Byke before you get a chance to miss us: Miami Heat 2020 Offseason Thread

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
“When defeat comes, accept it as a signal that your plans are not sound, rebuild those plans, and set sail once more toward your coveted goal“

Since we will not lose, they try to help them cheat
But we will not lose, for even in defeat
There's a valuable lesson learned, so it evens up for we
When the grass is cut, the snakes will show
I gotta thank the little homie Bron for that, though (Ha ha)
Savin' is the hassle of speakin' to half of these a$$holes
And I'ma let karma catch up to @KevJ whoa

Heat coach Erik Spoelstra, wiping away tears before saying: “This has been such an unprecedented year. We didn’t get the Final result we wanted, but these are going to be lifetime memories that we have together. You’re in this business to be able to be around people like this.”

Next Up

NBA Draft

The 2020 NBA Draft
The Heat have one pick in the 2020 NBA Draft: No. 20.

Our draft expert, Eric Fawcett, has the Heat selecting Theo Maledon with that pick in his most recent mock draft. A 6-foot-3 guard from France, Maldeon spent this season playing for ASVEL in the Euroleague, posting averages of 7.4 points and 3.1 assists per game.

The Heat's second-round pick (No. 50) will go to the Atlanta Hawks by way of the Sacramento Kings, Cleveland Cavaliers and Boston Celtics.

Free Agency

The Heat are going to have some important decisions to make in free agency.

The earliest Jimmy Butler can become a free agent is 2022 — he has a $37.7 million player option in his contract for the 2022-23 season — but Goran Dragic, Solomon Hill, Meyers Leonard, Jae Crowder and Derrick Jones Jr. will each unrestricted free agents this offseason.

Additionally, Kelly Olynyk has a $12.2 million player option in his contract for next season that he could decline to test free agency. Ira Winderman of the South Florida Sun Sentinel wrote in April that he is likely to opt into that option, but Olynyk has until the middle of November to make his decision.

Hill, Leonard and Jones didn't contribute much in the playoffs, but Dragic and Crowder were both a huge part of the Heat's success. After coming off the bench for all but three games during the regular season, Dragic started at point guard for the Heat in the postseason and was the team's second-leading scorer with 19.9 points per game. Crowder didn't provide quite the same scoring punch, but his 3-point shooting and defence was key to them upsetting the Bucks in the second round and outlasting the Celtics in the third round.

The issue the Heat face is that they are one of the many teams reportedly hoping to have cap space in the summer of 2021 when a number of Tier 1 players could become free agents, including Giannis Antetokounmpo. Important as they were this season, are the Heat willing to commit long-term to either Dragic or Crowder and jeopardize not having max cap space in 2021?

Assuming he makes a full recovery from the plantar fascia tear he suffered in Game 1 of the Finals, there should be a decent market for Dragic in particular. When ranking the best point guards in the 2020 free agent class before the playoffs, the only player I had ahead of Dragic was Fred VanVleet. Teams might not be willing to give him a long-term contract considering his age, but it wouldn't shock me if he ends up getting a sizable one-year contract from a team in need of some playmaking in the backcourt.

The flip side is that the Heat will have a decent amount of money to spend should those players walk and Olynyk decline his player option, making them the best team with cap space. The Heat could use that cap space to retain Dragic, Crowder and whoever else on one-year deals if they are dead set on maximizing their cap space for 2021, of course, but they could also use it to pursue some of this offseason's best free agents, such as VanVleet, Bogdan Bogdanovic, Danilo Gallinari, Davis Bertans or Serge Ibaka.

Bam Adebayo's extension
bam-and-giannis_165a4m5gflcdz1l539kice72cl.jpeg

Three years removed from being the No. 14 pick in the draft, Bam Adebayo is now eligible to sign a rookie scale extension.

Adebayo proved himself to be one of the best centres in the league this season, but don't be surprised if the Heat delay his extension until next offseason.

Why? Once again, to maximize cap space for 2021.

While the Heat run the risk of Adebayo signing an offer sheet with another team by not offering him an extension this offseason, it's hard to imagine a world in which the Heat don't match whatever he receives in restricted free agency considering how important he is to the team's present and future, even if it's for the full max. The way the Heat benefit in delaying his extension until next offseason is that Adebayo has a $15.3 million cap hold for 2021. If he signs an extension this offseason, his salary in the first year of that extension would replace that number, so anything over $15.3 million would eat into their cap space.

In his third season, Adebayo averaged 15.9 points, 10.2 rebounds, 5.1 assists, 1.3 blocks and 1.1 steals per game. He was named an All-Star for the first time in his career and made the All-NBA Defensive Second Team alongside Patrick Beverley, Eric Bledsoe, Kawhi Leonard and Brook Lopez.

Adebayo took his game to another level in the playoffs, posting 18.5 points, 11.4 rebounds, 4.9 assists and 1.2 steals per game prior to the Finals.

Heading into the season restart, our NBA.com Staff ranked Adebayo as the 18th best player in the league.

@intruder v6.1
@Primetime21
@Da_Eggman
@F K
@Sauce Dab
@Stepintoaworld
@He Who Posts Well
@iamduval
@Makavalli
@Brief Keef
@Breh Obama
@Draje
@HiphopRelated
@Mantis Toboggan M.D.
@Green Ranger
@BloBama
@LeoTheGreat
@Alexander The Great
@Pito
@madness
@AkaDemiK
@McPiff
@((ReFleXioN)) EteRNaL
@Mr. Brown
@BushidoBrown
@Freddie.Cane
@Meh
@TheGregReaper
@954UAlreadyknow
@JayStarwind
@FreddyCalhoun
@TexasMeh
@mannyrs13
@Groovy Tony
@Piffiztheanswer
@NaijaProdigy Redux
@alpo
@Samson
8344885-C-D362-4-E23-8-E4-A-B89-E5-FD62-D3-A.jpg

mannyrs13

Compound Kingpin
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Focusville, USA
Proud of what they accomplished this year. Just wasn't meant to be. Hopefully they keep the core players and get better in the offseason. They weren't supposed to make it this far and they did. Lots of potential on there. Lets see what they have planned for next season and what the league does with the schedule cuz normally they would be starting the season again soon.

Starboy52

Superstar
Daps
Ideally, we try to keep Dragic, Olynyk, and Crowder right?

I love Airplane Mode, but breh seemingly got baited into a dumb foul every time he came in for us.

HiphopRelated

In Broad Daylight
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
My brother's keeper
Aiight, so priorities,

1. a creator at guard, Derrick Rose anyone? Would go the CP3 route if I didn't believe in 2021 but that's too much money. Love the run Goran gave us

2. Need mobile size, Ibaka is a FA but have no idea on what a contract looks like for him. Y'all saw me mention Nerlens before, but now thinking if he has enough bulk

3. Elite scorer, but again, that's likely 2021 FA. Our best case might end up being a Dame Lillard forcing out, saying Miami or nothing and we give up Herro and cap space or something along those lines

Basically I view next year as the year where the pieces have to come together before the shake up in 2021. People gotta show who belong.

intruder

SOHH Class of 2003 and CASUAL sports fan
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
Love
Now that I'm out of my feelings... Addressing our free agents for now

Goran Dragiç
I'd love to keep Dragiç but I feel like the Mavs are gonna break the bank to get him to either defect it fukk us over like they tried to with Hassan and UD back in the day.

Derrick J. Jones
He's due for a payday and I don't see us keeping him. Besides Okpala is pretty much the same player (on defense) with higher ceiling

Kelly Olynyk
I'm fine with letting him walk. Don't get it twisted I like Kelly and his effort on the floor but he's just not what we need in a big right now.

Jae Crowder
I'd love to keep the guy if the price tag makes sense considering our future plans. He's our modern day young Udonis Haslem glue guy. Tenacious on defense and will take what he can on offense. He seems like the ultimate Riley guy so I can see Riley trying to keep him.

Meyers Leonard
Bye. I liked his energy and team spirit but.. Bye.

Edit: My bad , Kelly Olynyk is a player option. Not team option as I thought. I'm sure Kelly will opt in as he won't get $12M anywhere else.

Last edited:

Da_Eggman

Can't trust every face you gotta watch em
Daps
Reppin
So-Fla
Aiight, so priorities,

1. a creator at guard, Derrick Rose anyone? Would go the CP3 route if I didn't believe in 2021 but that's too much money. Love the run Goran gave us

2. Need mobile size, Ibaka is a FA but have no idea on what a contract looks like for him. Y'all saw me mention Nerlens before, but now thinking if he has enough bulk

3. Elite scorer, but again, that's likely 2021 FA. Our best case might end up being a Dame Lillard forcing out, saying Miami or nothing and we give up Herro and cap space or something along those lines

Basically I view next year as the year where the pieces have to come together before the shake up in 2021. People gotta show who belong.
I think Dame may give it another season than ask to be traded but he be perfect for us

Starboy52

Superstar
Daps
Aiight, so priorities,

Ibaka on a 1 year (Gotta save money for the eventual Giannis pitch) and another Ball Handler..? :jbhmm: