Blackballed Players

NatiboyB

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
So I was having a conversation with my homeboy and I was telling him that A cat named J.R. Rider was blackballed from the league a few years ago along with Mahmoud Abdul-Rauf (Chris Jackson) and that the latest players are A.I. who is the most popular and Latrell Sprewell.

So with that being said are there any other athletes that you can think of who have been blackballed? or am I just wrong and these guy's weren't black balled.

I know about Riders cell phone incident. Remember if a dude caught a case where he was locked up 2-3 years that's not a blackball.

jwinfield

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Regarding Sprewell, you can't be blackballed if you're rejecting contract offers.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nba/insi...mns/story?columnist=sheridan_chris&id=2386732

"I have no idea what's driving Latrell. I can't figure it out, and he doesn't articulate what he's thinking," said Robert Gist, Sprewell's longtime agent.

The Mavericks called about two weeks ago when they were dealing with a flurry of injuries.

"He said he would call back the next day. He never did. So we dropped the idea," Mavs owner Mark Cuban said via e-mail.

The Spurs also put in a call to Gist's office about a month ago, though nothing came of it.

"These teams recognize Latrell's value, and they've gone to their top players to ask them whether Spree would be a good fit," Gist said.

3Rivers

thaKEAF aint never lied
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Steel City
Craig Hodges

When the Chicago Bulls visited the White House after winning the 1992 NBA Championship, Hodges dressed in a dashiki and delivered a hand-written letter addressed to then President George H. W. Bush, expressing his discontent at the administration's treatment of the poor and minorities.[15]

Hodges also criticized his Bulls teammate Michael Jordan for not using his fame to draw attention to social and political issues, and said Jordan was "bailing out" for not being politically outspoken.[16]

In 1996, Hodges filed a $40 million lawsuit against the NBA and its then 29 teams, claiming they blackballed him for his association with Louis Farrakhan and criticism of "African-American professional athletes who failed to use their considerable wealth and influence to assist the poor and disenfranchised."[12] After he was waived by the Bulls in 1992, he did not receive an offer or a tryout from a single NBA team, even though he was only 32 years old and still able to contribute to contenders. The lawsuit claimed that Bulls assistant coach Jim Cleamons told him that the team was troubled by his criticism of players' lack of involvement in inner-city communities.[15] The suit also claimed Billy McKinney, the director of player personnel for the Seattle SuperSonics initially showed interest in Hodges in 1992, and then shortly after backed away, telling Hodges he could do nothing because "brothers have families, if you know what I mean." While a Bulls official said Hodges was waived as he was getting old and could not play defense, head coach Phil Jackson said, "I also found it strange that not a single team called to inquire about him. Usually, I get at least one call about a player we've decided not to sign. And yes, he couldn't play much defense, but a lot of guys in the league can't, but not many can shoot from his range, either."

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Yeah, Spree wasn't blackballed.

A.I. definitely was.

Rodman was blackballed later in his career.

I don't think Rodman was but A.I. for sure.

But then again I don't feel sorry for A.I. You can't go around disrespecting coaches thinking the next COACH will come calling ESPECIALLY if your skills are deteriorating. No GM is gonna put their coach in that position. When he was atop of his game as a to 5-10 player in the league, sure you'd take the risk. But the minute your abilities deteriorate if you think you're gonna keep mouthing off then most coaches would rather deal with less skilled players who won't give them no lip 24/7.

See T.O.

3Rivers

thaKEAF aint never lied
Staff member
Daps
Reppin
Steel City
speak on this bruh. I never heard about this one. I just remember him being older

added a wikipedia section to my original post. Also here's an article from espn from 2008

Granderson: Trying to define Craig Hodges - ESPN Page 2

Expert (adj): having special knowledge of or skill in a subject

If you scan the stats of the Los Angeles Lakers, you will find six players who are currently hitting 3-pointers at a clip several percentage points higher than their career averages.

Part of this has to do with the maturation of Andrew Bynum and the sudden need to double him on the blocks, thus freeing L.A.'s shooters.

But a lot of credit should be given to the team's resident expert, assistant coach Craig Hodges.

Despite winning two titles and three consecutive 3-point contests with the Bulls, Craig Hodges was out of the NBA for 13 years.
Only two players have ever won three consecutive 3-point shooting contests during NBA All Star weekend -- Larry Bird and Hodges. A two-time regular-season 3-point champ, Hodges' chance for a fourth straight All-Star victory was derailed when the Chicago Bulls cut him after the 1992 season and he wasn't signed by another team. Actually, he wasn't even invited to camp for any of the remaining 26 teams, either. Barely 32 and still peppered with confetti from the championship parade, Hodges not only was out of the league as a player but also was unable to find any NBA job until Phil Jackson hired him as a shooting coach in 2005.

"I went from making $600,000 a year to making nothing," Hodges said. "No one would take my calls, no one would give me a chance. I went from helping a team win it all, to all of a sudden not being good enough to play for the worst team in the league.

"Do I think the league had it out for me? You tell me."

Blackball (v): to exclude from membership by casting a negative vote

Hodges' story goes a little like this: He buddied up with the Nation of Islam's Louis Farrakhan, challenged black athletes -- including teammate Michael Jordan -- to do more in their community, and showed up at the White House in 1992 wearing a dashiki. While there, he handed the first President Bush a letter urging him to address what Hodges called the injustices inflicted on the black community.

A short time later, Hodges was cut.

"I was outspoken, but I wasn't disrespectful," he says. "I was never in trouble for drugs, or guns or raping women or anything like that. I just wanted to help my community, and that made me a troublemaker.

"What I did at the White House embarrassed the league, and it made a lot of people uncomfortable, and they did something about it."

Conspiracy (n): a secret agreement between two or more people to perform an unlawful act

Commissioner David Stern has always denied any plot against Hodges after the incident. In fact, he said he was there with the Bulls at the White House that day and told Hodges he liked his attire.

Besides, at the time, Hodges was an undersized shooting guard who couldn't stop a mannequin from getting to the rim. In his final year in the league, he missed 26 games because of injuries and was playing less than 10 minutes a game.

However, when he was on the court he was still hitting 37.5 percent of his 3s. More importantly, he had an intimate knowledge of Chicago's famed triangle offense -- the kind of knowledge that could have helped opposing teams defend it.

"I played for Tex Winter for four years at Long Beach State," Hodges said. "I knew the triangle offense better than Phil Jackson. People want to say my skills were declining. That's debatable. But you can't say my knowledge of the game couldn't help teams win games. And nobody could shoot like me.

"Nobody."

After failing to get a single team interested in him, an angry and desperate Hodges sued the league and its owners in 1996 for blackballing him for his "black militant" views.

He lost, of course.

It's difficult to prove a league that was 80 percent black at the time was being run by a bunch of racist whites.

Still, it is curious that a player who's a career 40 percent 3-point shooter, who just hit 45 percent of his 3s in the playoffs en route to helping his team win a championship, and who never had a technical foul called on him in 10 years, couldn't get at least a tryout invite from a single NBA team. Not a Dallas squad that finished the 1992-93 season with 11 wins and three guards who shot less than 20 percent from 3? Or how about a 25-win Sacramento roster that included 5-foot-11, 153-pound Stan Kimbrough, who played a grand total of 65 minutes in his two-year NBA career? Hodges wasn't good enough to compete against that?

Hodges, pictured at far right, joined the Lakers coaching staff in 2005.
Supposedly Billy McKinney, who was a VP for the Pistons at the time, was the only person to reach out to Hodges about playing after the Bulls cut him. But that offer was quickly retracted, with McKinney being widely reported as telling Hodges, "Brothers have families, if you know what I mean."

McKinney, a onetime Clippers teammate of Hodges, denies making that statement.

"I never heard of a leaguewide conspiracy to keep Craig out," says McKinney, who is now a broadcaster with the Timberwolves. "I've been there as a player myself. Jobs are scarce, and you are desperately trying to hang on. It didn't make sense for me to bring him in for a tryout because I knew there wasn't a snowball's chance in hell he'd make the team.

"I'm not sure why the other teams didn't bring him in … you'd have to ask them."

Irony (n): apparent perversity of an event or circumstance in reversing human intentions.

Hodges' story is full of it.

Irony, that is.

Like how the coach who cut him from the Bulls -- and essentially out of the league -- was the one to welcome him back.

Or how prominent members of the very community he sacrificed his career to help were unwilling to help him get that career back.

And I'm not just talking NBA types.

"I asked Jesse Jackson to help me and he wouldn't," Hodges said. "I asked Johnnie Cochran to represent me and he wouldn't. I don't want to talk bad about the dead but … he represented O.J., but he wouldn't help me.

"That's messed up."

Yeah, it is.

Which leads to the question of …

Regret (n): feeling or sorrow or repentance, etc., over an action or loss, etc.

As in "Craig Hodges has no … "

"I was able to play 10 years in the league and I won championships," he said. "So no sour grapes on my part.

"But at the same time, I'm disappointed because I did what I felt I needed to do to help my community, and it cost my grandchildren millions of dollars. It cost my community millions of dollars because I wasn't able to invest that money and give back."

Unsung hero (n): see Craig Hodges.

I also remember Hodges competing in 1993 Three Point Shootout despite not being on an NBA roster

Last edited by a moderator:

tremonthustler1

aka bx_representer
Daps
Reppin
Uptown and the Bronx
Yeah, Spree wasn't blackballed.

A.I. definitely was.

Rodman was blackballed later in his career.

Rodman wasn't blackballed. He would get interest from teams, but his alcoholism turned teams off.

A.I. wasn't blackballed. Even attention whores like Jim Dolan considered signing him, and if he wanted to go after, what was gonna stop him? Nothing ever stopped him from doing something stupid before.

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
AI wasn't blackballed he wore out his welcome being bullheaded. Hodges def was blackballed with a capital BLACK. I also feel that Kareem was kinda blackballed because of his beliefs and aloof demeanor. He never was part of the "in" crowd. He spoke out against Black injustices with Jim Brown,Ali and Bill Russell.

Canseco and Bonds too.

Mic-Nificent

I didn't eat nobody
Daps
Reppin
NULL
AI wasn't blackballed he wore out his welcome being bullheaded. Hodges def was blackballed with a capital BLACK. I also feel that Kareem was kinda blackballed because of his beliefs and aloof demeanor. He never was part of the "in" crowd. He spoke out against Black injustices with Jim Brown,Ali and Bill Russell.

Canseco and Bonds too.

Is Kareem under appreciated? sadly Yes

Blackballed? Hell no

Jesus Is Lord

Give Thanks, Repent, and Forgive
Daps
Reppin
Christ
Kareem played until he was 42.

Talking about since he retired. He hasnt been offered any HC positions and barely and assistant positions. This man has sooooich to give to these players but the NBA doesn't seem to want to use him. He speaks about this I his book. Interesting read breh.