Black People in STEM

Tair

Superstar
Daps
Let's start out with 1 of 6 of the first physicists in America to graduate with a PhD from an American university, Dr. Edward Bouchet.

220px-Edward_A._Bouchet.jpg

"In 1876 Edward Alexander Bouchet made history by becoming the first African American PhD physicist, and the sixth person of any race to receive a PhD in physics from an American university. Bouchet went on to educate and inspire others as a science teacher at a school for black students.

Edward Bouchet was born in September 1852, in New Haven, Connecticut. His father, a freed slave, worked as an unskilled laborer, like many black men in the town. His mother was a housewife, and he had three older sisters. The Bouchet family was active with their local church and the local abolitionist movement, and encouraged all the children to get an education.

The local public schools were segregated, so in elementary school Edward Bouchet attended the Artisan Street Colored School, which had 30 students of all grade levels, and one teacher. In 1868 he gained admittance to Hopkins Grammar School, a prestigious private preparatory school that sent its graduates to Yale College. At Hopkins Grammar School he received a classical education, studying Latin and Greek as well as geometry, algebra and history. Bouchet graduated first in his class in 1870.

He entered Yale in the fall of that year. Bouchet was not the first black student to enter Yale, but he was the first to graduate. He lived at home during his time at Yale, and was clearly devoted to his studies. In June 1874, he graduated sixth in a class of 124 students. He was the first black person to be nominated to Phi Beta Kappa.

As a talented young black man interested in science, Bouchet had come to the attention of Alfred Cope, a philanthropist in Philadelphia who was on the board of managers for the Institute for Colored Youth. The ICY was one of the few places in the city where black students could get an academic high school education. Cope wanted to build up the science program there, and hoped to bring Bouchet onto the staff.

But before recruiting him as a teacher, Cope encouraged Bouchet to continue his studies, and paid for his graduate education at Yale. Edward Bouchet spent two more years there, completing further studies in chemistry, mineralogy, and physics. His primary professor was Arthur Wright, who in 1861 had become the first person to earn a doctorate in physics from an American university. Bouchet’s original research focused on geometrical optics, and he wrote a dissertation entitled “On Measuring Refractive Indices.” Just two years after completing undergraduate studies, Bouchet became the first black person to earn a PhD in physics.

A white person with Bouchet’s credentials would have been able to obtain a university position, but even with his impressive accomplishments, not many career options were open to him as an African American. So in the fall of 1876 Bouchet went to teach at the Institute for Colored Youth, as Cope had wanted.

At ICY, Bouchet headed the school’s new science program. In addition to physics and chemistry, Bouchet taught classes in astronomy, physical geography, and physiology. An advocate for improving science education, Bouchet repeatedly asked the school’s board of managers to provide laboratory space for students to perform individual experiments. In addition to his regular teaching, Bouchet gave lectures on various scientific topics for students and staff, and even reached out to the wider community by giving public lectures on science.

Bouchet taught at the ICY for 26 years. However, by around 1900, many black young people were being pushed into vocational and technical training, rather than academic education. Even black leaders, including Booker T. Washington, advocated for this approach, arguing that this type of education was what suited black people best. Bouchet’s accomplishments clearly showed that black people were capable of academic and scientific pursuits, but in 1902 the ICY managers decided that the school would give up academic subjects and shift its focus to industrial education. Bouchet lost his job.

Bouchet spent the next several years in several different teaching positions around the country. In 1916, Bouchet returned home to New Haven in poor health, and died in 1918 at age 66. He was survived by his mother, who died two years later at age 102.

As a black man in a segregated society, Bouchet surely faced many challenges, but he didn’t leave behind many letters or notebooks, so we know little today about his thoughts on his career or his daily life. A friend of his wrote in an obituary that Bouchet was “a man of keen sensibilities and unusual refinement. He was a prolific reader and was greatly interested in the history of his own people and of his native town.”

Bouchet never married or had children. He was a member of the Franklin Institute and the American Academy of Political and Social Science and was active in the NAACP.
Over his career in teaching, Bouchet had educated many black youth in science, but black people were still excluded from most scientific education and careers for many years. It was not until 1918, the year Bouchet died, and 42 years after he received his PhD, that Elmer Imes became the second African American to receive a PhD in physics."

Source: June 1876: Edward Bouchet becomes the first African American PhD in physics.

Tair

Superstar
Daps
@YaThreadFloppedB!

:mjcry:

NEXT brilliant Black scientist:

Dr. Hadiya Nicole-Green (Physicist)

She is young and is currently coming up with innovative techniques to cure cancer. She was awarded a million dollar grant for her work.

Dr.-Green-693x675.jpeg

"Nicole Green was in kindergarten, she started helping one of her older brothers with his fourth-grade homework. She and her siblings lived in Saint Louis, Missouri, with their aunt and uncle, who raised them after their mother and grandparents died. “As a child, there were no scientists in my life. I didn’t dream of being a scientist, let alone a physicist. I didn’t have that example,” Green tells The Scientist. “But I loved learning . . . and that gave me the foundation that I needed.”

For college, Green chose to attend Alabama A&M University, where a graduate student persuaded her to study physics. In the summers, she interned at the University of Rochester and then at NASA, where she helped calibrate lasers for the International Space Station. After graduating in 2003 with a perfect 4.0 GPA, she planned to work on improving fiber optics. But a series of family tragedies changed her career trajectory.

First, the aunt who’d raised her announced she had female reproductive cancer and would forgo treatment. “She said that she would rather die than experience the side effects of chemotherapy or radiation,” Green explains. “I was her primary caregiver the last three months of her life, and I watched her go from this powerful matriarch in our family to being someone who couldn’t walk, speak, or stand on her own.” Her aunt died in 2005, and three months later, her uncle was diagnosed with esophageal cancer. Later, he was also diagnosed with prostate cancer. The long-term side effects of treatment contributed to his death in 2013.

Her aunt’s death and uncle’s illness led Green to decide to use her knowledge of lasers to develop a cancer treatment that wouldn’t have side effects. She proposed the idea to Sergey Mirov, a physicist at the University of Alabama at Birmingham who agreed to accept her as a graduate student. In Mirov’s lab, Green worked on a cancer therapy in which gold nanoparticles are injected into tumors. When lasers are directed at the nanoparticles, the particles start to vibrate and warm up, destroying the tumor cells with heat. Because the treatment is delivered locally, it does not affect the surrounding healthy cells.

In 2011, Green and her colleagues showed that these nanoparticles could be attached to tumor-specific antibodies in cell culture, work that earned her a PhD in physics a year later. She is the 76th African American woman to receive a physics PhD from an American university, she says; the African American Women in Physics website keeps a database of the recipients. After graduation, Green joined Tuskegee University as an assistant professor and continued studying lasers and cancer, showing that mice with a form of skin cancer had nearly 100 percent tumor regression when treated using her gold nanoparticle method.

Using lasers to destroy tumor cells “is an extremely clever approach, very innovative, yet straightforward,” says James Lillard, an immunobiologist and associate dean for research at Morehouse School of Medicine. He recruited Green in 2016, and she launched the Ora Lee Smith Cancer Research Foundation, a nonprofit named for her aunt, to raise money to test her laser technique in human clinical trials. That same year, she received a $1.1 million grant from the Veterans Affairs Historically Black Colleges and Universities Research Scientist Training Program. Landing that grant “is huge for somebody just beginning their career,” says Adeboye Adejare, a neurodegeneration researcher at the University of the Sciences in Philadelphia who mentored Green and helped her apply for the award.

The award is a testament to the promise of Green’s laser treatment, which “obviously has a lot of applications,” Lillard says. “I imagine it having an impact initially in head and neck cancers, colorectal cancers, and anal cancers that often can be difficult to treat.”

Source: Hadiyah-Nicole Green Targets Cancer With Lasers

Her website: Dr. Hadiyah-Nicole Green | Ora Lee Smith Cancer Research Foundation

Last edited:

Bunchy Carter

I'll Take The Money Over The Honey
Daps
Reppin
Triple O.G. Bunchy Carter
I appreciate the info and rep.

As a person who majored in STEM and I have be working in the STEM field for 13 years, I like seeing information like this.

I see the other Black Americans who laid the foundation for myself and other Black people.

Last edited:

Tair

Superstar
Daps
Props because I haven't heard of any of these individuals. Thank you

There's more, breh.

This one is sad because of what happened to her, but also inspirational because she is a Black scientist. Her story needs to be known.

Dr. Reva K. Williams (Physicist)

She was the first theoretical astrophysicist to figure out how to use the Penrose mechanism to extract energy from a Blackhole that explained how quasars are powered.

cGc

"I earned my PhD in astrophysics from Indiana University Bloomington, in December 1991, becoming USA's first Black female theoretical astrophysicist. But, more important, I am the first person to successfully work out the Penrose mechanism to extract energy from the ergosphere of a rotating black hole using Einstein's Theory of General and Special Relativity (R. K. Williams 1995, Physical Review D, 51, No. 10, 5387-5427; see also articles below). This work shows that Kerr (rotating) black holes are capable of providing the energy of quasars and other active galactic nuclei."

Source: More About Me | Dr Reva Kay Williams

Her research was undermined by another physicist, Dr. Kip Thorne

Keynote Speaker (time-stamped)

Last edited:

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps

This guy was my college advisor one semester. At one point, I was thinking of switching from Computer Engineering to Electrical Engineering, because I noticed when looking for internships, a lot more jobs, at the time, seemed available for EE. He was adamant I don't do that and assured me I would be better served sticking with my current degree. He was right.

But I did piss him off one time when I missed a scheduled advising appointment. Sent me a sternly written email response about how important it was to be respectful of people's time. :mjcry: Made me feel like a kid. I deserved it because I slept in and literally forgot :mjlol: and it was disrespectful on my part not to at least give him a heads up.

I remember I would also see him around town always driving some old timey cars, which I guess was his hobby to fix up, with his wife (he married a sista :salute: ).

Tair

Superstar
Daps

This guy was my college advisor one semester. At one point, I was thinking of switching from Computer Engineering to Electrical Engineering, because I noticed when looking for internships, a lot more jobs, at the time, seemed available for EE. He was adamant I don't do that and assured me I would be better served sticking with my current degree. He was right.

But I did piss him off one time when I missed a scheduled advising appointment. Sent me a sternly written email response about how important it was to be respectful of people's time. :mjcry: Made me feel like a kid. I deserved it because I slept in and literally forgot :mjlol: and it was disrespectful on my part not to at least give him a heads up.

I remember I would also see him around town always driving some old timey cars, which I guess was his hobby to fix up, with his wife (he married a sista :salute: ).

Thank you for sharing your story with Dr. Mark Dean, breh.

:myman:

Deflatedhoopdreams

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Rucker

:salute:

Tair

Superstar
Daps
Dr. Emmett Chappelle (Biochemist/Astrobiologist)

He created the ATP fluorescent assay to detect life on other planets (and life in general by making cells glow) by studying the planet's soil.

ckxyMjhNPQ

Emmett Chappelle was born in October 1925 in Phoenix, Arizona when it was still a small agricultural city; (consider: Arizona before widespread air conditioning). Not a stranger to segregation, Chappelle attended primary school in an all-black 1-room schoolhouse, then high school at an all-black Phoenix public school, where he was top of his class when he graduated in 1942. He was then drafted to serve in the segregated 92nd Infantry Division and was wounded twice during the Italian Campaign.

After the war, Chappelle attended Phoenix College and received an Associate’s Degree in electrical engineering, and then University of California Berkeley (funded by the GI Bill), where he received a Bachelor’s of Science in biology in 1950. He taught biochemistry at Meharry Medical College for several years, during which he began research into iron recycling by red blood cells and anaphylactic shock. These studies got him noticed by the biochemical community, and he received several offers from prominent schools to complete his graduate studies. Chappelle completed his Master’s Degree at the University of Washington in 1954, and he worked towards a Ph.D. at Stanford University for 4 years, until he left to accept a research position at the Research Institute for Advanced Studies in Maryland.

During his master’s and Ph.D. studies, Chappelle made several important contributions to our understanding of proteins and their building-blocks, amino acids, including how humans convert one amino acid into another. But it was at the Research Institute for Advanced Studies and later positions where he made his most influential discoveries and inventions. Chappelle began his work at the Research Institute of Advanced Studies in 1958, just one year after the launch of the Soviet Satellite Sputnik and the height of the Space Race, when federal funds were pouring into Aerospace research and development for the American space program. Chappelle’s research focused ensuring safe, breathable air for astronauts, and he found that launching plants into space with astronauts can minimize a spacecraft’s risk of poisoning its astronauts with carbon monoxide.

EmmettChappelle_2-300x237.jpg

In 1963, Chappelle was hired by Hazleton Laboratories in Virginia, which held contracts with NASA. There, he studied how we could detect life on other planets like Mars by studying extraterrestrial soils for microbial life. To do this, Chappelle invented an important assay that scientists still use today – the ATP fluorescent assay. This laboratory tool uses detects living cells using the same proteins that fireflies make to glow, and it continues to be used by researchers around the world.

Here’s how Chappelle’s test for extraterrestrial life works: to be bioluminescent (life that creates its own light) fireflies make two chemicals, luciferin and luciferase, named after the root word Lucifer- which means “bringer of light”. When combined, these chemicals will produce light as long as there is also Adenosine triphosphate (ATP) present. ATP is a chemical that acts as the currency for all living organisms and provides chemical energy for reactions like bioluminescence within a cell. If the cell is alive, ATP will be present and would glow in this assay. Chappelle tested for living cells in terrestrial soils by adding luciferin and luciferase to samples and measuring how much light was produced. If there was life, the cells glowed.

EmmettChappelle_3-300x230.jpg

Chappelle invented a test for microbial life using firefly enzymes that make living cells glow.

Chappelle did not discover life on Mars since no Martian soil has ever been brought back to Earth to test, but his assay is still used here on Earth to detect and study microbial life. In 1966, Chappelle was hired by NASA to work at the Goddard Space Flight Center, where he continued his research into the applications of fluorescence and bioluminescence. The uses he found for his fluorescent tests were incredibly varied; he developed way to measure crop stress in agricultural fields using lasers, and medicinal tests to detect bacterial infections in blood and urine.

Emmett Chappelle’s contributions to science are far-reaching, advancing fields including biomedical science, astrobiology, remote sensing and genetics. In 1994, Chappelle was awarded NASA’s Exceptional Scientific Achievement Medal. When he retired from NASA in 2001, Chappelle held 14 patents, mostly relating to fluorescence tests, and in 2007 he was inducted into the National Inventor’s Hall of Fame for his work on fluorescence in organisms. Chappelle passed away 4 months ago in October 2019 at the age of 93. Chappelle’s legacy lives on in the huge variety and specificity of today’s fluorescent assays, most of which still use firefly luciferin and luciferase. These include fluorescent tags that will bind to DNA and glow only when a certain gene is present, and fluorescent cancer cells that allow medical researchers to better “see” cancer in mice.

EmmettChappelle_4-300x169.jpg

Source: Black History Month Series 2020: Emmett Chappelle – Broader Impacts Group

Last edited:

Tair

Superstar
Daps
Dr. David Blackwell (Mathematician)

He developed the Blackwell renewal theorem, and he and another famous Indian-American mathematician, C.R. Rao, developed the Rao-Blackwell theorem in statistics that improve the efficiency of random variables that are observed.

blackwell.png

The article is pretty long but a good read nonetheless.

Article about Dr. David Blackwell's life: