Brehs: Buy the 20 dollars clippers and cut your own hair?

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Yo, it will save you alot of money in the long run if you see that hair thinning real bad and got that horse shoe calling.

Buy the 20 dollar clippers, a bottle of rubbing alcohol and some moisturizer and keep it low, real low.
I've been cutting my own hair my entire life. I've only been to the Barbershop a dozen or so time in my lifetime. I even use my hair clippers to shave my facial hair. I've NEVER EVER used a razor & shaving creme to shave EVER, not even once.

Why nikkas that cut their own hair NEVER post pics :patrice:
:yeshrug: What's to show? I cut my shyt bald (or technically "real low" like @OneTimeforTheMind said).

Primetime21

This my city
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Lemongrass, cherries, alkaline water
:lupe: I want to do my own hair but I'm mortified at fukking up my hairline. I'm also tired of paying and tipping the barber though.

I always get a caesar when I go to the shop. Yeah,I'm boring like that. What do I need to do my own shyt? How hard is it to do your own tape?

If you trying to be economical all you need is an adjustable lever clipper to do fades/taper like the Oster Fast Feeds, they run for less than $60 on amazon, and a pair of outliners. It will take a few tries to really get your taper down but literally everything you need to know about cutting your own hair is on youtube

satam55

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
DFW Metroplex
Andis T-outliners
Wahl
I'll buy the clippers

But I like going to the barbershop
The atmosphere is masculine

Thats a 20 dollar WEEKLY trip.

Unless you get those Lieutenant Surge skint cuts with no line up and go once a month.

Before I started shaving bald, that 20 a week shyt had me like :damn: 80-100 a month down the drain was not the move.

52 weeks in a year and i havent been to a barbershop in 10 yrs. 520 weeks * 20 bucks = 10.4k saved.
:ohhh: nikkas really go to the Barbershop every week? I usually wait at least a month between I give myself a haircut.

I at least tell dudes learn how to line yourself up so you can cut back to 1-2 barber trips a month assuming you rock your hair dark.

Can someone post a YouTube video or something of how to line yourself up?

Apollo Creed

Look at your face
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Handsome Boyz Ent
:ohhh: nikkas really go to the Barbershop every week? I usually wait at least a month between I give myself a haircut.

Just look up some of those wavers like 360jeezy. They do a ton of tutorial vids. Youtube wasnt around when i started so it was basic trail and error for me.

YaBoy

All Star
Daps
Reppin
NULL
I've been cutting my own hair for about 5 years. I use that Oster Fast Feed & Wahl Detailer off amazon. Saves so much time & money

I dont have no setup but ive been cutting my shyt for the past 2 years.

A mohawk is hard and doing the back will be hard. So will fading but get yo ass a mirror.

The hardest part is knowing when enough is enough. You'll think shyt is 99% then fukk it up tryna hit 100%
The bolded is real as fukk
Your shyt will be almost perfect then you'll fukk it all up tryna curve the edge just right.
The first few times I tried, i pushed my neck line up because I kept trying to correct the mistake, instead of living with it. You get to a point where you gotta decide if a crooked hairline or a pushed back hairline is worse

Chrishaune

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
Huntsville
How to properly shave the back of your neck?

Either get the wife to do it......or just cut it low and edge the sides of the back up, because it will be hard to edge the complete back of your head. End up with a lopsided edge on the back that everybody else can see but you.

I cut my hair low and edge the sides of the back so it looks like I edged it up all the way. People asking who cuts my hair :mjpls: "me breh".....Been doing it over 10 years.

The only way I can see you being able to do the back yourself is if you have a camera setup to be able to see the screen in front of your face with the camera aiming to the back of your head. Still will be a little awkward trying to edge the back just right.

Golayitdown

Veteran
Daps

Depends on your hair. I was on the once every 2 weeks since childhood. Then when my hairline/hair starting looking :patrice::what::flabbynsick: I went to weekly. I didn't ever want to rock the Kobe so I started shaving.

Last edited:

EndDomination

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I go to the barber every three weeks to a month :mjlol:
I don't have the finances to go weekly :francis:
I was thinking about getting a Bevel Trimmer and a Wahl Peanut clipper and working on dark caesars with small tapers, but haven't taken the plunge yet. :patrice:

Gold

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
I think every breh who went to college had to cut their own hair at some point.
With some mirrors, a good edger, and some patience you can do a decent cut that will tide you over till your next barber visit if you wanna save some cash.

But don't ever believe that what you do in 10-15 minutes in front of your bathroom mirror can ever compare to what a trained professional does for his/her living.