Black Executives Join Forces, Forming a PAC to Back Them Up

Jammer22

All Star
Daps
Once an informal network, a group of friends and associates is organizing a united political push on issues like education, employment and voting rights.

By Kate Kelly

• Oct. 24, 2017
Dozens of black executives and their spouses joined Senators Cory Booker and Kamala Harris, as well as Eric H. Holder Jr., the former attorney general, for a private dinner in July in Bridgehampton, N.Y. Over kale salad and sea bass on the grounds of a hotel, the executives sought advice about their intermittent fund-raising efforts to address political and social issues, and for the candidates who support those causes.

Ronald Kirk, a former mayor of Dallas and a lawyer who served in the Obama administration, had the bluntest message. “You’re wasting your money,” he recalled saying. “My advice is: Get organized.”

It was a crystallizing moment. Many attendees had long been part of an informal group of friends and associates who raised money for philanthropies or policy issues on an ad hoc basis. At the dinner, they decided it was time to use their wealth and stature in a more formal way.

By early 2018, the group hopes to start a political action committee, creating a new fund-raising model for corporate executives of color. The group would support candidates of any political party who fit the PAC’s agenda.

:jbhmm:

So I was curious about all the recent "Is the 'Don't vote gang' happy now?" threads and the "Vote Democrats!" threads since the mid-terms.

I'm not shaming anyone, but I think there needs to be a different conversation brought up. See, the upper-class of black America is operating on the mercenary lobbyist side of the game. We should too. They could give a damn about party loyalty, as long as they can buy and influence individuals to give them what they want, they are good.

My only problem is that they are behind the curve and have been going at it individually. The Koch brothers started putting money behind the tea-party back in 2010, 1 year after the tea party formed in a response to Obama.

The fact that they just now seeing the Koch brothers can be emulated or that they didn't think to counter the Koch brothers 8-9 years ago bothers me a lot. Hell, they admit they weren't even organized.:snoop:

I think this is an alternative to just voting. Form a PAC and then use them to make our own NGOs that help us.

Jammer22

All Star
Daps
Let me put this out there so folks can decide for themselves what the agenda of the article is. Writer might've written it as less of an informative piece and more of a dog-whistle. Gonna look her up.

Kate Kelly
author-kate-kelly-thumbLarge.jpg

Kate Kelly

Kate Kelly is a reporter for The New York Times covering Wall Street, its influence and inner workings. She is also an experienced television broadcaster and the author of “Street Fighters,” the bestselling account of the bank failure that touched off the financial crisis. Her work touches on banks, hedge funds, market irregularities, crucial players and how financial policy is shaped.

Kate Kelly is a reporter for The New York Times covering Wall Street, its influence and inner workings. She is also an experienced television broadcaster and the author of “Street Fighters,” the bestselling account of the bank failure that touched off the financial crisis. Her work touches on banks, hedge funds, market irregularities, crucial players and how financial policy is shaped.

Ms. Kelly has been covering finance for nearly 20 years, starting at the New York Observer in the late 1990s. She spent a decade at The Wall Street Journal, where her investigative work on the New York Stock Exchange, the Federal Reserve and Bear Stearns won numerous honors, including the 2009 Livingston Award in the national category. At CNBC, where she worked as an on-air reporter for six years, she was recognized for her explanatory journalism on trading and social media.

Jammer22

All Star
Daps
Ya'll might not like what you see in the rest of the article, but like others have said, it's...something.

:francis:

EBK String

Better Ring String
Supporter
Daps
any so called black movement that isnt started from the grass roots level and addresses the needs of the permanent black underclass is bullshyt. Garvey, Malcom and Panthers did that and they were killed or imprisoned because thats the only solution

Savvir

Veteran
Daps
any so called black movement that isnt started from the grass roots level and addresses the needs of the permanent black underclass is bullshyt. Garvey, Malcom and Panthers did that and they were killed or imprisoned because thats the only solution
Even if it was a grass roots level movement, the opposition would label it as not... and help push the narrative that it isn't truly service the black communities real needs....

sp why don't you wait until you have more information before you put out incendiary rhetoric that can be used itself to help undermine a movement whether authentic or not.

chiefdogg

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yep as the above poster stated It's about time. Oh and check the comments and the backlash. I like how this one person responded to the backlash. "Why? Jewish people do it. Asian people do it. Itallian, Irish and Polish people do it too. It's only a problem when Black people get together and try and do something for themselves. Are Black people supposed to depend on the kindness of strangers? That hasn't worked out so well. "

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
Brehs may not want to hear or admit this...

But we will never fully succeed as a whole because we’re not supposed to, now. We came as far as we will go, now. Malcolm and Martin couldn’t do anything more but give us knowledge of self and stand on the frontlines for where we are now. God knows, we’re in denial. Think beyond this present earth for true success. Stay on the straight and narrow, spiritually. Don’t believe me? Watch.