Black Politics in Post-Ferguson St. Louis Just Took A Massive L :snoop:

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
This article explains it perfectly, but let me break it down:

-St. Louis City just held primary elections for the Democratic candidate for the mayoral election. Mayor Francis Slay said he wasn't running for another term (he's been STL's longest serving mayor in history). He endorsed Alderwoman Lyda Krewson, a white Alderwoman (her ward covered most of the upper-class parts of St. Louis City, like Central West End and DeBalivere).

-Her primary opponent was Tishaura Jones, the current city treasurer, and would have been the first black female mayor in the city's history. She's highly qualified, bold, and upfront about the racial divide in St. Louis politics, and she was heavily favored to win.

She's also :whew::noah::

tj.jpg

-She lost to Krewson by 888 votes. Seriously, here's the breakdown, but notice something fishy:

Jeffrey L. Boyd - 1,429 votes (2.7%)
Antonio French - 8,4601 votes (5.8%)

William (Bill) Haas - 257 votes (0.5%)
Tishaura O. Jones - 16,222 votes (30.4%)
Lyda Krewson - 17,110 votes (32.0%)
Jimmie Matthews - 145 votes (0.3%)
Lewis Reed - 9,775 votes(18.3%)

-The candidates in red are all black men who didn't have a chance at winning. The most promising of them was Antonio French, who became the most outspoken politician during the Ferguson protests.

-Seriously. 60% of voters who actually showed up to the polls were black :snoop:, and they couldn't get behind one HIGHLY QUALIFIED candidate :snoop:.

-Had these fools not split the vote, she would have won by a landslide at ~57.2% of the vote :why:.

Last edited:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Gaithersburg, MD via Queens/LI
St. Louis voters, or should I say, 28% of St. Louis voters, went to the polls to select primary candidates for Mayor and a few other municipal slots.

There are 196,150 registered voters in St. Louis, but only 55,635 turned out. It makes Jones’ 888-loss margin all the more disturbing.

:gucci:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
“I’m going to be honest: The men decided to stay in this race because of their ego. And where are we now? We still have the status quo candidate that’s going to be in that office for the next four years,” Jones said in an interview with the Post-Dispatch after the election.

“I’m really disappointed that the ego, patriarchy and sexism won the day yesterday,” Jones told The Root. “When all the black candidates met before filing closed, only the black women decided to work together and support each other. When will we come together for the common good? Even if all the men in the race got together and decided to go with one male candidate, we would have had a much different outcome.”

:wow:

tru_m.a.c

IC veteran
Staff member
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
That’s why 96 percent of black women rallied behind Hillary Clinton while 14 percent of black men voted for Donald Trump. That’s why the mostly male members of the Congressional Black Caucus could support white candidate Chris Van Hollen over a black woman, Donna Edwards, for the Senate from Maryland (one of the safest seats in the nation) and say nothing when Van Hollen won and hired no black staffers despite once representing a district that is 30 percent African American. Politically, black men are in the Sunken Place.

:whoo: :bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback::bustback:

Black Panther

Long Live The King
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Wakanda
There are programs all over the country we can learn from and that we can adopt. I know this because I’ve traveled to see them. I know that galls your writer who wrote that I am “high-flying” and should be grounded. I suspect she meant that I was “uppity” or had a “bad attitude,” but didn’t have the honesty (or courage) to be that overt.

:whoo:

hashmander

Hale End
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
The Arsenal
This article explains it perfectly, but let me break it down:

-St. Louis City just held primary elections for the Democratic candidate for the mayoral election. Mayor Francis Slay said he wasn't running for another term (he's been STL's longest serving mayor in history). He endorsed Alderwoman Lyda Krewson, a white Alderwoman (her ward covered most of the upper-class parts of St. Louis City, like Central West End and DeBalivere).

-Her primary opponent was Tishaura Jones, the current city treasurer, and would have been the first black female mayor in the city's history. She's highly qualified, bold, and upfront about the racial divide in St. Louis politics, and she was heavily favored to win.

She's also :whew::noah::

tj.jpg

-She lost to Krewson by 888 votes. Seriously, here's the breakdown, but notice something fishy:

-The candidates in red are all black men who didn't have a chance at winning. The most promising of them was Antonio French, who became the most outspoken politician during the Ferguson protests.

-Seriously. 60% of voters who actually showed up to the polls were black :snoop:, and they couldn't get behind one HIGHLY QUALIFIED candidate :snoop:.

-Had these fools not split the vote, she would have won by a landslide at ~57.2% of the vote :why:.
they were on some crab in the barrel shyt. sometimes you just have to fall back and coalesce behind one candidate and black folks didn't and now they got nothing.

just like any green party members who might try to fool themselves into thinking trump isn't so bad for the green agenda and voting for a candidate that can't win sure beats picking the less worse candidate.

Anerdyblackguy

Gotta learn how to kill a nikka from the inside
Supporter
Daps
Those black men should be ashamed of themselves for this.

And i thought the Wire was bad. Sheesh.

Dr. Acula

ACCEPT JESUS
Supporter
Daps
Everyone wants to be a chief but no one wants to be the Indian.

Unfortunate this happened :francis: