Caitlyn Clark signs a LeBron Money Nike deal

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Caitlin Clark's Indiana Fever jersey becomes top-selling jersey for a draft pick​

The Fanatics website has already “sold out” of its initial batch of Clark's Indiana Fever jersey.

Caitlin Clark

Caitlin Clark in Brooklyn, N.Y., on Sunday.Brian Babineau / NBAE via Getty Images

April 17, 2024, 1:55 PM EDT

By Marlene Lenthang

Basketball superstar Caitlin Clark has broken another yet another record — her Indiana Fever jersey is the top-selling jersey ever for a draft pick.

Clark, 22, has had quite the year shattering records on the court for the Iowa Hawkeyes and boosting women’s basketball viewership. It was no surprise this week when she was selected as the No. 1 overall pick in the 2024 WNBA draft by the Indiana Fever.

Her Fever jersey with the number 22 is already the top-earning jersey ever for a draft pick, according to the licensed sportswear retailer Fanatics.

The Fanatics website said Wednesday that it was “sold out” of its initial batch of the jersey but that pre-orders were still available and that restock is expected to ship in August.

Clark’s star power also set a television milestone — ESPN coverage of the WNBA draft averaged a record 2.45 million viewers, with viewership peaking at 3.09 million, the network said in a news release. That’s four times the viewership of the 2023 draft, which drew an audience of 572,000, ESPNreported, and it eclipses the previous draft record of 601,000, in 2004.

Caitlin Clark's popularity intensifies after WNBA draft

02:25

The Clark effect has also led to a pickup in ticket sales.

Even before the draft, soon after Clark announced her plans to enter the WNBA draft, the Fever had a spike in ticket inquiries, The Associated Press previously reported. Meanwhile, the Las Vegas Acesannounced their July 2 game against the Fever would move from the 12,000-seat Michelob Ultra Arena to T-Mobile Arena, which seats 18,000 for basketball.

Caitlin Clark talks about her WNBA dream

01:52

“This is a dream. This is something I wrote down on a piece of paper when I was in, like, second grade. Get a basketball scholarship. Play in the WNBA,” Clark previously told NBC News correspondent Stephanie Gosk.

At her introductory news conference with the Fever on Wednesday, Clark said: “I can’t think of a better place to start off my career.”

Asked how she hopes to inspire the next generation, she said: “A lot of the reason I am who I am today is that I had this constant confidence in myself. I think that’s a thing a lot of young girls struggle with today.

“It’s really the support system around them that instills that confidence in them. That’s what I'm so lucky for, whether it was youth coaches I had growing up, whether it was high school coaches, whether it was my parents, whether it was my family, they never told me I couldn't achieve something," she said.

"It was always like, 'If you want it you can go get it; you just have to earn it,'" she said. "And I think that’s the biggest thing I would tell the younger generation.”

bnew

Veteran
Daps

Caitlin Clark Jersey Out-Sells Entire Dallas Cowboys Roster​

The most-popular team in football is apparently no match for the tour de force that is new WNBA superstar Caitlin Clark

In this story:​

DALLAS COWBOYS

The Dallas Cowboys are undoubtedly the most-popular team in the NFL, but even they are apparently no match for the phenomenon that is Caitlin Clark.

According to dikk Weiss of the New York Daily News, Clark, the No. 1 pick by the Indiana Fever in Wednesday's WNBA Draft, sold more jerseys on her draft day alone than every player on the Cowboys roster combined did last year.

caitlin jerry

Considering that Cowboys linebacker Micah Parsons had the best-selling jersey in the NFL last year and quarterback Dak Prescott placed fifth on that same list, Clark outselling the entire team is simply mind-blowing.

The former Iowa Hawkeyes star is nothing short of a national sensation, though. The final three NCAA Tournament games she starred in each broke the women's basketball viewership record at the time, with the national championship game against South Carolina coming in at an astronomical 18.7 million viewers on average. In fact, it was the first time that the women's national championship game drew more viewers than the men's game in the same year.

Even before officially entering the WNBA, Clark had a seismic impact on the league's popularity. The Fever will play 36 of their 40 regular season games on national TV, up from just 22 the year before. Additionally, opposing teams have already moved their games against the Fever to bigger arenas to accommodate more fans.

For all of Clark's accomplishments, selling more jerseys than an entire NFL team, let alone the Cowboys, may be the greatest sign of her sheer star power.

Big Boss

Veteran
Daps
Reppin
NULL
It was a bidding war for Caitlin :wow:

Clark's initial name, image and likeness deal, signed in 2022, expired at the end of the 2023-24 season.

The new deal would be the richest sponsorship contract for a women's basketball player.

Under Armour and Adidas also participated in contract discussions with Clark's team in February, according to the WSJ and Athletic. Puma also showed some interest but walked away when told the bidding would start at $3 million per year, according to the WSJ.

Clark received offers of $16 million over four years from Under Armour and $6 million over four years from Adidas, with both including a signature shoe, according to the WSJ.

10bandz

RIP to the GOAT
Supporter
Daps
28M over 8 years. $3.5M a year and u try hard ass nikkas was up in here acting like she was gonna be making eight figures a year :mjlol:

Professor Emeritus

Veteran
Poster of the Year
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
the ether
28M over 8 years. $3.5M a year and u try hard ass nikkas was up in here acting like she was gonna be making eight figures a year :mjlol:

:mjlol: try hard ass nikka

You thought the difference between "some $50 million" on a random-ass guess and $28 million in reality was big enough to tag me over a week later?

That was one of the most accurate guesses in the thread. I stay on your mind. :wow:

Diondon

Thanks to the lawyers uh, I marbled the foyer
Daps
Reppin
Somewhere tropic...
Hope this somehow translates to financial success for the WNBA
Sometimes all you need is a MJ type player