Black Civil Rights Activist: Bruce Springsteen is more black than Jay-Z & Beyonce

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
nah it's not exotic or puzzling to me I know what he was trying to say

but even with Bruce you can say Bruce and his fans are sellouts. to the original 60s movements too.. just cause Bruce sings about the working class doesn't make him more of a hero of the working class in a real sense.. how many of those guys grew up and voted for Reagan

I think you need to check your timeline. Bruce was popular in the late 70's and 80's, with his peak being around 1984 with "Born in the USA". that was the reelection year for Reagan, and some of Reagan's staff wanted to use that song in their campaign. it seems they just heard the course and never bothered to listen to the song. anyway Bruce wasn't having it. but a few years later when Luke sampled that song, Bruce had no problems with that :myman:

No1

Retired.
Supporter
Daps
co-sign

Maybe "BarNone" has spent too much time in his Ivory Tower.

:russ: If you agree then I know I'm on the right side of the argument. Passion + Reason >>> Purely visceral responses. :ufdup: I'd like to believe you're better than that.

i dont think youre giving artists and their potential influence on society enough credit.

and you think im giving them too much.

agree to disagree :manny:

but a quick example, before he passed tupac was actually leading a social movement called "thug life" that was trying to establish a uniform code of conduct for people in the street life. im not saying this is the best example or the only example, im just trying to offer perspective.

again... never confuse "don't" with "can't".

We'll agree to disagree. We both agree that EVERYONE can do more. It's the extent that I think you guys are exaggerating. You think those Jay-Z PSA's really stopped anti-semitism and homophobia in any capacity? :skip: Do you breh.

Broke Wave

The GOAT
Daps
Reppin
Open Society Foundation
Bar None going over board here defending his surrogate father Sean Carter.

To say that a man as rich and influencial as Jay-z can't do more for the black community, as opposed to what he's doing now (essentially nothing), is absolutely laughable. This nikka compared Diddy's "vote or die" gimmick to a man with half a billion dollars contributing in a real way to the communities he came from, which he has utterly failed to do, and presumably will continue to fail to do.

Put the cape down for camel.

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
I think you need to check your timeline. Bruce was popular in the late 70's and 80's, with his peak being around 1984 with "Born in the USA". that was the reelection year for Reagan, and some of Reagan's staff wanted to use that song in their campaign. it seems they just heard the course and never bothered to listen to the song. anyway Bruce wasn't having it. but a few years later when Luke sampled that song, Bruce had no problems with that :myman:

breh I'm talking about his generation and his fans. For example the yellow man killing referenced in the song isn't from the early 80s it's a holdover from a few years earlier. That whole generation grew up and started moving rightward. My point is that just liking working class music doesn't mean you're eventually aligned with the working class

daze23

Siempre Fresco
Daps
breh I'm talking about his generation and his fans. For example the yellow man killing referenced in the song isn't from the early 80s it's a holdover from a few years earlier. That whole generation grew up and started moving rightward. My point is that just liking working class music doesn't mean you're eventually aligned with the working class

I still don't follow. you seem to be oversimplifying the way you see things. the 'counter-culture movement' of the 60's was never representative of that "whole generation". and the whole 'counter-culture movement' didn't turn around and vote for Reagan. and I'm not sure what any of that has to do with Bruce and his fans. a lot of huis fans were probably younger than him, and not part of that generation at all

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
my point is to disassociate the content of the music from its assumed social impact or that of its performers. Hell the other day I saw clueless conservative NYT columnist David Brooks pen an ode to Bruce. He is a mainstay of many demographics that like I said aren't necessarily internalizing or aligned with the struggle he talks about

zerozero

Superstar
Daps
as an aside I did a search on HL for 'c00n' and found these unlikely candidates

Lupe Fiasco
Jay-Z & Beyonce
Barack Obama
Harry Belafonte
Zoe Saldana

:usure: