Blaxit: Tired of Racism, Black Americans Try Life in Africa

The Half-Blood FKA Prince

Shroom gummies, liquor and destiny
Daps

Jes’ka Washington lives in a six-bedroom house on a hill with avocado trees and a spectacular view, not far from the rabbit farm she runs. For less than $50,000, Shoshana Kirya-Ziraba and her husband built a four-bedroom, two-bathroom house on family farmland with goats, turkeys and about 1,000 chickens. Mark and Marlene Bradley now call themselves islanders and the owners of three homes cooled by ocean breezes.

All of them are Black Americans who found their new homes in Africa. They are enjoying the substantially lower cost of living and, more important, they said, the absence of the racism and discrimination they experienced in the United States.

The COVID-19 pandemic and the racial reckoning in the wake of the murder of George Floyd led some Black Americans to seek a different way of life abroad. It’s a movement that some are calling Blaxit.

Those moving to Africa are also looking for an ancestral connection. Their migration is less about money and more about acceptance, a path that many intellectuals and artists have taken before.

Today, a new life in Africa is open to people of varied professions who can work remotely. Immigration has been fueled by vocal proponents on social media and by government programs like Sierra Leone’s path to citizenship and Ghana’s Beyond the Return campaign. According to the Diaspora Affairs Office of Ghana, at least 1,500 African Americans moved to the country between 2019 and 2023. Despite the potential concerns for newcomers — including a wave of extreme anti-LGBTQ policies across the continent — Black Americans are still making the trip.

Washington, 46, of Houston, relocated to Rwanda in 2020. Kirya-Ziraba, 40, moved to Uganda from Texas in 2021. The Bradleys, who are in their 60s, settled in Zanzibar in 2022.

Ashley Cleveland, 39, a mother of two who runs a company that helps foreigners invest in and grow their businesses in Africa, relocated from Atlanta to Dar es Salaam, Tanzania, in 2020 and is now based in South Africa. She said she appreciates that in much of Africa, race is “an abstract concept.”

“Seeing Black African people on the money, on the billboards, you immediately eliminate your Blackness,” she said. She welcomed this change for her children, who were 9 and 2 when they left the United States. Her older daughter, whose skin tone is deep brown, was no longer “bullied because of her complexion.”
Six bedrooms huh? :ehh:

Wonder if they would be interested in renting one out for the low, on the low while a breh stack his chips up :patrice:

im tired asf of this place fr :wow:

COLI MANDINGO

All Star
Daps
Reppin
The Chi
The solution for Black Americans is to control state governments politically.

When I said this a while back you tried to shyt on the idea.
I don’t understand this. So the idea is that black ppl will have more political power…so then the government will do something for them?

Ppl go where there’s money and jobs. Louisiana, Mississippi, Alabama are some of the poorest states. I don’t see the benefit in everyone moving to the south especially if there’s no work, plan, training, JOBS

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
Africa aint easy.
Massive land mass, 1000s of languages and cultures..so pick carefully where youre likely to be comfortable.
Avoid the Islamic nations if you can help it.
Also, the post colonial civil wars that used to dominate the news in the 70's, 80's and 90s have all quited down as people settle down and learn to co-exist.
My advice to Black Americans thinking about it, go for it but do your research. To be on the safe side, make contact and keep up relations even if you return to the US or are not ready yet.
Learn the local national language, that's the only trick. Everything else falls into place after that.

Buckeye Fever

YOU WILL ALL HAIL TO THE VICTORS!
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Hip-Hop Since '79
never experienced racism so bad it made me wanna leave the country…

my interactions with non-black folks is minimal tho…:yeshrug:
Same here. I'm amost 45 yrs old and can say that I don't have the complaints/bad experiences others have had in the U.S.

Black Hans

Follow Jesus. Be Beautiful
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
John 14:6
One star for :mjpls: thread posting. Sounds like something that racist teacher on Everybody Hates Chris would post. :mjpls:

3rdWorld

Veteran
Daps
I'd rather help to kill racism than to run from it. Good luck to them folks doe. Hopefully they will be armed whenever Russia tries to invade our homeland. Then I'll be willing to go to our homeland with no hesitation.

That's commendable and to be respected.

I wish Black people were like 99.9% of some state in order to have self determination.

Aro

Pro
Daps
That's commendable and to be respected.

I wish Black people were like 99.9% of some state in order to have self determination.
This is the issue that those that dismiss Pan-Africanism as “tether babble” fail to address.