Busta rhymes recalls dmx's heated reaction to jay-z's 'why we die' verse

LevelUp

🧞🪔 𝙏𝙝𝙚 𝙂𝙚𝙣𝙞𝙚 𝙤𝙛 𝙩𝙝𝙚 𝙇𝙖𝙢𝙥 🧞🪔
Daps
busta-rhymes-recalls-dmx-heated-reaction-to-jay-z-why-we-die-verse-1200x675.jpg

“ Busta Rhymes has recalled that DMX had a heavy reaction to JAY-Z’s verse on their classic cut “Why We Die.”

Appearing on Shopping For Sneakers with Kick Game, Busta detailed how X wanted to improve his verse after hearing that Hov was going to be on the track.

“My man Eric Nicks brought back the two-inch reel with DMX’s verse on it and JAY-Z didn’t spit yet,” he said. “So when we put the record out and Dog heard JAY-Z was on it, he stepped to Eric Nicks and he called me and was like, ‘Yo, you know that verse was just a ref, right? N-ggas went and put JAY-Z… If I’d have known that shyt I’d have spit my shyt better!’

“I was like, ‘But Dog, your shyt was crazy!’ He was like, ‘fukk that. Y’all ain’t tell me that Jay was getting on the shyt. Next time we do a song, let me hear my shyt finished first!’ Dog’s passion, I can’t even compare it to nothing else in existence.”

Busta Rhymes also detailed DMX’s at times complicated creative process, saying: “Dog would tell you he coming to the studio and then he’ll tell you to meet him somewhere. You gotta go four-wheel motorcycle riding with him first, you gotta go to the hobby store and he’ll buy like a $30,000 remote control car and he builds it and then he wants to play with it in the street.

“Dog would take you on like a 15-hour excursion before he’d come studio, and then you’re lucky if he comes that day. He might make you do that shyt for three days in a row before he’d pull up to the studio — but when he come, he gonna deliver.”

What DMX Was Really Like In The Studio: A Deep Dive

“Why We Die” is the classic collaboration between Busta Rhymes, DMX and JAY-Z that was included on Busta’s 2000 album Anarchy.

DMX also featured on Busta’s star-studded remix of “Touch It” in 2006, which also boasted verses from Eminem, Lloyd Banks, Missy Elliott, Mary J. Blige, Papoose and Rah Digga.”

Busta Rhymes Recalls DMX's Heated Reaction To JAY-Z's 'Why We Die' Verse

re'up

Superstar
Daps
Reppin
San Diego
Damn I forget about this. This was a big deal back then, but the beat was wack. very 2000 type beat. I remember the rugby sleeves rhyme scheme.

Jay had a lot of personal, introspection around 2000. When someone who was pregnant baby miscarriaged. He talked about it on This Can't Be Life. The Dynasty had maybe his most confessional tracks.

Was this on the album with Break Ya Neck?

Last edited:

FreshAIG

Staff member
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Californ-i-a by way of BK
All these nikkas idolized Jay.. X was no different. I think he was the most shouted out rapper on X’s first three joints
He didnt idolize Jay, he saw him as a peer and he respected him greatly though. One of his last interview with Talib he talked about how great a lyricist Jay was.