Lithe

All Star
Daps
Ladies, I saw this on Facebook a week or so ago and started laughing at how realistic it is.

What do y'all think?

vqp9vm.jpg

Lana del Rey

Only the ocean can separate us....
Daps
Reppin
Atl
When my hair was relaxed/permed I would be in the hair salon the whole day (only because there was only one hairdresser and she had a lot of clients). Now that I'm natural I learned to do my hair myself so I no longer go to hair salons.

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
The only hairstyle that takes that long are box braids, or maybe marley twist. Braiding my hair usually takes me like an hour. I usually wear protective styles. Every woman of every race knows what it's like to wait a long time in the hair salon.

Last edited:

Lithe

All Star
Daps
My mom did hair for 22 years, so I only went to the salon two times in my life. Once for a color because she wasn't comfortable using bleach, and I think the other time was for a press. They burned my hair off so she never took me back. She relaxed my hair for me, and before that it was pressed with a hot comb and sometimes curled with the marcel.

I guess I just wish I knew more about my natural hair and how to shorten the process. It doesn't always take all day, and I don't let my hair run my life, but I have found it taking much more time than I think is necessary!

I went natural after having my head shaved for an emergency craniotomy (brain surgery) and when it was first growing back and in TWA, it was so quick and easy to wash and style, an hour max.

It takes me so long today because of how thick it is and I want to make sure I've properly washed it all! Then depending on what I'm doing (mini twists took me 5 hours) it's a toss up to how long I'll be occupied.

This is a blessing, all the radiation in a short amount of time in conjunction with the medications I was under could've easily ensured my hair did not grow back. I'm grateful but I can't deny I do spend a great amount of time in washing/styling my hair.

Any ideas/suggestions of how to shorten the process? What are y'all's go to hairstyles? I stick to twists for a week, then twist out.

agnosticlady

AL loves da kids : )
Daps
My mom did hair for 22 years, so I only went to the salon two times in my life. Once for a color because she wasn't comfortable using bleach, and I think the other time was for a press. They burned my hair off so she never took me back. She relaxed my hair for me, and before that it was pressed with a hot comb and sometimes curled with the marcel.

I guess I just wish I knew more about my natural hair and how to shorten the process. It doesn't always take all day, and I don't let my hair run my life, but I have found it taking much more time than I think is necessary!

I went natural after having my head shaved for an emergency craniotomy (brain surgery)
and when it was first growing back and in TWA, it was so quick and easy to wash and style, an hour max.

It takes me so long today because of how thick it is and I want to make sure I've properly washed it all! Then depending on what I'm doing (mini twists took me 5 hours) it's a toss up to how long I'll be occupied.

This is a blessing, all the radiation in a short amount of time in conjunction with the medications I was under could've easily ensured my hair did not grow back. I'm grateful but I can't deny I do spend a great amount of time in washing/styling my hair.

Any ideas/suggestions of how to shorten the process? What are y'all's go to hairstyles? I stick to twists for a week, then twist out.

Wow...congrats on making it through that....

Have you considered simple styles? I rarely do twist's or twist out's because it takes me around two hours. Also I hate touching my hair too much. I plan to do two strand twist again when I lock my hair this summer. You should try low maintenance hair styles. My family friend has sickle cell and the medication is making her lose some hair so she does simple easy style that do not take too much time or do a lot to her hair. I usually do french braid, a bun, or cornrow my hair into a style. I never flat iron my hair and sometimes I wear wigs if I do not want to bother my hair for that week.

I do this style a lot...Plus after a week of wearing it for some reason it stretches and straightens my hair

maxresdefault.jpg

enhanced-buzz-6177-1380562649-38.jpg

f07d1a2ab3f130303e772e89453472f4.jpg

You can also try simple corn row hair styles
I do this a lot. I used to use Marley twist for the front, but now my real hair does the job
Sides-Wept-Cornrows.jpg

Rusty Kuntz

It be ya own peoples, huh?
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Myself. fukk 12(1)!
I generally wear my hair in a bun.

5-10 minutes tops LOL

I like simple hairstyles, so other than the times my sister braids my hair, none of my styles take longer than an hour.

If I want a twist/braid/bantu knot out, I wash, condition and braid/bantu/twist my hair the night before, then sit under a hooded dryer for about 30 minutes. The next morning I take them out.

My hair holds styles really well, so a bantu knot out will last 4-5 days for me.