Black Excellence: Black CEO leaves JC Penney for Lowe's, JC Penny Stock tumbles

Treblemaka

President, BYNKRadio.com (Retired)
Daps
Reppin
Black Empowerment
News reports he's leaving for Lowes and the Penney's Stock price immediately dips
:wow::wow::wow:

Full Article Here

The home improvement retailer announced Tuesday it is naming Ellison president and CEO, effective July 2. Ellison will take over for Robert A. Niblock, who previously announced his intention to retire.

Lowe's, under pressure from activist investor D.E. Shaw & Co, announced in March its CEO was stepping down.

Ellison is chairman and CEO of J.C. Penney, which he has attempted to steer through a turnaround. Prior to J.C. Penney, Ellison worked more than 12 years at Lowe's rival Home Depot, including serving as executive vice president of U.S. stores.

Shares of J.C. Penney were down nearly 3 percent, while shares of Lowe's were up 1.69 percent in early morning trading.

"The turnaround program that Ellison put in place at J.C. Penney has partly delivered but is still far from complete. There is now a question mark over how this plan will proceed and, indeed, whether J.C. Penney will remain on the same trajectory," said Neil Saunders, managing director of GlobalData Retail

"Indeed, exiting before his plan is complete is a tacit admission that he may not be able to deliver what investors are looking for."

A spokesperson for J.C. Penney told CNBC that it was just informed by Ellison a couple days ago of the move, and it was not aware when it last reported earnings. It currently has four executives filling in to run day-to-day decisions and is looking for both internal and external candidates.
The highly leveraged department store has struggled to compete within the quickly evolving retail landscape, as consumers shift their shopping online and away from the mall, where many J.C. Penney stores are located. Last year, it closed more than 100 stores.

Similarly affordable rival, Kohl's, meanwhile, has benefited from a store footprint situated away from malls. It has also taken bets like forging alliances with Amazon and Under Armour.

J.C. Penney also has been squeezed by discounters Walmart and Target, which have improved their clothing selections. Walmart recently forged a relationship with Lord & Taylor as part of its efforts to make its website a destination for apparel. Target, meanwhile, has been focusing on building out its private label apparel brands, including its succesful Cat & Jack children's line.

Under Ellison, J.C. Penney has taken a number of efforts to help steward a turnaround, including a focus on beauty and appliances. In a bid to boost traffic, the retailer has focused on its salon business, hoping hair-dresser loyalty would turn into shopping frequency.

Marvin Ellison
103881243-IMG_4235.600x400.JPG

Him and his wife and family
27908254_10156314068970815_785532941795593339_o.jpg

Dude signed on with Penneys in 2014 for a 4.1m signing bonus, 1.3m annual salary and 3.9m per year in incentivized bonuses. Penneys paid him 10.8m in stock in 2017.

His minimum annual salary at Lowes will be 1.45m

Just thought this might inspire some people.

Last edited:

Nicole0416_718_929_646212

The Prim Reaper
Bushed
WOAT
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NYC and FBA Riverboat Retaliation
This is the same store that placed an Apple executive as CEO from a few years back and redesigned the store like an Apple retailer, lol, consumers hated it, therefore, pushing it further into bankruptcy/closing. Then it took a black man to come in and save it from failing. Now he's leaving and the stock is tanking. Black Excellence. We need more corp. heads like him.

Crude Abolitionist

End Slavery
Supporter
Daps
I was just at JCP the other day. They got a nice Big and Tall section right at the front of the store I can get in and out quick. Staff was friendly. Store was empty though :francis:

Ya?

Banned
Daps
IKE A BOSS: WHY FAMILY VALUES MATTER IN BUSINESS

by Alisa Gumbs
December 11, 2016

Ellison-and-Wife.jpg

Marvin and Sharyn Ellison (Photo: Jesse Hornbuckle)
If there’s one thing that is immediately obvious about Marvin R. Ellison, the Chairman and CEO of JCPenney and the 2016 Black Enterprise Corporate Executive of the Year, from the way he talks about his life and the way others talk about him, is that he is all about family values.

The person who best knows his commitment to family values is his wife, Sharyn. The two met in college after striking up a conversation while studying in the library one night. They dated for five years before tying the knot, and this year, they will celebrate 25 years of marriage.

“He loves family. He loves his kids. He’s the one that tucks them in every night–and they are 20 and almost 15,” Sharyn jokes. “I think he had a great upbringing from his parents. He was mature. Very well-grounded, very humble. He’s very God-fearing; he truthfully believes in God, faith, family, and then work–in that order.”

The importance of family values goes both ways for the couple. Ellison says Sharyn believed in him right from the start, even though he was a small-town boy with big dreams. “People in that little, small community, man, they [would] look at me and listen to some of the things that I was saying I would try to accomplish, and they didn’t support it. They thought I had my head in the clouds. She was the first person I ever met that said, ‘Oh, absolutely; you can do this!’ or, ‘We can do this!’”

He’s also quick to acknowledge not only Sharyn’s support, but her sacrifice. “We moved seven times in the first 12 years of marriage. I’d get another opportunity, and she’d have to quit her job, leave her friends behind, and we’d go to another city,” he says. “Every time those opportunities presented themselves, we’d sit down and have a business discussion. It would never be emotional. It was always, ‘Is it going to help us achieve the dreams and aspirations we have as a family?’ If the answer was ‘yes,’ we’d pray about it, and we’d make the move.”

Without question, I would not have the level of success in business–or in life–without having such a strong spouse with a lot of wisdom, who prays intensely for me on a daily basis and keeps me lifted up,” Ellison says. “Those things matter.”

This story appeared in the September 2016 issue of Black Enterprise magazine

Last edited:

JBoy

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lowe's is in a much stronger position than JC Penny so good for him, he upgraded quuite nicely.

• Dap
Reactions: Ya?

Ya?

Banned
Daps
I posted the article above. The bolded, really spoke to me. This is what being a UNIT means. Having a partner that holds down fort and there is mutual respect. Now, I have delusions that they are perfect and hope no scandal comes about.

But the bolded is what I want to see more of with black young couples. Also, they MET in college.

Much respect for to Mr. Ellison

Mr. Ellisons family, he is with the bass guitar.

ellison-gospel-group.jpg

King Poetic

A.K.A. Duke Illington
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
SeaBed
:mjlol: this is so funny, because a few weeks ago someone posted a thread about him being JC penny CEO and we said it will be a matter of time before he bounces when JC penny falls flat