Black Man Makes Over $5 Million Selling Independent Comics. Here's the Catch...(UPDATE: Sued for Trademark Infringement)

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
Already made this a thread in the Film Room, but I wanted to see what TLR thinks of this. :jbhmm:

Btw, this is not the Black Sands breh. They did have some beef a while back tho. :mjlol:

Disclaimer: I am not a fan or supporter of Eric July, but I'm genuinely curious to see what folks opinions are. I'll try to be fair to him for now:

Eric July is a Black Libertarian YouTuber (under the name "YoungRippa59") and BlazeTV contributor (founded by Glenn Beck) who created a comic series called Isom, and has plans for a series of titles under the moniker of "The Rippaverse". He also is a rap-metal/metalcore artist who is the front man of the group BackWordz and was formerly the frontman of Fire From the Gods. His YouTube content consists mostly of anti-woke reactions to current comic storylines from Marvel and DC Comics, as well as superhero/comic-based films from the MCU and the DCEU and political commentary.

He isn't any more notable than most YouTube conservative commentators, except that his crowdfunding campaign for Isom #1 exceeded $3.8 million in contributions, and his current campaign for Isom #2 Is at ~$1.4 million*. This, admittedly, is a remarkable success for a creator's first published comic(s).

Personally, I think dude is corny and a hardcore c00n in the mold of Sheriff David Clarke, Colion Noir, and Candace Owens. His comic is mid at best, and the dialogue is terrible (everyone--even the women--sound like Eric July, and no Black person speaks authentically).

He wouldn't warrant much of a discussion except for the boatload of cash he made from grifting his followers, appearing on Fox News and BlazeTV, and successfully marketing himself as the alternative to the "woke" trends of Marvel/DC.

Thoughts?

*-As reported by Eric July. He ran both crowdfunding campaigns on his own website rather than commonly used platforms like Kickstarter or Indiegogo, so there's no real way to check his numbers.

↓R↑LYB

I trained Sheng Long and Shonuff
Daps
Reppin
Pawgistan
That's impossible for you tell that many comics. The Coli told me the black feminists and divestors on Twitter won't allow black men to do anything

Luke Cage

Coffee Lover
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Harlem
just cause you found a lane to make money doesn't mean you not a c00n though and through.
Some people have a hard time recognizing this. some even elected to ignore it. being successful is all that matter to many when it comes to be deserving of respect. thats why you still have a bunch of people on here defending Kanye

High Art

👑King of The Salon👑
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself and my own.
That's impossible for you tell that many comics. The Coli told me the black feminists and divestors on Twitter won't allow black men to do anything
It helps when you run in these circles:
FUrUztAWYAIfstA.jpg:large

Worked for Clarence Thomas too. Maybe c00nin' has it's advantages.... :jbhmm:

:comeon:

get these nets

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Above the fray.
He's openly grifting.
In modern politics, and society, people are defining themselves by what they oppose rather than what they believe & stand for.
I get when public figures do it, it's a way of branding yourself.
Clown shyt.

Never heard of this guy before. Doubt that he has any talent that separates him from any other writer/illustrator. He realized that a while ago, and that he'd starve if he had to rely on his creative ability. Just another grifter and ventriloquist dummy for white people.

Dwayne_Taylor

Superstar
Daps
Dude is charging $35.00 for a trade approximately 90 pages . I don't think people are paying that because they like his comic, they just like his politics and want to "stick it" to mainstream comics with a protest buy.

I've never heard anyone talking about the writing art or characters.

Last edited: