Black British Actor says White Performers Should Play Black Roles

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
[Now that this is in the right forum I had to post it again lol]

What?!?!? If this muthafukkin' bozo don't gtfoh:what:

*British actor David Harewood said white actors should be able to portray Black characters.

“We’re at this strange point in the profession where people go: ‘Oh, you can’t play that role because you’re not disabled, or you can’t play that because you’re not really from there.’ The name of the game is acting,” he said in an interview with The Guardian, Deadline reports.

“Yes, we’ve got to be representative, but I do think we have to be careful … That even extends to Othello in blackface. I say, if you want to black up, have at it, man. It’d better be f***ing good, or else you’re gonna get laughed off the stage. But knock yourself out! Anybody should be able to do anything.”

Harewood portrayed CIA agent David Estes in “Homeland.” More recently, he starred as J’onn J’onzz in the CBS series “Supergirl.”

BlackMajik

Behind Enemy Lines
Daps
Reppin
DSGB(Down South Georgia Boy)
@RehReh if u see this clown in London plz give his ass a hard side eye

seriously-seriously-cat.gif

BaggerofTea

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
coudl a white actor pull off an mlk role without appearing the patronize the person?

Last edited:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
I saw this the other day. He ended up walking it back , and they did damage control by reairing an old documentary he did about racism in entertainment.

The trap that he and others walk into, is that they want to audition for and land roles not written specifically for Black men. So they feel they have to publicly say that whites can play roles not written as white characters.