Bored, Broke, and Armed: interview with Chicago gang members to find out how so many have died

YouMadd?

Chakra Daddy
Bushed
Daps
Reppin
California
:usure:its square nikkas everywhere, chance the rapper type squares:russ:

nikkas be getting into this shyt by choice, they chose to frontline & make themselves a target...

Everybody is gang affiliated to a certain degree based on where u live at but you don't have to frontline, post up on the block, hang around them nikkas, do shootings, bang on social media etc.

All those activities are by choice..
Chance had a father and a mother in his life? Married two parent home?

rabbitfood

Ancillary Character
Daps
I never realized how bad certain things were in my part of the city until I left in 2011 and came back to visit my family in Englewood around this time last year.

Mom is too stubborn and comfortable to bounce but my siblings aren't.

• Dap
Reactions: Meh

GoldCoastSaint

Yall nikkas hate everything but Tariq Nasheed
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
:usure:its square nikkas everywhere, chance the rapper type squares:russ:

nikkas be getting into this shyt by choice, they chose to frontline & make themselves a target...

Everybody is gang affiliated to a certain degree based on where u live at but you don't have to frontline, post up on the block, hang around them nikkas, do shootings, bang on social media etc.

All those activities are by choice..

You couldn't be from Chicago.

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
I posted in HL, a few days back,

I liked this article, not that it highlighted anything I didn't know, but I appreciate the journalism, and the in depth reporting. I think it underscores how difficult it is to "solve" or reduce the violence, because so few truly understand what drives it, at a surface or base level, and there is nothing simple or easy about it. And those in power, even more so, with new admin, have a complete and total disconnect from so many of the citizens of their own cities, cultural, economic, racial, etc.

Also, as it relates to rap, in a way, one interviewed basically showcased how he wore, and strived to wear Balmain jeans and Versace, but was really broke, and looking for a job, which wasn't really a solution either, as the wages are too low, how poverty limits your transportation and up front costs. How the drug trade there is so difficult, due to many factors, but mostly the Mexicans stranglehold on the distribution, and the chaotic reality for the gang members.

I do think the title is a little inflammatory, and betrays a pretty layered piece. A title like that can easily become ammunition for the Newt Gingrich's and Bill OReillys of the world.

Read this today too: http://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...o-spot-region&region=top-news&WT.nav=top-news

Last edited:

@OffHalsted

The 100s LochNess
Daps
Reppin
You couldn't be from Chicago.

:martin:Englewood & 100s born & raised... live & lived on the roughest blocks..

69th & throop, 72nd aberdeen, 109th & perry, 103rd princeton.....Just name a few..

:what:I bleed Chicago the real Chicago:sas1:not suburbs, not up north or cac areas:mjpls:

I when I chose the streets I did, When I wanted to stop I did:hubie:Its about accountability for 1s self & stop making excuses..

MalikX

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
Worldwide Entertainment
Meanwhile someone like Chief Keef could have built 2 factories in the community to make his own brand of shoes while employing the community and having State wide support. But this is the difference between the educated and non. The "Build a plan, execute" and "We don't know what to do". Lost souls make a lost community, they keep waiting for a saviour but none of them are even thinking of being one. And the ones that can be, leave with the quickness because they know they are around lost souls not worth saving. Sad situation all around. Then they will turn around and be upset at the immigrants who run a business, but they had the 'stack' to do just that a month ago but blew it all on materialistic bullshyt like a fendi belt, lean, jordans and a night of fun to flex on IG. Meanwhile the immigrant business owner is wearing sweats to the shop and saving up to possibly have 2 or 3 more stores.

There's no saving them. All you gonna end up with is nikkas envying you and trying to rob or kill you. Get money. Get out. Get your close family out. fukk everybody else. Had to get out my city which was very hard for me because I loved the area but there was nothing good there for me. It's basically a little Chicago. So many nikkas I grew up with are dead, shot to death. And half of them weren't into drugs or gangs (there's no real gangs here). They were just in the wrong place wrong time or had an argument with the wrong person and BAM. Good guys. Good men. Guys I knew and went to school with. All dead. Not me. I'm gone. fukk all y'all :hubie:

Turk

Young, Gifted, and Black
Daps
Reppin
Southside
Meanwhile someone like Chief Keef could have built 2 factories in the community to make his own brand of shoes while employing the community and having State wide support. But this is the difference between the educated and non. The "Build a plan, execute" and "We don't know what to do". Lost souls make a lost community, they keep waiting for a saviour but none of them are even thinking of being one. And the ones that can be, leave with the quickness because they know they are around lost souls not worth saving. Sad situation all around. Then they will turn around and be upset at the immigrants who run a business, but they had the 'stack' to do just that a month ago but blew it all on materialistic bullshyt like a fendi belt, lean, jordans and a night of fun to flex on IG. Meanwhile the immigrant business owner is wearing sweats to the shop and saving up to possibly have 2 or 3 more stores.

This post is absurd. You really expect a 21 year old gangbanger and high school dropout to have this mentality or train of thought? There are square nikkas who wouldn't even think like this :dahell:

ATearInMyEye

#KnicksTape
Daps
Reppin
Def Valley
The blame game doesn't resolve, blaming is not a solution. We know who's fault it is, but I don't really care, that's past, now gears need to be in motion by the people (outside entities won't do shyt) to fix it.
but youre playing the blame game :patrice:

GoldCoastSaint

Yall nikkas hate everything but Tariq Nasheed
Daps
Reppin
Chicago, Illinois, United States of America
:martin:Englewood & 100s born & raised... live & lived on the roughest blocks..

69th & throop, 72nd aberdeen, 109th & perry, 103rd princeton.....Just name a few..

:what:I bleed Chicago the real Chicago:sas1:not suburbs, not up north or cac areas:mjpls:

I when I chose the streets I did, When I wanted to stop I did:hubie:Its about accountability for 1s self & stop making excuses..

So you know how it is and still think everyone can make it out of that type of shyt. Do you understand how many have tried? You know how many fukked up, dumb and young parents are raising these knuckleheads? Chicago is the absolute wrong city to be broke and underskilled in. Just because you made it is not a reason to blame kids for situations they were born into. Not too many could thrive in environmentd like these