Black San Diego security guard released after spending a year in Tijuana jail for accidentally driving to Mexico with a gun

JadeB

la force de l'avenir
Daps

Rodney Dantzler 28, stands next to his mother, Jacqueline Anderson, while speaking during a news conference Wednesday in San Diego after spending nearly a year in a Tijuana jail. Members of the San Diego Original Black Panther Party, Henry Lee Wallace V, left, and Yusef Miller, stand in support. (Ana Ramirez/The San Diego Union-Tribune)

Rodney Kevin Dantzler returned home Tuesday to the U.S., where a Mexican judge has allowed him to complete his sentence on parole

A La Mesa security guard, who said he mistakenly crossed into Mexico with his registered gun, returned home Tuesday after being held for a year in a Tijuana prison.

Rodney Kevin Dantzler was sentenced to three years and eight months on a gun charge, according to Mexican officials. During a hearing this week, a judge allowed him to complete his time on parole at home, as long as he reports monthly to the court.

“I’m really happy to be home,” Dantzler said Wednesday during a news conference outside the Mountain View Park Community Center in San Diego. He was joined by his mother, Jacqueline Anderson, and his 7-year-old son, as well as members of the San Diego Original Black Panther Party.

On Tuesday morning, Henry Lee Wallace of the Black Panthers shared photos on social media of Dantzler hugging his mother and others as soon as he returned to the U.S. from the PedEast border crossing. “I was very excited,” Dantzler said. “Overwhelmed.”

In March 2023, while driving south on Interstate 5 on his way to visit a friend, Dantzler said he missed the last exit in the U.S. and crossed accidentally with a registered gun into Mexico. Upon entering he was stopped by Mexican officials, and he informed them of the situation.

Dantzler, 28, said he thought they would check his documents and allow him to turn back to San Diego. But that wasn’t the case. Instead he was arrested and sent to a Tijuana prison.

Possession of firearms is illegal in Mexico. A sign warns drivers of this on the freeway before the last U.S. exit.

Dantzler, who acknowledged he was unaware of the Mexican laws, recalled how in that moment it went “from regular day to kind of hell in a matter of minutes.”

“I thought I was coming home in the first three days,” he said. “I was kind of torn when it didn’t happen.”

The Black Panther group became involved as soon as they heard about the case. The group helped by providing security across the border to Anderson as she went to advocate for her son, as well as advice and support throughout the entire process, said Yusef Miller with the San Diego chapter.

Miller said he was disappointed with the lack of involvement from elected officials in the case. He said the group reached out to both U.S. and Mexican consulates. “This is heavy for a mother,” he said. “Not knowing when her child is coming back, a totally different system.”

Anderson on Wednesday thanked everyone who supported her. Last year she started a GoFundMe to raise money for legal expenses. She said many people reached out and shared their stories and similar situations with her.

Amari Dantzler, 7, holds this father’s hand at the news conference.

(Ana Ramirez/The San Diego Union-Tribune)

“He made an honest mistake,” she said.

Dantlzer said he didn’t hold any resentment.

“No, not at all,” he said when asked. “They are doing their job at the end of the day and I’m in their home, that’s where they work at, and I understand it by being a security guard. I know you got to do your job.”

Gritsngravy

Superstar
Daps
it’s kinda crazy how judicial systems don’t take account on errors

Like a harmless mistake really got him sentenced to three years because of something flucky ,

I would be mad as hell

Daps
it’s kinda crazy how judicial systems don’t take account on errors

Like a harmless mistake really got him sentenced to three years because of something flucky ,

I would be mad as hell
Judicial system is licking its chops and salivating when a black man makes a mistake.

tuckgod

The high exalted
Bushed
Daps
Always carry cash earmarked to pay off the Federalis just in case

Hearing a whistle still makes my ptsd flair up a little bit

east

Screwed up... till tha casket drops!!
Daps
Reppin
The Bronx ➡️ New England
This happens here too. Each state has its own gun laws, You might have ya cc in one state and drive to a neighboring state with no reciprocity and get jammed up. You might live in a state with permitless carry and go to one which requires a permit.
same deal with flying even though it's nominally protected by federal law, every airport respects FOPA/LEOSA except the three that serve nyc. if you can't afford a paid lawyer to fight the illegal charge or are famous enough to be made an example of, it's a four piece in rikers for you.