Black Music Month Challenge Day 23: A song you remember the 1st time you heard it.

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
June is known as Black Music Month and I thought it would be fun to make a thread each day using this template to discuss different Black music related to the challenges here.

Yesterday's thread is here if want to participate:

Today's Challenge: You still remember the first time you heard this song

I remember the very first time I saw this video on BET as an 8th grader. My love for B2K was born

:noah:

jensyao

Collector
Daps
Reppin
Schooling people takes forever; don't bother
the grindin beat on tables, doors, vending machine panels, anything that made sound...i had the DJ Whoo Kid mixtape version where adlibs were crazy and NORE was talking about how max payne and GTA are good games at the end

i think everyone was outside listening to the radio when destiny's child broke out with this song

Last edited:

dora_da_destroyer

Master Baker
Daps
Reppin
Oakland
was staying at my auntie's house for a couple weeks that summer and remember this debuting

was on a work trip for my first internship, took my rental to pick up dinner and this dropped :banderas:

just gotten back from my BFF's family reunion and was in the car from the airport, this song was so wack to me the first time i heard it, but then....the rest is history

FluffyEyes

Mrs. Boss Lady
Daps
just gotten back from my BFF's family reunion and was in the car from the airport, this song was so wack to me the first time i heard it, but then....the rest is history

I remember first seeing this video and I almost immediately recorded the video(yes on VHS) and preceded to learn lyrics I had no business learning :lolbron:

jensyao

Collector
Daps
Reppin
Schooling people takes forever; don't bother

ludacris songs had some good memories
only recently found out there was an extra 4th verse on the remix like jay's big pimpin via @bringitback80

i didn't even know Bangladesh even made this beat - this was before i was checking for producers

idk which video game started the big head mode cheat code to influence this luda video but GTA had that shyt

referencing playstation 2 up in the ride

Piff Perkins

Veteran
Daps

My parents had the classic "black parent record/tape/etc" audio set up, in the glass case. At the bottom were a handful of vinyl records, which I never saw them pull out; they mainly used the cassette and later the CD player. It was a pretty standard collection of records (What's Going On, Thriller, etc) with a couple random curveballs (Synchronicity). One of the standard records was bytches Brew. I remember seeing the cover and being blown away. Especially by the back of the record.
tumblr_pac4z9ViDk1utcrwuo1_1280.jpg

I couldn't wait to hear this shyt, but the record player was old and my parents must have had it from ages ago and never used it to my knowledge. So I'd just stare at the cover every now and then, imaging what the album sounded like. Later I heard Miles Davis via Kind Of Blue, and wondered...is this was bytches Brew sounds like?

I didn't hear the album until middle school when I went to the library music section and they had it. I was so excited. The library guy showed me how to start a record, I put the headphones on and pressed play. And immediately thought what the fukk is this shyt.
:mjlol: :dead:

Later in HS I got more and more into jazz and finally in college I bought the record for myself to listen again. Still thought it was weird as fukk. But after awhile it just clicked.

Ghost Utmost

The Soul of the Internet
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the Aether
I remember waking up on the couch to the video for "Cool Like Dat".

It was very surreal. I was amazed by everything about it.

Pop123

Peace
Daps
Reppin
NULL

Was in the crib drunk, like 16, I hit everybody in my 2way actin giddy and goofy

Was leaving a local little annual summer party joint and my cousin let me hear it in his walkman, I never heard anything like it before, ran it back at least 20 times.

First time I seen a naked girl, my brother was tearin somethin up and I walked in on them, I was like 8 or sumn.

Amo Husserl

All Star
Daps

My parents had the classic "black parent record/tape/etc" audio set up, in the glass case. At the bottom were a handful of vinyl records, which I never saw them pull out; they mainly used the cassette and later the CD player. It was a pretty standard collection of records (What's Going On, Thriller, etc) with a couple random curveballs (Synchronicity). One of the standard records was bytches Brew. I remember seeing the cover and being blown away. Especially by the back of the record.
tumblr_pac4z9ViDk1utcrwuo1_1280.jpg

I couldn't wait to hear this shyt, but the record player was old and my parents must have had it from ages ago and never used it to my knowledge. So I'd just stare at the cover every now and then, imaging what the album sounded like. Later I heard Miles Davis via Kind Of Blue, and wondered...is this was bytches Brew sounds like?

I didn't hear the album until middle school when I went to the library music section and they had it. I was so excited. The library guy showed me how to start a record, I put the headphones on and pressed play. And immediately thought what the fukk is this shyt.
:mjlol: :dead:

Later in HS I got more and more into jazz and finally in college I bought the record for myself to listen again. Still thought it was weird as fukk. But after awhile it just clicked.

Got into this my senior year when I started listening to late Trane. Someday My Prince Will Come was my entry point, couldn't have been more polarizing.

DTXwavey_02

All Star
Daps
Reppin
Dallas

Was at my friends house sometime in the late 2000s and his parents had mtv on in they room. This was the first mj song I ever heard and I was in awe of this nikkas fit and dance moves:whoo: