calling all 6 cert STEM brehs, NASA wants you to live in a Mars simulation for 1 year for 60k

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
NASA has a new Mars mission: Seeking volunteers to spend an entire year living in a simulated version of the Red Planet.
Why it matters: The surface mission on a 3D-printed habitat, called the Mars Dune Alpha, will help inform the agency's plans for human exploration of the planet, per a statement from NASA.
The simulated Martian environment will put Earth-bound 'astronauts' to the test
Photo: NASA/X

The big picture: The second of three planned ground-based missions, known as "CHAPEA," (Crew Health and Performance Exploration Analog) is due to start in spring next year. Those participating will be compensated, with more information provided during the candidate screening process.

• To qualify, you must be a healthy, nonsmoking U.S. citizen or permanent residents between 30-55 years old and proficient in English.
  • Applicants must have the required STEM qualifications and experience in the field, or a minimum of 1,000 hours piloting an aircraft or the requisite military experience.
How it works: "Each CHAPEA mission involves a four-person volunteer crew living and working inside a 1,700-square-foot, 3D-printed habitat based at NASA's Johnson Space Center in Houston," per NASA's statement.

• The habitat simulates the challenges of a mission on Mars. These include "resource limitations, equipment failures, communication delays, and other environmental stressors," according to NASA.
  • "Crew tasks include simulated spacewalks, robotic operations, habitat maintenance, exercise, and crop growth."
What's next: Applications close on April 2.

:mjgrin:
could you do it? would you do it?

one small step for man, one giant leap for coli kind :wow:

CopiousX

Superstar
Supporter
Daps
they got STEM degrees? :mjlol:
Yes . :sas2:

bytch is impressive :takedat:

Rosie-Moore-06.jpg

Rosie Moore spends her days dealing with pythons, sharks and alligators, but the adventurous 26-year-old jokes she’s often compared to Hannah Montana due to her glamorous side hustle as a model.

Moore, who works in Florida for Delray Beach’s coastal water resources management team, comes face-to-face daily with deadly creatures people would usually avoid — and loves it.

However, the geoscientist is also signed as a professional model and her Instagram is filled with impressive brand deals and collaborations.

The stylish scientist — despite finding success with her modeling career — says she still intends to pursue her chosen field and noted people’s perceptions of her in both jobs.

“Whereas once they know you have a respected career it’s like something flips in them and they think more highly of you,” she mused in the essay about modeling. “

Last edited:

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
Yes . :sas2:

bytch is impressive :takedat:

Rosie-Moore-06.jpg

Rosie Moore spends her days dealing with pythons, sharks and alligators, but the adventurous 26-year-old jokes she’s often compared to Hannah Montana due to her glamorous side hustle as a model.

Moore, who works in Florida for Delray Beach’s coastal water resources management team, comes face-to-face daily with deadly creatures people would usually avoid — and loves it.

However, the geoscientist is also signed as a professional model and her Instagram is filled with impressive brand deals and collaborations.

“People always joke on Instagram that I’m like Hannah Montana, because I’ll post and I’ll be out in the field doing crazy things or up to my waist in mud, and then the next thing they know I’ll be at a luxury event in full hair and makeup and heels and a dress,”.

The stylish scientist — despite finding success with her modeling career — says she still intends to pursue her chosen field and noted people’s perceptions of her in both jobs.

“Whereas once they know you have a respected career it’s like something flips in them and they think more highly of you,” she mused in the essay about modeling. “On the other hand, in the science world, I think people respect the fact that I model, so it’s interesting that it goes one way but not the other.”

According to Moore, she ventured into modeling accidentally in wanting to encourage more girls to engage in science-centric activities.

“There’s a little niche for girls that can free-dive well to model with sharks or underwater, so I started meeting up with photographers for some product shoots and things like that,” she explained, adding she makes sure to prioritize posting wildlife and outdoor content.

“So I can show other girls that it’s cool to have hobbies and be okay with going outside,” she said.

well shyt get her to apply.

you can be the first breh with a PAWM (phat azz white martian)

Paper Boi

Veteran
Supporter
Daps
Reppin
NULL
They want a 30-55 year old STEM educated American who would essentially have to quit their day for a one time 60k/year payout?

Unless STEM folks in their mid career are down that bad, this doesn’t seem worth it. For retired military folks tho? sure.
yeah i'm gonna guess it's probably mostly for ex-military because it says

• Applicants must have the required STEM qualifications and experience in the field, or a minimum of 1,000 hours piloting an aircraft or the requisite military experience.

just created the thread because living on simulated Mars sounds like an interesting idea. if the money was tax free and everything was all expenses pay, so you basically just netted 60k, i don't think it would be that bad assuming you have the qualifications. :ehh:

and you'd be contributing to something cool without actually having to go on the real mars death mission :heh:

Greed

Pro
Daps
I guess the people this appeals to are the ones they want to target, cuz otherwise there’s no way most are going to basically live isolated with little food just for 60k a year

The people passionate about this would likely do it without pay, so I presume that’s their target