Black Literature not rooted in black tropes (such as.. Slavery, Jim Crow, Modern Day Microagressions)

earthwalka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston
Noticing a severe lack of varied writings from black authors. There is a lack of black male authors as well. You look at some of the top books by black authors, it's mostly female writers and the ones who are male are often times writing queer stories as well. So who do we have from past to present writing fiction (or nonfiction) that isn't strictly rooted in the typical tropes we see. Most of the books I've seen written today and even in the past have to do with "the Black Experience" but are there any black authors just writing about the human experience? This is not to say that we don't have great books being written today by black authors but I just think we've been pigeon held into telling only certain types of stories.

Where are our black postmodernists?

Where are our Haurki Murakami's, our Fyodor Dostoevsky's, Thomas Pynchon's, Don DeLillo's, David Foster Wallace, Cormac McCarthy, Gaddis, etc

Latin American writers have a rich history of post modernism. Roberto Bolaño, Jose Saramago, Julio Cortazar. shyt Miguel Cervantes, the founder

Japanese writers like Sayaka Murata, Natsuo Kirino and Ryu Murakami

Such varied literature that has its roots in their prospective cultures but is solely unique in its story telling, backdrops, and messaging.

Octavia Butler is one of our great writers. Her books are incredible. I've also heard great things about NK Jemisin and Marlon James. but who else do we have? Who else am I missing? Are there black authors not just telling black stories? put me on.

We have some postmodern filmmakers working today at least. Donald Glover with Atlanta, Terrence Nance, Boots Riley with Sorry To Bother You (truly one of our great modern works that doesn't just capture the black experience in relation to capitalism, but America in general.)

The Phoenix

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Evan Winter - "The Burning" series. African Fantasy

41952489.jpg
43174603._SY475_.jpg

So far he has released 2 books of a planned 4. The next one is supposed to drop in 2023. They are really really good. I highly recommend them.

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
There's not a lack of varied Black authors. Big publishing will get behind authors catering to what sells, the same way Big media gets behind rappers catering to what sells. No difference.

Lot of great books being put out by University Presses, and independents. Across different genres and covering different topics.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
I'm sure there are literary journals with Black authors submissions.

Asicz

Presume the unpredictable
Daps
I'm not the most well read dude but I'm sure the statement "there's a lack of Black male authors" is false.

Last edited:

earthwalka

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Houston
How are actual things that happened to black people "tropes"?

My brother you are a by product of the self hate machine that America has put its black citizens through
I hear you, what I meant is that the story beats, background, and themes are far too common and have been explored through every angle there is. It's time for new stories to be told.