and early 30s, I was inspired. Why wasn’t I inspired when I was 10, I asked myself? I asked my 5-year-old son what he wanted to be when he grew up. He said: ‘Superman’. I love Superman, but I wish he’d said something possible, and I wanted to create this. To inspire kids with a real human superhero that they can aspire to.”

He added: “Superman is the reason I did this. I had to save my kid.”

“This is the first studio of this quality in the Middle East. Initially we wanted to acquire one, but there was simply nothing on this level. There was nothing that was able to fulfil the pipeline to produce a full animation movie. A typical animated TV series would normally take a maximum of 20,000 hours to render. A movie like ‘Bilal’ will take four to five million hours. To put it in perspective, ‘Frozen’ took 60 million hours to render. Likewise, a full TV series will take 20 to 25 team members to work on. ‘Bilal’ has more than 250. This complexity just didn’t exist in the region until now.”

Jamal further explained: “We’ve paid serious attention to detail. We hired 11 researchers, including doctors from universities, to research the history of the story, and we’ve taken all the characters’ descriptions from at least 17 different historical sources. We hired two forensic scientists to model the characters based on these descriptions and what we know about the tribes of the time. It took six months to design each character and we’re really proud of it. We’re showing the characters exactly as described in historical texts, not just using our imagination. We’ve spent 5,000 hours of research to develop clothes and props too.”

He continued: “… But it’s a misconception to think animation is a cheaper option. A feature film with Brad Pitt or Denzil Washington will take 16 weeks to shoot and put through post. For animation, you’re talking about 150 weeks. Shrek cost US$120 million. A typical live blockbuster costs 20 or 30 million dollars. Bilal’s hair alone took 960 hours to execute. That’s one character. The most difficult part of animation or CGI is hair and clothes because of the way they move. When my studio manager came here from LA, he said he expected to stay for three months. He had developed 56 characters in the movies he’d worked on in 15 years. In ‘Bilal’ there are 92 characters, not to mention one of biggest battle scenes in CGI history.”

The project was in development for 8 years, according to the passionate producer, and it’s now set for official distribution around the world (including the USA) beginning later this fall. September 8 is the month listed on the film’s website, as well as the new posters below (although no word yet on what countries). It’s currently touring the international film festival circuit.

“We want to help develop the regional industry step by step. We’re speaking to government entities about the possibility of opening an institute to graduate CGI artists so they can train and hopefully find a job. I always give the example of New Zealand, where Weta Digital has created a whole industry from nothing post-‘Lord of the Rings,’ and now New Zealand handles half of the US post-production. Everyone is watching us. People doubted we could develop this quality at the start, but after trailer went online they’re taking us seriously. Everyone else in the region does TV, but we’re the first here to be crazy enough to say: ‘Let’s do a movie’, and not just for the region, but one for the world.”

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
BAZODEE_Poster-1.jpg

Machel Montano, Trinidad & Tobago soca singer, record producer and songwriter, stars alongside actress Natalie Perera in director Todd Kessler’s musical romance “Bazodee” (Baz’oh’dee is Trinidadian Slang for a state of dizziness or confusion – often used with regards to love or infatuation.

The film tells the story of Anita (Natalie Perera), the dutiful Indian daughter of a deep-in-debt businessman (Kabir Bedi), who is about to marry a wealthy Londoner (Staz Nair) when a chance encounter with local singer, Lee de Leon (Soca music star Machel Montano in his film debut) sets things askew. In search of a muse, de Leon agrees to perform at the engagement party for both families. Unable to deny their mutual attraction, and with the excitement of Carnival approaching, Anita must now choose between the answer to her family’s financial prayers, and the possibility of real love. With a vivid, colorful Trinidad during Carnival season as the backdrop, the film is described as a new style Bollywood musical with a distinctly Caribbean island flavor.

Marking Machel Montano’s feature acting debut, the filmmakers hope that “Bazodee” introduces soca music – which originated within a marginalized subculture in Trinidad and Tobago in the late 70s – to audiences nationwide, while combining it with the flair of Bollywood tradition.

Written by Claire Ince, and produced By Monk Pictures and Indiepelago Films, “Bazodee” hits USA theaters on August 5, 2016.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
download.png

"Second Coming": NOW STREAMING ON NETFLIX USA

Award-winning British playwright Debbie Tucker Green’s feature film directorial debut, “Second Coming,” premieres today on Netflix streaming, so here’s your chance to take a look at this peculiar film.

Nadine Marshall and Idris Elba play a married couple, Jacqueline and Mark, who have a young son Jerome, or JJ (Kai Francis Lewis). But their relationship is stagnant: Jacqueline has not had sex with Mark – or anyone else – for some time. Then she discovers she is pregnant. This would be a difficult subject to raise with Mark at the best of times.

Director Debbie Tucker Green plausibly imagines what might happen: intense denial and pressure-cooker levels of fear and anger rising as the bump gets bigger – and maybe even a mute need to believe in the fiction of adultery and risk hurting one’s partner, rather than confront the unthinkable supernatural truth. The pure fear that Marshall wordlessly suggests is superb.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Mediterranea_Web.jpg

CRITICALLY-ACCLAIMED, AWARD-WINNING, TIMELY DRAMA ‘MEDITERRANEA’ NOW STREAMING ON NETFLIX

It was a multiple 2016 Spirit Award nominee in the Best First Feature, Best First Screenplay and Best Male Lead categories; the filmmaker, Jonas Carpignano, won the Breakthrough director award at the 25th Gotham Awards Winners for his unflinching immigrant struggles tale, “Mediterranea;” and now the film is available on Netflix (USA) after a very limited theatrical run in New York City, courtesy of Sundance Selects.

One of three films selected to contend for the 2015 prestigious LUX Film Prize, Carpignano’s debut feature was picked up by Sundance Selects after its Cannes Film Festival debut last year. The topical drama that made its world premiere at the La Semaine de la Critique (International Critics’ Week) – a parallel section of the Cannes Film Festival that focuses on discovering new talents – follows a young Burkinabe man who leaves his native Burkina Faso in search of a better life, making the perilous journey to Italy, only to find he’s unprepared for the intolerance facing immigrants in that country.

Carpignano’s film assesses the very fragile and topical issue of Mediterranean crossings by immigrants seeking freedom and safety.

The 30-year-old filmmaker, with a mother originally from Barbados and an Italian father, broached familiar territory in his multiple award winning short film entitled “A Chjàna,” 4 years ago. His latest short film, “A Ciambra,” also won the Discovery Award at the 53rd Critics’ Week at Cannes. Carpignano also participated in the Sundance Writers & Directors Lab in 2012 and was awarded the Mahindra / Sundance GFA Award.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
HiddenColors.jpg

‘HIDDEN COLORS 4: THE RELIGION OF WHITE SUPREMACY’ OUT ON DVD TODAY

After a national independent theatrical opening last week (May 26), “Hidden Colors 4: The Religion of White Supremacy,” will be released today (June 7) on DVD.

“Hidden Colors 4” is the latest installment in a series created by author/producer/director Tariq Nasheed, that uncovers the hidden history of people of African descent.

Each series installment has had a profitable theatrical showing, before their DVD roll-out, and has become the best selling and longest running series dedicated to highlighting the history of African people and their contributions to civilization all over the world.

What makes this series even more notable is that it has been financed through Kickstarter campaigns; also pre-sales for the latest documentary has been competing with the DVD sales of “Zootopia,” “Capt.America: Civil War,” and “X-Men: Apocalypse.”

Not bad that a independent (black-owned) production company is giving the well-financed major studios a run for their money.

Check out a preview below and purchase “Hidden Colors 4” on Amazon or hiddencolorsfilm.com.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Kicks-Teaser-Poster.jpeg

TRAILER DEBUT: ‘KICKS’ (JAHKING GUILLORY STARS IN JUSTIN TIPPING’S VIBRANT COMING-OF-AGE SNEAKER DRAMA)

Justin Tipping is a writer/director originally from the Oakland, CA Area. Following his Student Academy Award winning short film, “Nani,” Tipping makes his feature film directorial debut with “Kicks,” which is currently traveling the film festival circuit, with recent stops at the Tribeca Film Festival and the Los Angeles Film Festival.

The drama follows 15-year-old Brandon, who longs for a pair of the freshest sneakers that money can buy, assuming that merely having them on his feet will help him escape the reality of being poor, ignored by girls, and routinely bullied by other. Working hard to get them, he soon finds that the shoes have instead made him a target after they are taken away from him by local thug Flaco, a man with complexities of his own that will be revealed when Brandon goes on a mission to retrieve his stolen sneakers with his two best friends along for the adventure.

The film is described as a vibrant coming-of-age story bursting with magical realism, delivering an entertaining but sobering look at the realities of inner-city life, manhood, and sneaker culture, with a soundtrack that includes hip-hop classics.

The cast includes Jahking Guillory, starring as Brandon, as well as Christopher Meyer, CJ Wallace, Kofi Siriboe, and Mahershala Ali.

The script was penned by Joshua Beirne-Golden. David Kaplan is producer.

A first trailer for the film has been released:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
TooBlack.jpg

‘TOO BLACK TO BE FRENCH’ EXPLORES COLONIAL PAST, RACE AND PERSISTENCE OF RACISM IN FRANCE TODAY

From French-Ivorian filmmaker Isabelle Boni-Claverie comes a new documentary titled “Too Black to be French,” which explores the role of race and the persistence of racism in France, as well as the impact of country’s colonial past, soliciting anonymous individuals to speak on their daily experiences with race, class, discrimination and so-called micro-aggressions.

Through an exploration of her own personal family history, and interviews with historians and academics, Boni-Claverie peels back the layers of race relations in supposedly institutionally colorblind France, unpacking how socio-economic privilege doesn’t mean protection from racial discrimination (the filmmaker grew up in upper class French society).

The film also features interviews with acclaimed sociologists and historians including Pap Ndiaye, Eric Fassin, Achille Mbembe, and Patrick Simon to help contextualize racial history in France, all with the aim to start an urgent conversation on French society’s inequalities and discrimination.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
lenny-cooke-poster.jpg

THE RISE AND FALL OF LENNY COOKE IN AWARD-WINNING SAFDIE BROTHERS DOCUMENTARY (ON NOW)

It’s frustrating watching another human being with so much natural ability and resulting opportunities, not realize their potential; and even worse are the primary reasons for not realizing that potential, whether unwittingly or not, when those opportunities are almost certain to lead to lifelong dreams fulfilled, and the kind of financial reward that would relieve one of much burden.

While compassion might be the desired response, it’s not necessarily the most natural in this instance. Instead, a smack across the back of the head to shake them out of whatever stupor they’re in, that’s preventing them from making wise decisions, seems more appropriate.

As it often goes in life, the fall usually comes after the rise. The athletes are drafted from college (or high school, although the NBA ended that practice in 2006), sign professional play deals worth millions of dollars, and waste no time reveling in materialistic excess, while also becoming the credit cards to an entourage comprised of family, friends and freeloaders, leading to an eventual financial collapse. Although certainly not in every case, I should emphasize.

Lenny Cooke – a once star high school basketball player, considered one of the top athletes in the entire country, and one of the top NBA prospects, while still in his junior year in high school – never quite saw his “rise,” because he was never drafted, and never played a single game in the NBA, which made his “fall” even more saddening.

And it’s his story that’s documented in the rather tragic, no-frills feature documentary from brothers Benny Safdie and Joshua Safdie, titled, aptly and simply enough, “Lenny Cooke.”

Cooke’s story isn’t an entirely unfamiliar one: young black kid from the “hood” with incredible athletic ability, sees a professional sports career as his (and his family’s) ticket out of poverty. Although he never quite makes it, thanks to a series of poor decisions that eventually prove detrimental to that dream.

If there’s empathy to be found here, it’s in the fact that Cooke was really just a kid – although, at 6 ft 6 in and just over 200 pounds, a massive kid; an immature, easily influenced mind in a man’s body. Not necessarily a problematic mix, but when you add notoriety and money (or at least the potential for a lot of it, and very quickly), without much real adult supervision (the kind of tough love that a parent should be able to give to their child for their betterment), the concoction becomes quite potent.

I should note that Cooke never had a father or father figure in his youth.

Oddly enough, Cooke seemed like a relatively well-mannered, grounded kid, but who also realized the unique position he was in as a star athlete with pro-sports and million-dollar contracts in his near future. However, the pressure that comes with being in that position, especially when you come from *nothing* and your family and friends are all looking to you as their lottery tickets, must be quite a burden to carry, and in his case, negatively influenced his decisions. The potential riches that were waiting for him were just simply too alluring to wait too long to finally come into, and so, instead of going to college (he was courted heavily and early by top basketball schools), he opted to, understandably, strike while the iron was hot, and enter the 2002 NBA draft after high school, influenced, in part, by the encouragement of those same family and friends (as well as an agent), and the fact that, the years immediately prior, he’d watched other high schoolers forgo college, enter the draft and become top selections, signing multi-year, guaranteed mega-million-dollar contracts with NBA teams.

LebronLenny.jpg

Cooke’s problem was that, unlike those who went before and after him, directly from high school, he lacked discipline. He seemed to believe that his talent alone was enough, and all the mental and physical training that comes with developing oneself into the type of athlete that would become a top draft pick, was inconsequential to him. So while his contemporaries like LeBron James and Carmelo Anthony were going to bed early to rest, to later get up in the morning and run through a variety of workout drills, Cooke was at a club with his buddies.

And with what he felt was an assured future career as a NBA player (thanks in part to an agent filling his head with unsupported certainties of his desirability as an NBA prospect, as well as his wallet with $350,000 in cash), his high school education became inconsequential to him, and in the end, his arrogance ended up getting the best of him.

He lost a year of high school basketball eligibility, declared his plans to enter the 2002 NBA draft, giving up the opportunity to play in college – a decision he would later admit he regretted deeply – and on what would be a night that held his entire future in its hands, watched player after player be selected on draft day – the first round, and then the second, 29 players in total – and not hear his name called by the end of the evening.

Devastation. Goodbye dreams…

20 years old. A girlfriend and a child to support. And no plan B.

So now what? Playing in the minor leagues, as well as overseas, making a pittance. That continued for another 5 to 6 years.

Cooke would turn 30 in 2012. Footage captured of the party he threw for himself was actually quite disheartening. While still very much the life of the party as he apparently always was, he’d put on quite a lot of weight, and looked decidedly unhealthy – far from the lean, sliced NBA prospect he was 10 years prior. Watching a scene in which he asks his girlfriend (the same girlfriend he’d been with since high school) to bring him a can of soda and some fatty leftovers, in the middle of the night, as he lay back on his sleeper sofa, his belly almost seeming to block his eyeline to the TV that was in front if him, I thought to myself, if the deep regret and sadness he still felt 10 years later didn’t kill him, his unhealthy eating habits just might.

Thankfully, he seemed to still keep himself active by playing a pickup game of basketball every now and then.

Unable to let go of the past, Cooke is now directionless. His girlfriend works 2 or 3 jobs to help keep the family afloat. The film doesn’t make it entirely clear what he’s doing today.

Directors Safdie smartly don’t color the film with unnecessary adornments, because they really don’t need to. They also keep themselves completely out of it, with no running commentary. It’s a straightforward, no frills documentary that does its job. Your appreciation for the film will depend on how interested you are in (and maybe even tolerant of) Cooke’s story and the workings of basketball’s “farming” system (some refer to it as a form of present-day slavery).

Ultimately, a tragic story.

A clever ending scene in which a present-day, mature Cooke addresses a 19 year old stubborn Cooke, face to face, in one of those “letters to my younger self” moments, says it all.

“Lenny Cooke” – the first feature-length documentary by the Safdie brothers – will be available on VOD June 7th, 2016 (now). The film was executive produced by two time NCAA champion and Chicago Bull, Joakim Noah.

Trailer below:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
TheLandPoster.jpg

CHECK OUT THE TRAILER + POSTER FOR STEVEN CAPLE JR.’S SUNDANCE 2016 FEATURE, ‘THE LAND’ – IFC SETS JULY RELEASE DATE

IFC Films has set an opening date of July 29th, 2016 (in theaters and on VOD) for writer/director Steven Caple Jr.’s drama feature “The Land,” which made its World Premiere at the Sundance Film Festival this year.

“The Land” follows 4 teenage boys who devote their summer to pursuing their dreams of becoming professional skateboarders, but when they get caught in the web of the local queenpin, their brotherhood is tested, disrupting their summer plans, and potentially more.

The film’s cast includes Jorge Lendeborg Jr., Moises Arias, Rafi Gavron, Ezri Walker, Erykah Badu, and Michael K. Williams.

“With his film The Land, Steven Caple Jr. continues Sundance Selects and IFC Films’ long history of bringing the best of first time filmmakers to the big screen. ‘The Land’ is an authentic and heartfelt drama and we’re delighted to be working with Steven on his amazingly touching debut feature,” said Jonathan Sehring, president of Sundance Selects/IFC Films, after the acquisition.

Lizzie Friedman, Karen Lauder, Greg Little, Tyler Davidson, Stephen “Dr” Love and Blake Pickens produced the film, which was executive produced by Charles D. King.

Nasir “Nas” Jones curated the film’s soundtrack, and also executive produced the project.

The film’s release trailer (below) and poster (above) are now out:

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
AYITI-MON-AMOUR_04-medium.jpg

IN EMERGING POST-EARTHQUAKE CINEMA OF HAITI, GUETTY FELIN’S STUNNING ‘AYITI MON AMOUR’ SHINES (TRAILER)

In the emerging post-earthquake cinema of Haiti, no voice shines as brightly as Haitian-American filmmaker Guetty Felin. And today, June 1st, Brooklyn audiences will gain a full sneak peek at her new film, “Ayiti Mon Amour,” wherein the writer-director invokes Haiti’s past and present with stories that intertwine and collide. Felin is telling the stories of poignant characters in a poetic and visually stunning array, minus a narrative of sorrow and pity that permeates similar dramas.

In Kabic, a small southeast fishing village outside of Jacmel, we meet four characters trying to make sense out of their existence. There is Orphee, bullied for being different and grieving the loss of his father, who one day discovers he has a special electrifying power gained from the sea – but with great power comes great responsibility; the love story of the old fisherman Juares, caring for his ailing wife Odessa, who has come down with a disease only the sea can cure; the beautiful & mysterious Ama, the main character of an unfinished novel being written by an uninspired writer, who becomes weary and decides to leave the story to live a life of her own. And then, there are the ‘rags,’ the empty clothing, which houses the underwater-animated spirits of the dead.

A magical neorealist tale, “”Ayiti Mon Amour” is a love poem to my native land; a place that I ache for, that haunts me, that frightens and yet angers me, a place that I am fiercely and madly in love with,” says Felin. For the director, “Ayiti” was born out of her desire “to make something out of nothing…the desire to no longer be waiting for approval, for funders, for bankable actors.” She regards her film as inspired by Italian neo-realism director Roberto Rossellini’s “Paisan” (1946), and all about “salvaging love after disaster.”

The film stars Anisia Uzeyman (Alain Gomis’ “Tey” and director of upcoming narrative “Dreamstates”), Joakim Ethan Cohen, Jaures Andris, Pascale Faublas, James Noel, Judith Jeudi.

Presented in conjunction with Haiti Cultural Exchange, BAMcinématek, and the Brooklyn Cinema Collective, “Ayiti Mon Amour” will screen tonight at BAM Rose Cinemas, Wednesday, June 1st at 7:30pm.

The celebrated short film “Papa Machete” (2014), by director Jonathan David Kane and producers Third Horizon, precedes the film. A Q&A with “Ayiti Mon Amour” director Guetty Felin, moderated by filmmaker Easmanie Michel (of the forthcoming “Caroline’s Wedding” adaptation) will follow. Iconoclastic film director Mira Nair (“The Namesake,” “Mississippi Masala”) serves as the executive producer of “Ayiti Mon Amour.”

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
Cronies-Digital-Poster-Updated_1250.jpg

Spike Lee's "Cronies" On Netflix JUNE 27

African-American nerd representation is receiving a lot of love at Sundance 2015. The comedy “Dope” features black geeks obsessed with ‘90s hip-hop culture, “Me, Earle & The Dying Girl” features a youngin’ cinephile obsessed with Werner Herzog and similar foreign auteurs, and “Cronies” features a “cool-ass nerd” protagonist Louis Johnson.

Speaking with a lisp and sporting vintage coke bottle glasses, Louis (George Sample III) is caught between opposing cultures and friends. Having made a commitment to his girlfriend Nikki (Landra Taylor) and daughter Aisha (Samiyah Womack), Louis is trying to man up, stay away from the complications of his St. Louis ghetto and do right by his family. On one side, there’s his white co-worker Andrew (Brian Kowalski) with whom he spends his days “detailing,” Louis’ code for washing cars. On the other, there’s his proudly thuggish, vulgar childhood friend Jack (Zurich Buckner).

Nikki can’t stand the boisterous Jack, who pops by uninvited to their house smoking blunts and slinging weed; he’s clearly a bad influence on the straight-and-narrow direction that Louis wants to go, yet he’s loyal to his childhood friend. Andrew by turns isn’t that much better an influence, but is perhaps more relaxed and easy-going; he just wants to hang out, smoke weed and meet girls.

loyola llothta

☭☭☭
Daps
Reppin
BaBylon
PovertyIncPoster_small.jpg

"Poverty, Inc" (a documentary investigation into the complex global industry of foreign aid) On Netflix NOW

"I see multiple colonial governors," says Ghanaian software entrepreneur Herman Chinery-Hesse of the international development establishment. "We are held captive by the donor community."

The West has made itself the protagonist of development, giving rise to a multibillion dollar poverty industry.

Synopsis:

Poverty, Inc. explores the hidden side of doing good. From disaster relief to TOMs Shoes, from adoptions to agricultural subsidies, Poverty, Inc. follows the butterfly effect of our most well-intentioned efforts and pulls back the curtain on the poverty industrial complex – the multi-billion dollar market of NGOs, multilateral agencies, and for-profit aid contractors. Are we catalyzing development or are we propagating a system in which the poor stay poor while the rich get hipper?

Winner of over 50 international film festival honors, the $100,000 Templeton Freedom Award, and the €5,000 Best Documentary Award from the FIFE Environmental Film Festival in Paris.