Brake and Rotor Kit question

JerkPork

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
I purchased a kit for my 200, it includes front and rear brake and rotors. Because i didn't have the correct sockets i ended up just doing the front brakes (not rotors) about 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday i got the correct sockets and completed the install, following the instructions to brake them in...

A lot of scrapping noise coming from my front brakes and I'm assuming it's because the front brakes already mated to my old rotors (which began to wear away because of my old brake pads) and they just need time to mate with the new rotors, am i right? I've already done about 40 miles on them since install.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I purchased a kit for my 200, it includes front and rear brake and rotors. Because i didn't have the correct sockets i ended up just doing the front brakes (not rotors) about 2 weeks ago.

Yesterday i got the correct sockets and completed the install, following the instructions to brake them in...

A lot of scrapping noise coming from my front brakes and I'm assuming it's because the front brakes already mated to my old rotors (which began to wear away because of my old brake pads) and they just need time to mate with the new rotors, am i right? I've already done about 40 miles on them since install.
What?!?! :dahell:

When you replace brake rotors, you want to replace the brake pads with new ones. You do not want to keep the old brake pads. You throw those away. If you kept your old brake pads, you are going to wear in grooves into your new rotors. You do not want that.
Replace the brake pads as soon as possible since it is still early. Then, break in your new brake pads as in the instructions.

JerkPork

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
What?!?! :dahell:

When you replace brake rotors, you want to replace the brake pads with new ones. You do not want to keep the old brake pads. You throw those away. If you kept your old brake pads, you are going to wear in grooves into your new rotors. You do not want that.
Replace the brake pads as soon as possible since it is still early. Then, break in your new brake pads as in the instructions.
I had the new front pads on the old rotors because I didn't have the socket at the time to take the rotors... It was getting late in the day and I was losing daylight so I just did the front brake pads as it was already metal on metal.

I know I messed up. So my question was, will my pads, installed 2 weeks before, take a bit longer to mate with my new rotors, installed yesterday

JerkPork

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Did u put grease on the back of the pads
I did. Now that i look at the new rotors i have a visual indicator on how its breaking in...can see where they're wearing, it fades from black to gray. Back is fading evenly. The front's they're fading the inner and outer part of the rotors fast than middle. :snoop:

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
I had the new front pads on the old rotors because I didn't have the socket at the time to take the rotors... It was getting late in the day and I was losing daylight so I just did the front brake pads as it was already metal on metal.

I know I messed up. So my question was, will my pads, installed 2 weeks before, take a bit longer to mate with my new rotors, installed yesterday
If your new pads are still smooth, then you shouldn't have any issues. You shouldn't have any scrapping sounds while applying the brakes.
Make sure the metal tabs that are the brake pad wear indicators aren't rubbing against the rotors. Those are there to tell you when the pads are getting worn out. You don't want that to rub against the rotors. They are too thin to dig into the rotors, but will cause an irritating squeal all the time.
If you have a scrapping noise, check to make sure your brake calipers are locked down.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

If your new pads are still smooth, then you shouldn't have any issues. You shouldn't have any scrapping sounds while applying the brakes.
Make sure the metal tabs that are the brake pad wear indicators aren't rubbing against the rotors. Those are there to tell you when the pads are getting worn out. You don't want that to rub against the rotors. They are too thin to dig into the rotors, but will cause an irritating squeal all the time.
If you have a scrapping noise, check to make sure your brake calipers are locked down.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA

JerkPork

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Did u put grease on the back of the pads

I hear them more when I'mdriving rather than braking, like someone sharpening knives...yea I guess I'll go back under and make sure my calipers are moving

JerkPork

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
:ohhh:what if my wheels need to be tightened some more. It is kinda wobbling too nowthat I think about it

JerkPork

All Star
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
ATL
Figured it out...bent the brake dust shield behind the rotors while positioning it to get to the screws. So the rotors were moving against the shield... Thanks for the clues brehs.

unit321

Hong Kong Phooey
Daps
Reppin
USA
Figured it out...bent the brake dust shield behind the rotors while positioning it to get to the screws. So the rotors were moving against the shield... Thanks for the clues brehs.
That's good. Shield rubbing against the rotor is minor. Good thing it wasn't anything major.